Which caliber AR for long range shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I'm thinking about building one of my stripped AR lowers into a bull barrel flattop for paper punching in the 400-800 yard range. Given the considerations of accuracy, cost, and reloadability what would be a good caliber to build? I enjoy shooting my old WWII workhorses up to 400 yds on iron sights but am thinking of something more modern with a scope. I don't want to damage any of my vintage stuff to scope it although I am going to set up one of my Garands with a scout scope using the upper handguard mount that CMP supplies. All input is appreciated!:rockwoot:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    .308 is the obvious answer here, but if you want to do something special as well as use your 5.56/.223 lower I'd suggest 6.5 grendel or 6.5 Creedmoor with preference going to the Creedmoor.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm thinking about building one of my stripped AR lowers into a bull barrel flattop for paper punching in the 400-800 yard range. Given the considerations of accuracy, cost, and reloadability what would be a good caliber to build? I enjoy shooting my old WWII workhorses up to 400 yds on iron sights but am thinking of something more modern with a scope. I don't want to damage any of my vintage stuff to scope it although I am going to set up one of my Garands with a scout scope using the upper handguard mount that CMP supplies. All input is appreciated!:rockwoot:
    Since you already have a stripped lower, and since you are saying you want an AR then I will make a logical leap to presume you have an AR15 lower, not the larger AR10 lower.

That said you can NOT use the 308 round because it will not fit in an AR15 action. Ditto the 6.5 Creedmore, which requires the same action as the 308. That is also strictly an AR10 platform round and not for AR15 guns.

I believe there are 3 viable LONG RANGE rounds for the AR15, two of them is commercially available, the other is a wildcat.

First, stay far far away from the 6.8 SPC round. It is NOT a long range round and the ballistic coefficient is horrible. There are ZERO competitive long range shooters using this round. It is pathetic out past a couple hundred yards. The same is true for the 223/5.56.

Second, consider the 243 WSSM (Winchester Super Short Magnum). Bolts are proprietary and made by Olympic Arms. The round is probably the highest velocity 6mm you can stuff into an AR15, the slight downside is the case length prevents you from feeding the very best of the best low drag long range projectiles.

Third, consider the 6mmAR or 6mmTurbo or one of the very similar wildcats. They are essentially necked down 6.5 Grendels modified to shoot a 6mm bullet. These are currently used by some competitive shooters.

Finally, consider the 6.5 Grendel. AT LONG RANGE it actually holds more energy and greater velocity than the 308. It is commercially available as loaded ammo, Hornady just added it to their product line this winter. Ballistic coefficients are astounding and the inherent accuracy is excellent. Uppers are sold under a variety of names including 6.5 Sporter, 6.5 Grendel, .264LB, etc. All are the same they are all 6.5 Grendels. The name is trademarked so only Alexander Arms and those folks who license the name can use the name, but the rounds and guns are the same.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    the 6.5 grendal and 6.5 creedmore are easy 1000 yards rounds. but they are not the most popular so bolts and barrels are limited. but the ones that are out there are top notice quailty. unless you reload the are $1.50 a round too.

these guys helped bring 6.5 grendal to the ar. and sell everything you need for it.
    Alexander Arms: 6.5 Grendel®

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Drat!!! I guess that means I'll have to buy another rifle!!.

I will make a logical leap to presume you have an AR15 lower, not the larger AR10 lower.

That said you can NOT use the 308 round because it will not fit in an AR15 action.

Logicaly the original poster sized up the matter and realized we meant get an AR10 platformed based model, not try and squeeze a .308 into the the AR15 style he currently has.

If this site is all about who can come up with the best smart ass answer I'll ditch it ala BARFCOM as well.
    Your comments above not only reflect BARFCOM like antics but also remedial subject matter.

Come on, I though we were beyound that here. I find the beginning of your post both condescending and insulting.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Logicaly the original poster sized up the matter and realized we meant get an AR10 platformed based model, not try and squeeze a .308 into the the AR15 style he currently has.

If this site is all about who can come up with the best smart ass answer I'll ditch it ala BARFCOM as well.
    Your comments above not only reflect BARFCOM like antics but also remedial subject matter.

