• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I have a 22lr mainly to teach the kids to shoot.
    I have a 7.62x39 for SHTF preppin. I went with the AK over the AR for durability, ease of use, cheaper initial cost, and cheaper ammo.
    I have a 30-06 for long range shooting. If I ever go hunting down south, or if SHTF and I need something for long shots.
    I have a 44 mag rifle because I wanted something deer legal in Indiana that I could also get a pistol in the same caliber. It was between that and the 357.

Another one that have that is not mentioned much is a good, high powered pellet rifle. It is quiet and can take down a lot of small game. Ammo is common and cheap regardless of what's going on in politics.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Everyone should own a good rifle in .22lr, they are handy for affordable marksmanship practice, teaching kids and newbies and work quite well for putting some grub on the table.
    A good .308 or .30-06 (I prefer the former) would cover just about any issue one could run across in most of this country.
    After the above 2, a good .223/5.56 AR would be a nice thing to have.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The 7.62x51 and its civvy cousin the 308 Winchester are the most overrated cartridges in existence.

Just about anything they do, with the possible exception of short-range energy on target, can be done "better" (ie. less drop/drift/recoil) by its 6.5mm and 7mm cousins. Hell, a fast-twist 223 slinging 75/80gr VLDs has less drop & drift at long range than the 308 does!

Of course, you need to reload to take maximum advantage of this advantage.

If ya just HAVE to have 30cal, avoid the wimpy little sister and step up to the '06. While 308 components & ammo got super scarce the last 6 months, '06 stuff has been on the shelf of every shop or big-box store I've been to in this country (and I've been to quite a few all over the place).

6.5x55 supremacy!

I'm a 260 guy, but the Swede is awesome and WAY underrated.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The 7.62x51 and its civvy cousin the 308 Winchester are the most overrated cartridges in existence.

Just about anything they do, with the possible exception of short-range energy on target, can be done "better" (ie. less drop/drift/recoil) by its 6.5mm and 7mm cousins. Hell, a fast-twist 223 slinging 75/80gr VLDs has less drop & drift at long range than the 308 does!

Of course, you need to reload to take maximum advantage of this advantage.

If ya just HAVE to have 30cal, avoid the wimpy little sister and step up to the '06. While 308 components & ammo got super scarce the last 6 months, '06 stuff has been on the shelf of every shop or big-box store I've been to in this country (and I've been to quite a few all over the place).

I'm a 260 guy, but the Swede is awesome and WAY underrated.

And here starts the caliber bashing. For some strange reason some folks just can resist.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You pretty much said it all at the outset. Everyone should own a .22 rifle and military calibers are tough to beat.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I was curious what folks think about this. If you're only going to own a few rifles, which calibers would be considered "must haves". I'm not too concerned with a set number of calibers since different individuals have different needs. I just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were. I'll give a short list of what I could get by with.

22lr-For plain old plinking fun
    .223-Plenty of ammo out there and good for critter control
    Either .308 or 30-06-Good for long range shooting and ammo is plentiful

Well, I just can't see owning "just a few" rifles. I do have several calibers:
    Top few are (kinda in favorite order):

22 LR Cheap to shoot, great small varmint/rodent and teaching / practice caliber.
    .243 Medium range flat shooting large varmint firearm - fun to shoot!
    7.62 X 39 Fairly cheap to shoot, good choice for SHTF firearms in AK & SKS rifles.
    .308 Good long range rifles - my Winchester lever, LR-308 great accuracy with my LR
    30-06 As above for my Garand's, US Enfield, 1903 A3 etc. SHTF firearms
    7.62 X 54R Great CHEAP, long range round for targeting SHTF firearms - Mosin 91-30, SVD-40 etc.
    7.5 X 55 Fine long range firearm Swiss K31 with scope Very Accurate
    6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser - very flat shooting long range firearm
    8 mm German, Turkish Mausers - Great SHTF medium firearms reasonable ammo costs.
    303 British Good medium / long range Enfield firearms fun to shoot
    30 M1 Carbine - fun shooter Great short range accuracy good SHTF firearm
    50 / 54 cal Muzzle loader Good deer hunting gun in Indiana cheap to shoot and fun

Probably going to add a few more calibers in the next year or so like a magnum maybe 300 Win mag - and a AR in 450 or Socum--- maybe a Lapua .338 or 50 BMG (just for fun)....

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have .22 LR, .223, .308, 30-06, 7.62x39, 7.62x54. At this point, I feel I need a 30x30 and a 45x70 (will probably end up with a .45 colt instead to match ammo with a revolver).

Top Bottom