• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If you want to meet me at MCFG sometime I'd be happy to let you try out the I-Dots. I sold the Glock with the Big Dot, but I still have one on my 870 and its the same dot.

Yea, that would be great. I'll PM ya later, maybe we can meet up on a weekend?

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I consider the I-Dot (or "hackthorn" without the rear dot) to be the best of both worlds. I've used standard three dot sights, and big dots. The I-Dot brought back the precision of standard sights without sacrificing the speed in acquisition and transition of big dots.

I've used Big Dots and the I-Dot actually grabs my attention faster. And it's not a small front sight by any stretch of the imagination. I do ok. ;)

Wow. I see that it's almost the same size. Guess it was a perspective thing.

Glad they work out for you.

Personally, I've seen no loss in precision from the Big Dot, like some people claim. In fact, I get more 100 yard hits on steel from the XS than from the standard 3 dot sights.

So, I-Dot gets Hemingway's official seal of approval. I'm sure that will cause all of you to run out and buy them :)

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Truglo TFO's. Best of both worlds, light pipes with a tritium vial. Bright by day, glow at night.

UNLOCKEM

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Ok so now I will have to get to the LGS and have a look now that I have lots of choices to work with. Thanks!

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    try doing one handed manipulations with TFO's... not so good.

To each their own. I prefer a slimmer profile when carrying, speed of presentation and acquiring a sight picture trumps the remote possibility of needing to manipulate the slide one handed, (I have confidence in my gun and ammo functioning properly in a self defense situation).

It's great that they make so many different options so a person can tailor their gun to their needs. The OP asked for options and I just threw out one of my favorites, his decision on whether they will meet his needs or not.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    To each their own. I prefer a slimmer profile when carrying, speed of presentation and acquiring a sight picture trumps the remote possibility of needing to manipulate the slide one handed, (I have confidence in my gun and ammo functioning properly in a self defense situation).

It's great that they make so many different options so a person can tailor their gun to their needs. The OP asked for options and I just threw out one of my favorites, his decision on whether they will meet his needs or not.

He's not talking about your gun and ammo not functioning properly.

He's talking about when you lose the ability to use your one of your hands/arms.

Can you shoot one handed. Can you reload one handed. Can you rack your slide one handed.

You need to be able to rack your slide against your belt, pants, holster, whatever with your rear sights.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    He's not talking about your gun and ammo not functioning properly.

He's talking about when you lose the ability to use your one of your hands/arms.

Can you shoot one handed. Can you reload one handed. Can you rack your slide one handed.

You need to be able to rack your slide against your belt, pants, holster, whatever with your rear sights.

I know exactly what he was talking about. In the real world the ability to one handed manipulate the slide in a self defense situation is down at the bottom of things you should worry about. A properly functioning gun with good ammo isn't likely to jam unless you limp wrist it and if you look at the stats 15 rounds out of a G19 in most situations is more than enough to end the situation whether it's because the BD is down, your down or the BD ran away.

So again for me the ability to quickly draw, present and acquire a proper sight picture out ways the off chance that I may need to manipulate the slide. Lower profile sights, for me, reduces the chance of a snag upon drawing, light pipe provide a bright sight picture in day and low light and the tritium vile provide night sights.

So again I'll repeat, "It's great that they make so many different options so a person can tailor their gun to their needs. The OP asked for options and I just threw out one of my favorites, his decision on whether they will meet his needs or not."

This is just my opinion and works for me. Your milage may differ but your solution isn't for everyone either.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If that works for you, then :yesway:

ME, I carry a gun because **** happens.

Because **** happens, I'll carry extra ammo. I'll continue to train to shoot, reload, and rack my slide one handed.

**** happens, and I'm going to be ready.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    TruGlow TFO sights are great during the day and at night. I have them on all of my Glocks.
    They are especially good for those of us who wear bifocals or trifocals. The look like 3 spot lights shining at you in the daytime and glow brightly at night.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Anybody have a pic of the Truglo sight mounted on their pistol they can post?

I'm a TruGlo TFO guy all the way. These pictures are on my G27 but I just put them on my new G17

9k=

2Q==

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have standard Glock night sights on my G23 and Big Dots on my G27. I really like the big dot sights, but they are really dim compared to the other night sights I have on every other gun. I'd probably add the bid dot sights to my G29, but don't know if it's worth spending the money for night sights when they are that dim.

But, for day time use, It's hard to beat the ease of picking up the front sight with the Big Dots.

Top Bottom