• ...and so much more!
  • rlynch25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    South East Indy
    Which press will handle both 9mm and .223

I want to begin reloading both 9mm and .223 rounds. I'm a little confused by what I'm reading on some Lee presses. Will the Lee Breech Lock Challenger kit handle both? What is the difference between the 50th Anniversary Breech lock Challenger Kit and and the Breech Lock Challenger kit?

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have the Lee turrent press (the 3 die style), I have loaded 9mm, 223, 30-06 on it.
    that being said I also have 2 RCBS rockchucker presses. Now I load all my rifle calibers on the RCBS presses. If I was buying presses again I would go with the RCBS press first.
    Nothing wrong with the Lee presses mind you but, the Lee single stage press that I've seen are cast aluminum with aluminum handles.(I've broke the handle on my turrent press and so did my brother). The RCBS presses are cast steel with steel handles. you can buy the kits that come with everything to load but dies and components the RCBS kit has a much nicer scale than the lee kits also.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Dillon 650

True story.....

I wore my Square D out finally after 20 years of use and probally somewhere around 100000 rounds of reloads :-)

Told Dillon it wasn't working right anymore, they said send it back to them, did....

New Square D showed up in the old ones place.... setting up to do another workout on the press..... You can't go wrong with a Dillon!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single-Stage Press Kit is suitable for reloading any pistol and rifle (thru .460 Weatherby) cartridge, so yes you can load 9mm and .223 on this press. Of course, you will need separate dies for each caliber.

The only difference I see in the above Lee kit and the Anniversary kit is that in the more expensive Lee kit, you get the Lee Auto Prime and the 11 piece Lee Autoprime Shellholder. A lot of rifle reloaders like to hand prime their primers. It isn't really necessary and you can get along fine without it.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    550 or 650. Volume would make the difference for me. Those 2 rounds tend to eat large qty's of ammo so I would get a progressive.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    After a lot of reading and analyzing. . . . . . .

I think I'll go Dillon 650. Who is the dealer nearest Marion, who advertises here, who carries Dillon? I will load .22-250 and .308, plus (for Desert Eagle) .357mag, .44mag and .50AE , and the old faithful .45ACP. (I'm looking for .45 carbide dies, anyone?) Will Dillon do ALL of these (not on the same day, of course. May occasionally do some 9x19. Thanks for all the info, guyz. Pat.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    What he said. :lol2:

What they said. Just do a google video search of a dillon 550b and you'll see how much faster it is to reload quality ammo. I made 300 rounds of 223 last night in an hour and a half taking several breaks.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    i havent had any problems with lee. There well priced for a beginner. Start with something well priced and then move up later if you still decide to reload. I dont know about you but i wouldnt want to spend a bunch of money then a few months or a year down the road not want to reload or loose intrest. Start with lee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Dillon 650

True story.....

I wore my Square D out finally after 20 years of use and probally somewhere around 100000 rounds of reloads :-)

Told Dillon it wasn't working right anymore, they said send it back to them, did....

New Square D showed up in the old ones place.... setting up to do another workout on the press..... You can't go wrong with a Dillon!

It's true!!

For those of you who doubt, I can put you in contact with the guy who has over 1/2 a million on a 550. It was over 400,000 when he had it rebuilt. They just don't build 'em like they used to, eh? :D

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I load both on my 550B. If someone is looking to get a 550B, I could be talked out of mine so I could get a 650.....

davej48

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2009
    TN
    I think a beginning reloader is much better served with a single stage press where he or she can learn the fundamentals one step at a time. Lee, Lyman, or RCBS all make good starter presses.

Top Bottom