• ...and so much more!
  • CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Okay all,

Like firearms, each dog owner has their own favorite dog food as well so although you may be tempted to say, it all depends, I am looking for recommendations on dog food for our new Great Pyrenees (10 month old - 80lb). She is currently on Members Mark Complete which is a pretty poor brand from what I have read.

So, which food do you use, why and what does it cost per bag (35 - 40lb bag)

Thanks,

fst aslp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Zionsville, IN
    I used to feed Purina dog chow, until I realized what I was feeding him (think the movie super-size me). I now feed him Nutro in the dark green bag. Not to get too graphic, but much of his gassyness went away and waste is definitely better if that is possible. Also his coat has improved greatly as well.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Diamond.

1. Real lamb/beef/chicken is the first ingredient and it is 26% protein.

2. It's cheap.

3. It has kept my first GSD alive for 13 years and running.

I also like to give my puppy yogurt and fresh veggies(and occasionally meat) at least once a day along with his meal...Along with his gas pill and vitamin C tablet.

Diamond is about $25 a bag.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I prefer Iams, but it's a tad pricey, so they don't always get it. 2nd choice is Pedigree.

Big R had 40 lb bags of Gravy Train at a great price last time I bought food. I'll NEVER feed it to them again! Humongous piles of poop outside, nasty doggy farts inside. :(

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    What:

Innova Adult Large Bites Dog Food
    30# bag
    $40

Why:

Our Airedale Terrier started off as a pup on it and we just carried on what the breeder started.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The pack gets Royal Canin - Chihuahua.
    Currently 5, 3 of which were rescue.

I've tried other varieties of dog food, but they turn their collective noses up at anything else.
    They do have healthy appetites and shiney coats so it's working well.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Great Dane & English Mastiff get Royal Canin Large Breed. The giant breed formula isn't in the states yet, just over in jolly ole England. It is a bit pricier, but thankfully my g/f works for a vet and gets it at a discount. Plus the dogs are eating less now that they are just out of puppy phase.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I'm switching to this pretty soon once the science diet is gone.
    Wellness CORE Reduced Fat Adult Dog Food at PETCO
    It has a lot of protein in it and in the top of the ingredients it doesn't contain grains.

Ingredients
    Deboned Turkey, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Dried Ground Potatoes, Pea Fiber, Whitefish Meal, Tomato Pomace, Natural Chicken Flavor, Chicken Liver, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Kale, Broccoli, Spinach, Parsley, Apples, Blueberries, Vitamins, Minerals, Choline Chloride, Chicory Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Lactobacillus plantarum, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My buddy gets Eagle Pack Holistic food. He likes it, it's all natural and it's great for his coat. He's a Goldendoodle so he has lots of hair that doesnt stop growing, or fall out, so taking care of his coat is important. It's also made in Indiana...

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    My buddy gets Eagle Pack Holistic food. He likes it, it's all natural and it's great for his coat. He's a Goldendoodle so he has lots of hair that doesnt stop growing, or fall out, so taking care of his coat is important. It's also made in Indiana...

Stupid dog.....:laugh:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

It doesn't ever fall out or stop growing? That sounds like a nightmare.

My GSDs shed like it's their job, but I'll take that any day over constant trips to the groomer.

BTW, I'd like to know a little more about this Eagle Pack Holistic food...I wonder how important it is for the food to be "all natural."

Ima have to do some research now.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    7 month old ABPT...

Purina Puppy Chow Healthy Morsels...Free fed(all day)
    3 Scrambled eggs w diced potatoes and carrots.... 6am Breakfast.
    REAL Bacon as treats and training aids.
    Yogurt once a week (the pro biotic stuff)

Beautiful coat, Very lean and muscular.

She actually eats very little of the dog food a 34# bag will last me all month, a respected breeder friend only feeds his dogs the RAW diet but it is way too much work.

Top Bottom