• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I believe the prep is the most important part. Making sure the parts are clean and using loctite primer should assure success..

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I believe the prep is the most important part. Making sure the parts are clean and using loctite primer should assure success..

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    You beat me to it NHT3. If you used blue and it didn't work, the threads may have had a bit of oil on them. Clean the male and female threads with solvent and put a drop of loctite on the screw threads. Loctite primer is not required but sets up quickly and has a higher shear strength. Great products.

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Loc-tite red is,"stud and bearing locker", and is generally for parts like cylinder head studs that you never intend to remove. The blue is,"thread locker", and is what I use for gun parts. I spent thirty years in aviation and also operated my own racing team for awhile. We never used the red on anything that we even remotely thought we might need to adjust or remove later as it does require a lot of heat and or elbow grease to remove. (Usually destroys the head on the fastener during removal too). :dunno:

'''LOACH"-- that is old school!! Along the lines of 'SLICK'.

I have NEVER used red, only blue for everything from guns to motorcycles.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are lighter duty thread lockers from Loc-tite. I use clear nail polish on problem fasteners on my guns and never have an issue. The fasteners come loose with no more effort than no locking agent at all. Just a dab on the threads is usually enough.

Jpfledderer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Westside
    The guys are right, do your homework. I took a loctite class about a month ago at work. It's about cleanliness and using the right product for the application. They thrived on using a primer to keep everything clean. Use little as possible and let it set up overnight before using your pistol, etc. I use the tube style, it's a big "Chapstick" tube that works great because it doesn't run. Good luck!

CitizenX

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Tippecanoe
    I've always used BLUE. It works well on problem pins as well. You know... the ones that like to walk out with recoil pressures. Loctite Black works great on polymer pieces that need repaired. Stuff is like 10x stronger than superglue I think.:)

Top Bottom