• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Redoing my BOB and edc bag. My knife choices are: Kabar 1211 5", CRTK mod 60 SOTFB 4", Gerber Prodigy 5", and a Kershaw 1010 5" straight edge. All the others are partialy serrated. A 13" Cold Steel kukri is also a consideration.

Would love to get your opinions on which one you would choose and why.

Thanks.

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    Well, I usually carry a folder on a belt pouch and my pocket, so I would go with a fixed blade that has the best all around utility available. My fixed blades are either a Steve Woods hide fighter or a Grayman Mega Pounder.

But with your options that you have, I think the Kukri is a big heavy duty chopper, but, depending upon the weight of all of the other gear in your BOB, I might ditch it. My reasoning would depend on other defesive tools in your gear or if I wasn't going to get to the country. I would go the knife that you can sharpen the easiest, has the most full tang construction (strength).

That is just me.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I have the Cold Steel Bushman. Solid one piece construction, and a hollow handle to use it as a spear if all else fails. I also wrapped the handle in paracord for a solid grip.
    Not one of your choices listed, but for $20 on Amazon you can't beat it IMO.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Mora knives are the bomb. Very sharp, and inexpensive and light weight. Can do everything from gutting a squirrel or deer, to making shelter.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    451 detonics, good to see you back in the cutting edge sir. it's been a while since you been in here. and your right moras are very good, tough knives...especially since they are stick tang.

latham17

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    indy
    since its in your BOB it needs to be as multi functional as possible in an effort to save weight. i saw someone said "redundancy equals preparedness" NOT TRUE for a bug out bag, redundancy equals extra weight! It makes me wonder if anyone who makes a BOB goes out and actually bugs out for a night or two to test your equipment and your body. I use a KBAR tactool, it is so much more than just a knife!

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    the kbar tactool is a nice heavy duty tool, but that tool alone is 1.3 pounds, the moras weigh in at 4 oz with a sheath (not the best but a sheath none the less). so as we all know there is 16 oz in a pound, so he could technically carry 4 moras and still be lighter than your one tool :) i'm only really pointing this out because you came in here talking about weight savings, how you wonder if people test there kit, and your personal belief on the weight of a bob ect. also as far as it goes you will really need another blade imo as what are you going to use for food prep, dressing and cleaning game (especially smaller game), taking out splinters ect.

no offense meant but just how i see it. if your bugging out to a urban enviorment then i can see the tactool being a great piece of kit, but if your going out to the woods or will be in a rural environment getting to your bol, i don't see it as near as useful as a large fixed blade knife.

also i don't just bug out for 1-2 nights, i often take mine and go out for 3-5 days with nothing but it. so i definitely test my kit (well a lot say abuse but whatever)

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    since its in your BOB it needs to be as multi functional as possible in an effort to save weight. i saw someone said "redundancy equals preparedness" NOT TRUE for a bug out bag, redundancy equals extra weight! It makes me wonder if anyone who makes a BOB goes out and actually bugs out for a night or two to test your equipment and your body. I use a KBAR tactool, it is so much more than just a knife!

I would rather be without a gun than a knife in the wilderness, and unlike some I have lost things before. Having a backup knife that weighs 4 ounces is an intelligent thing to have in your BOB...I can leave out 15 rounds of ammo if 4 ounces is going to kill me.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    I keep an ESEE-4 on the shoulder strap of my bag. Out of your options I'd choose the Prodigy, simply because I had one, and it's a great knife.

latham17

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    indy
    Try prying a door or window open with a 4 oz knife! the weight savings comes from not having to bug out with a a lot of tools such as a pry bar, chiesel or ax. i carry a fillet knife for food prep. I hope you better understand my view point. have a great day

R3COIL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    NWI
    Again, this option is not on your list, but the Cold Steel SRK is a great choice and reasonably inexpensive. The knife has a straight plain edge with a full tang, and is really thick at the spine. The steel is good enough to handle demanding tasks and can be sharpened relatively easily. Also, a Fallkniven A1 is another great choice, but it is a little pricey. Both blades have numerous torture test throughout the net to demonstrate their build quality.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Try prying a door or window open with a 4 oz knife! the weight savings comes from not having to bug out with a a lot of tools such as a pry bar, chiesel or ax. i carry a fillet knife for food prep. I hope you better understand my view point. have a great day

I'm willing to wager that I can pry a door or a window open with the knife I have pictured below. It only weighs 3.0 oz.
    TitaniumStriders001.jpg

Strider SA...All titanium.

Overall Length: 7.25"
    Blade Length: 3.00"
    Blade Thickness: .190"
    Weight: 3.0 oz.
    Material: All Titanium with Flame Finish

Top Bottom