Which stainless steel finish do you prefer: matte or polished?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What stainless steel finish do you prefer?

• Total voters

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Vote! Which is easier to take care of? Any reasons I'd want one over the other? Just trying to decide which I want to get for my first gun (CZ 75B).

Thanks! :rockwoot:

dsc03191copy.jpg

Last edited:

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Neither. Brushed for me, or at least I consider the S&W 686 stainless to be brushed, also the Dan Wesson CBOB. Looks nice, and in my opinion, doesn't show scratches that much, and if it is scratched, they are easier to polish out. Maybe such a finish can be described as a "low polish?"

Polished finish (such as a CZ75 high polish) looks a little too gaudy for my taste.

Matte stainless looks ok, but once stratched or worn, it would be very hard to polish it out without making it look worse. I've got CZ75 in matte finish, and it looks nice (but not nice as brushed stainless) and will sure display a lot of wear or dings that will be there to stay. Plus, to me, it looks too close to a non-stainless that's been cerakoted light grey. Don't get me wrong, I like it enough, but brushed stainless is my favorite.

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    I prefer matte over polished although there are plenty of polished ones I would take. Polished revolvers make me think of a cowboy movie prop.
    or for display only and not a real gun to use. But everyones taste is different. I think they both are probably about the same in effort to
    take care of scratches.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Neither. Brushed for me, or at least I consider the S&W 686 stainless to be brushed, also the Dan Wesson CBOB. Looks nice, and in my opinion, doesn't show scratches that much, and if it is scratched, they are easier to polish out. Maybe such a finish can be described as a "low polish?"

Polished finish (such as a CZ75 high polish) looks a little too gaudy for my taste.

Matte stainless looks ok, but once stratched or worn, it would be very hard to polish it out without making it look worse. I've got CZ75 in matte finish, and it looks nice (but not nice as brushed stainless) and will sure display a lot of wear or dings that will be there to stay. Plus, to me, it looks too close to a non-stainless that's been cerakoted light grey. Don't get me wrong, I like it enough, but brushed stainless is my favorite.

AHH! That's the gun I want. I like matte, but hear it gets smudged easily and polishes over time. I dunno what to do! :xmad:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Polished on knives, less likely to rust. Matte on guns, no one wants a glare off shinny metal when you are trying to shoot.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    AHH! That's the gun I want. I like matte, but hear it gets smudged easily and polishes over time. I dunno what to do! :xmad:

Good luck finding a brushed stainless 75B. I think they are only limited edition, but I could be wrong. They do look pretty amazing though.

The more common 75Bs are either matte stainless, polished stainless or satin nickel (not a stainless gun). The stainless 75Bs have an ambi safety. I have an 85 Combat duo-tone (satin nickel finish on the frame) and dig it quite a lot.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Good luck finding a brushed stainless 75B. I think they are only limited edition, but I could be wrong. They do look pretty amazing though.

The more common 75Bs are either matte stainless, polished stainless or satin nickel (not a stainless gun). The stainless 75Bs have an ambi safety. I have an 85 Combat duo-tone (satin nickel finish on the frame) and dig it quite a lot.

Yeah I don't think I've ever seen a non-user made brushed CZ 75B. Strictly talking between matte and polished stainless! Why would one need an ambi safety? Seems like just more stuff to go wrong.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah I don't think I've ever seen a non-user made brushed CZ 75B. Strictly talking between matte and polished stainless! Why would one need an ambi safety? Seems like just more stuff to go wrong.

Ambi-safety levers typically activate the same safety mechanism, it's jut that there is a lever on either side. Sort of handy (aka a necessity) for lefties like me, also handy if you ever happen to use your weapon with your off hand.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Appreciate the info, repped!

I'm having a ***** of a time deciding despite the poll. There's just something about polished...seems old school, I dunno. Maybe I watch too many action movies lol. :draw:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond

I like guns with the ambi safety because I am right handed and my son is left handed. An ambi safety is great for us for this reason.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Think I've finally decided on the polished stainless. There's just something about that shiny finish...growing up they were in movies and stuff and it's calling my name haha. Guess its the kid in me.

I feel like whenever I think about a gun, I think about that type of finish, though. Seems more old school (shiny revolvers, maybe?).

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I have this vision of one sweep of a flashlight beam giving up my location with a piece of polished stainless in my hands. Actually, I shiver at the thought.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    The only bad thing with stainless is matching things. It's hard to find accessories that match the same texture and color in. Seems that scopes and hand guards etc. are always a different look.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Wen I open carry in da hood I prefer polished so everyone knows not to mess wit me.

My hopeful edc is my M&P9, stainless with a matte black finish. Just need to get in more range time.

kazaam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2012
    Wen I open carry in da hood I prefer polished so everyone knows not to mess wit me.

My hopeful edc is my M&P9, stainless with a matte black finish. Just need to get in more range time.

haha, my brother says only drug dealers have polished guns, and my mom thinks theyre tacky. I like em though. :dunno: Matte seems like its not metal or something. It looks like the silver plastic in my car.

Top Bottom