White house petition on Executive Orders.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Signed #928

Spikedog, you might want to check this. I didn't think the quote sounded like 18th century English either. From Benjamin Franklin - Wikiquote:

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Widely attributed to Franklin on the Internet, sometimes without the second sentence. It is not found in any of his known writings, and the word "lunch" is not known to have appeared anywhere in English literature until the 1820s, decades after his death. The phrasing itself has a very modern tone and the second sentence especially might not even be as old as the internet. Some of these observations are made in response to a query at Google Answers.[8]

The earliest known similar statements are:
    A democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Gary Strand, Usenet group sci.environment, 23 April 1990. [9]
    Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
    Marvin Simkin, "Individual Rights", Los Angeles Times, 12 January 1992:[10]
    Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
    James Bovard, Lost Rights: The Destruction of American Liberty (1994), ISBN 0312123337, p. 333
    Also cited as by Bovard in the Sacramento Bee (1994)

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    #2866.

It is a sad state of affairs when we feel like a petition is needed to require the President to follow the constitution he swore to uphold.

HowBoutThat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Fellow Gun owners, I'm actually the author of the petition and want to thank you for your support and getting out the link. I agree with the above post, it is a shame that we have to petition the obvious. It's of dire importance that Executive Order is not used in ANY case that might have Constitutional questions. The recent threat against our right to bear arms is only scratching the surface. If the president is successful in leveraging Executive Order to raise the debt ceiling or any other number of things outside his power, it will set precedent and open pandora's box.

Thank you for helping bring visibility to this issue and making the White House respond to the American people.

Anson (signer #1)

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    Fellow Gun owners, I'm actually the author of the petition and want to thank you for your support and getting out the link. I agree with the above post, it is a shame that we have to petition the obvious. It's of dire importance that Executive Order is not used in ANY case that might have Constitutional questions. The recent threat against our right to bear arms is only scratching the surface. If the president is successful in leveraging Executive Order to raise the debt ceiling or any other number of things outside his power, it will set precedent and open pandora's box.

Thank you for helping bring visibility to this issue and making the White House respond to the American people.

Anson (signer #1)

Thanks Anson for authoring this Petition. I have seen other's on the same subject that were not well written enough for me to put my name to.

Hopefully it reaches the 25k mark this week!

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    Signed it, and posted to FB. pretty much told everybody to pass it on, or they were the problem with society in this country.

downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN

Anson (signer #1)
    Thanks for posting Anson

Top Bottom