Who can shorten a shotgun barrel for me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I have a Tristar Viper G2 PRO sporting shotgun with a 30" barrel, with screw in chokes. I would like to make it shorter, about 28" and keep the screw in chokes.

Any recommendations for somebody to do the work for me?

Thanks, y'all!

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    Going from a 30" to 28" you would be better off buying a new barrel -- Briley charges $175 to tread your barrel for a choke plus $95 to cut it.That way you would have a barrel to sell .

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Might check with @AllenM (Diamond collision in Avon) to see if he could do and how much but you may come out ahead replacing the barrel if available or even selling the shotgun and getting one with the 28” barrel.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I have an o/u that i shoot better than the semiauto. Biggest difference between the two is barrel length. Just trying to see if that would make a difference, is all.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I ended up with a Winchester 101 O/U in a trade deal. Nice gun, but it has 30” barrels and no choke tubes. I’ve always preferred 26” barrels, they just swing better for me. Cost prohibitive to try to change it so, I did another trade deal with a buddy that had one of my old 26” Citori’s. Win, win! Now I have a 26” and a 30”.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I have an o/u that i shoot better than the semiauto. Biggest difference between the two is barrel length. Just trying to see if that would make a difference, is all.
    Two different beasts. But maybe go and rent a 28” semiauto to see how it feels. Its a drive for you but Indiana Gun Club has the basic Beretta A300 synthetic stock with I believe a 28” barrel as their rentals. But I think comparing an O/U to a semi-auto is like comparing a bolt rifle to an AR. 2 entirely different things. And don’t take offense but realistically a Tristar is not a premium shotgun and getting good performance from a budget O/U is easier than getting it from a budget semi-auto. Maybe try a little upgraded shotgun and see how you do. If that makes a difference consider selling yours and adding the $ you would spend modifying in up grading. Just my :twocents:, YMMV

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Two different beasts. But maybe go and rent a 28” semiauto to see how it feels. Its a drive for you but Indiana Gun Club has the basic Beretta A300 synthetic stock with I believe a 28” barrel as their rentals. But I think comparing an O/U to a semi-auto is like comparing a bolt rifle to an AR. 2 entirely different things. And don’t take offense but realistically a Tristar is not a premium shotgun and getting good performance from a budget O/U is easier than getting it from a budget semi-auto. Maybe try a little upgraded shotgun and see how you do. If that makes a difference consider selling yours and adding the $ you would spend modifying in up grading. Just my :twocents:, YMMV
    Now thats interesting. Been wanting to go there, too. Now a decent reason.

And no hurt here about tristar. I chose it because i didnt know if i would like sporting clays, of if i could learn to shoot a shotgun. Cheap way in.

Thanks for the advice.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Now thats interesting. Been wanting to go there, too. Now a decent reason.

And no hurt here about tristar. I chose it because i didnt know if i would like sporting clays, of if i could learn to shoot a shotgun. Cheap way in.

Thanks for the advice.
    Question, have you called Tri Star? Seems like they would have barrels to sell...idk....maybe I'm wrong.

I can tell you, you'll be into it a hefty sum if you choose the cut and rethread for choke tubes. Then you'll have to purchase the tubes that are specific for the threads cut.

I think @AllenM bought some choke taps a while back....again, I might be wrong.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    1333.jpg

*Results may vary.

Top Bottom