• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Ruger say's to use red. I bought some, then read the instructions.
    Will have to heat to 500 degree's to seperate parts or words to that affect.

So my question is, if I use Red is it really that permanent?
    Or do you suggest a lessor strength Locktite?
    I'm mounting scope rails and repairing a front site that came loose on a 22/45 if that matters.

Suggestions appreciated.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    I use Blue 242.

Loc-tite red is,"stud and bearing locker", and is generally for parts like cylinder head studs that you never intend to remove. The blue is,"thread locker", and is what I use for gun parts. I spent thirty years in aviation and also operated my own racing team for awhile. We never used the red on anything that we even remotely thought we might need to adjust or remove later as it does require a lot of heat and or elbow grease to remove. (Usually destroys the head on the fastener during removal too). :dunno:

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Blue failed to hold my 22/45 front sight. After a 500 rd. afternoon, it turned to gum and the screw was backing out. I used red, and the job was done. I have removed red in the past, it is not as difficult as some imply. Just my experience.

ApacheTactical

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    Hamilton County Indiana

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    The funny thing is that "Red" locktite used to come in a blue bottle and "Blue" came in a red bottle.

The maker has since corrected this confusion but I still have a red bottle of "Blue" locktite.

Atleast I think they corrected it. Anyway read the bottle carefully.

001-5.jpg

Last edited:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks for the tread on here, as I just bought red and blue locktite for my M1 Garand. Sight screws were coming out. Figured I'd use blue first, and if that didnt work, then the red. Had not heard about purple. I will have to try and find that as well now.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Loc-tite red is,"stud and bearing locker", and is generally for parts like cylinder head studs that you never intend to remove. The blue is,"thread locker", and is what I use for gun parts. I spent thirty years in aviation and also operated my own racing team for awhile. We never used the red on anything that we even remotely thought we might need to adjust or remove later as it does require a lot of heat and or elbow grease to remove. (Usually destroys the head on the fastener during removal too). :dunno:

Great information. Its hard to tell how hot I will be getting the parts, as mine are on the front sight and rear sight, but this will help some for sure. Thanks for your :twocents:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    How much is the correct amount? Just a drop from a toothpick?

Depending on what your putting on it. I usually use more if i know Im not going to take it off for awhile.

If this scope is going to be sitting on this gun for awhile use a drop and spread it around. If you plan on switching it out then just a tiny dab and dont spread it much

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Loc-Tite website.

You can't go wrong with the link that NHT3 posted. I would use their products as THEY recommend and you will achieve the best results.

PS: Just a personal note:The Permatex / Loc-Tite family of products hold the days of the week together as far as I have been able to tell. All of their products perform exactly as advertised and without them it would be raining aircraft parts and the Indy 500 would be the Indy 50. :twocents:

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Blue loctite= Weakest

Purple Loctite= Mid range (good for sights/flash hiders/etc)

Red loctite= NEVER and i mean NEVER use red. unless you enjoy using a torch on whatever you did put it on should you need to remove it.

all in all. i like purple.

Purple is the weakest, followed by blue, then red.

Purple is Threadlocker 222
    Blue is Threadlocker 242
    Red is Threadlocker 271

Top Bottom