• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CAT 1000B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    I'd go with the XD. Of the choices you listed, that is the one I would be carrying. I would be carrying it until I was ready for bed, then put it on the nightstand when I went to bed. It would be right there ready to go with me again in the morning.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    my choices would be....

1.) Whatever one you are the best shot with. Only hits count.
    2.) XD - capacity for multiple attackers, or if your aim goes south because you are panicked. (Still have to be wary of your backstop)
    3.) 1911

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    1911 and surefire or other flashlight with a spare mag. My choice when it is on my hip instead of in the safe while going to bed. Otherwise there is always an 870, 18" barrel cylinder bore and light.

I do have an XD 9 and others that do not see nightstand duty.

bulldog451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    The .45 will be the most effective with regards to "stopping power", and is less likely to over-penetrate an adversary, but it depends on your level of experience with it. If you are really comfortable with the single action pistol, that would, in my opinion, be your best bet. The thing you should practice, though, is working with a GOOD flashlight along with your pistol. There are several different techniques. Do your research and decide wich one works best for you, then practice, practice, practice...with an UNLOADED gun!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    XD or Colt 1911 (assuming it's completely reliable) all day, or in this case, all night long.

Personally I like something with as high of a capacity as I can get by the bed. A G17 with 33+1 rounds and a mounted light = Winning.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Have you ever tried point shooting those handguns? As long as they are all dependable, you want the one best suited to you.

If you are awakened in the night you want the firearm that points most naturally for you. Night sights, lasers, etc are great if you have time and mental facilities within one second of opening your eyes. Myself, even if I slip my glasses on, it takes a couple minutes before I can really see anything. But my Beretta points so natuarally for me, I can generally hit where I want.

Generally you point shoot best whatever you shoot most often. When I shot LOTS of bullseye matches with a revolver, my natural point shooting was better on a revolver than any semi auto, large or small, including the 1911. When I started shooting action pistol/ipsc/idpa I used 1911 chassis handguns. They became my natural shooters.

Go out to the range an put a full size silhouette at about 25 feet. If need be, put electician's tape over the front and back sight, raise the pistol rapidly looking only at the target, not the handgun. Point to center of mass discharging the handgun 6 times rapidly. Repeat with each firearm. (It is kind of a fun drill) One of them will be noticably better centered and tighter than the others. That one will be your best choice for a night stand firearm.

Good Luck

^^^^^^^^^^^BEST^^^^^^^^^^^^

And adding a laser sight to the winner would be good too. That having been said, any functioning handgun would be better than nothing at all.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    I personally have a .357 snubbie for nightstand duties even though I am a 1911 fan. My choice is for a couple reasons. 1 don't have to worry about changing mags frequently to prevent the springs from going soft, 2. With a revolver, anyone in my family can pick it up and defend themselves under stress/duress with out worry of a jam or is the slide racked and cocked.
    I also keep a Mag light on the night stand ready to light the way.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    Im going with the XD9 sc for now, I like shooting it, 14 or 17
    rounds also.

I dont want to risk my Colt 1911.

Jimmy

Top Bottom