• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    So, i know how to use, clean, and be safe with firearms...i want to take a class(well i wanna take many) but for my first one i guess it should be something would be most practical...so im thinking defensive pistol...any ideas on where to look or opinions on where to go?

thanks

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I took ACT's DP101 and IP101, both of which were great classes. Both assume you already know basic safety, how to clean a firearm, basic marksmanship, etc. I took DP101 before IP101 and would recommend the opposite as I felt like the basic marksmanship skills learned in the IP class would have helped my ability with the more complicated drills in the DP class.

If not ACT, I suggest one of the other INGO site supporters. I think most will start offering more classes again in the spring when it is a bit warmer out.

Enjoy the training, it's one recommendation from INGO that wound up really increasing my confidence in my abilities and the classes were a ton of fun.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    A big +1 for ACT. John, Coach, and Rhino are excelent instructors. The classes they teach are very practical. I have taken their classes, some more than once, and always take something new from it. The basics of the class is always the same, but they change it up a little to keep it fresh.

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I took ACT's DP101 and IP101, both of which were great classes. Both assume you already know basic safety, how to clean a firearm, basic marksmanship, etc. I took DP101 before IP101 and would recommend the opposite as I felt like the basic marksmanship skills learned in the IP class would have helped my ability with the more complicated drills in the DP class.

If not ACT, I suggest one of the other INGO site supporters. I think most will start offering more classes again in the spring when it is a bit warmer out.

Enjoy the training, it's one recommendation from INGO that wound up really increasing my confidence in my abilities and the classes were a ton of fun.
    Any more info on ACT? Looks like a good organization. I'm looking for classes in Indy.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Any more info on ACT? Looks like a good organization. I'm looking for classes in Indy.

what are you looking to learn specifically?? self defense with a handgun, rifle, marksmanship.....specify learning goals so we can recommend a class which will both teach you what you want to know and won't waste your time with material you may already have had training in

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    So, i know how to use, clean, and be safe with firearms...i want to take a class(well i wanna take many) but for my first one i guess it should be something would be most practical...so im thinking defensive pistol...any ideas on where to look or opinions on where to go?

thanks

if you carry...especially open carry...you should seek a good retention class, then a defensive pistol class....and always seek good hand to hand classes with retention

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    what are you looking to learn specifically?? self defense with a handgun, rifle, marksmanship.....specify learning goals so we can recommend a class which will both teach you what you want to know and won't waste your time with material you may already have had training in
    Well, only having had the Division of Wildlife hunter class and NRA basic pistol, i would want a follow up class, probably a handgun tactical, or self defense.

armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    im thinking handgun self defense...i dont typically open carry. but id like to learn from a pro the tactics and methods that i could use to protect myself out in the streets aswell as protect my family at home in the night...honestly my interest in a class is stronger for a rifle, tactics and marksmanship..but honsetly my pistol is on my person alot more than a rifle, so i figured pistol would be agood place to start. unless someone does a combo course where i could take away some newe and improved skills with my pistol as well as rifle (or shotgun for that matter)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    im thinking handgun self defense...i dont typically open carry. but id like to learn from a pro the tactics and methods that i could use to protect myself out in the streets aswell as protect my family at home in the night...honestly my interest in a class is stronger for a rifle, tactics and marksmanship..but honsetly my pistol is on my person alot more than a rifle, so i figured pistol would be agood place to start. unless someone does a combo course where i could take away some newe and improved skills with my pistol as well as rifle (or shotgun for that matter)

well, basic marksmanship will assist you with both rifle and pistol....the defensive pistol classes are going to concentrate more on exactly that, while they do stress a certain level of proficiency with your weapon it is generally implied that you should already be familiar with basic marksmanship prior to such a class.......but it is more valuable in the respect of being more important and practical to day to day use should the need for it arise.......what kind of budget are you looking for in the way of a training course

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Course Listing « Adaptive Consulting & Training
    Looks good to me-but no info on sign up, cost, or schedule?:dunno:

Here's the schedule for 2012 as it currently stands. It's a topic in our forum here on INGO (which is a good place to go if you want to know more about ACT or keep track of our activities):

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-act_2012_schedule_of_classes_and_events.html

When classes are imminent, we announce them officially on INGO and on our email list with all of the details including date, time, location, tuition, course description etc.

Cost depends on the specific class. It is always announced with the class itself both here on INGO and on our email list. Tuition typically ranges from $45-$175, depending on the class, it's length, etc. Additional expenses such as travel may affect that as well.

Signup is simple. You email one of us (EMAIL, not PM) and we send you the forms, then you mail the forms, your payment, and a copy of your License to Carry Handgun to us.

Please feel free to ask any more questions you have.

Joseph Viray
    joseph@adaptiveconsultingandtraining.com

jrm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    If you are close to Lebanon email Ken Campbell at the Boone County Sheriffs Department. He does an intro to defensive pistol. Also hosted here are Pat Rogers, Lousie Awerbuck, Gunsite, Etc...

Top Bottom