Come on, I though we were beyound that here. I find the beginning of your post both condescending and insulting.

You're wrong. Check out the guy who posted the answer and you'll find out that he was truly attempting to give solid advice, not be a smartass.

Hang around here for more than five minutes before you start thinking you know who to jump on.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    You read it your way, I'll read it mine. And look at the join dates between you and I Fr. Time. You've been around 1 month longer than I have. Just cause your post count is higher means nothing. So I have fullfilled my 5 minutes plus of hanging around.

If melensdad has rebutal, I'm sure he'll respond. Don't make this into anything bigger tahn what it is and that's one member being offended by what another member said. The school yard is elsewhere.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    oooooh SNAP! since its not the school yard, maybe it can be the flag pole. does ingo have a flag pole we could meet at?

i concur with dross. ive never seen melansdad be cross with anyone. /shrug

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    oooooh SNAP! since its not the school yard, maybe it can be the flag pole. does ingo have a flag pole we could meet at?

i concur with dross. ive never seen melansdad be cross with anyone. /shrug

:bat: Every good forum should have a flag pole!!!! LOL

Maybe it's teh way I read it, it just came across that way TO ME. It's all good, but it's better when people can express how they feel deal with it and move on.

As gay as that sounded, it's teh truth! Or maybe it's the streets of Munster breaking down my tough skin!

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    :bat: Every good forum should have a flag pole!!!! LOL

Maybe it's teh way I read it, it just came across that way TO ME. It's all good, but it's better when people can express how they feel deal with it and move on.

As gay as that sounded, it's teh truth! Or maybe it's the streets of Munster breaking down my tough skin!

its probably the latter. munster isnt known for anything if not breaking people down.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I'm thinking about building one of my stripped AR lowers into a bull barrel flattop for paper punching in the 400-800 yard range.

Let me bold the part here that you seemed to ignore while making your first post.

If you would have taken the time to read the first post you would have seen that he's building a stripped receiver that he already had. While no one asked, and he didn't specify, one would make the assumption, like melensdad did, that this is an AR-15 lower. To further that, why would you make a suggestion that doesn't fit in the criteria that he stated? It was just unsolicited advice on your part.

Now if you really want to be a smart ass that's fine, but don't get all mad and lash out when someone calls you out/proves you wrong.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    .308, anywild cat round and our just digging yourself into an endless money pit

Why so? A wildcat cost no more than any standard round to load unless you go with something so bizarre you have to have the bullets custom made. I load for a 22 Cheetah, a 300 Whisper, a 375/338, and a 450 Alaskan. In most cases the dies were off the shelf, they load on my regular press using standard bullets and powders. The only necessity is that you do reload which is cheaper than buying standard ammo anyways.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

Dude, seriously, you really think my answer was directed at you and that I was being a smart ass? First you think way to much of yourself to think that I might have addressed anything toward you, clearly I didn't give you any thought when I answered the OP's question so I'm not clear why you'd think I had given your answer any thought. Second, when I answer gun questions I try to answer them with proper information, which precludes me from acting like a smart ass.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Let me bold the part here that you seemed to ignore while making your first post.

If you would have taken the time to read the first post you would have seen that he's building a stripped receiver that he already had. While no one asked, and he didn't specify, one would make the assumption, like melensdad did, that this is an AR-15 lower. To further that, why would you make a suggestion that doesn't fit in the criteria that he stated? It was just unsolicited advice on your part.

Now if you really want to be a smart ass that's fine, but don't get all mad and lash out when someone calls you out/proves you wrong.

Unsolicited advice...... It was a question posed in a public forum for anyone to address. For Christ's sake, this is an internet forum... 99% of what is said is unsonlicted.

Why so? A wildcat cost no more than any standard round to load unless you go with something so bizarre you have to have the bullets custom made. I load for a 22 Cheetah, a 300 Whisper, a 375/338, and a 450 Alaskan. In most cases the dies were off the shelf, they load on my regular press using standard bullets and powders. The only necessity is that you do reload which is cheaper than buying standard ammo anyways.

Because he didnt mention he reloaded teh assumption is made that off the shelf ammo is needed. If that's the case any 'non standard" ammo generaly comes at a premium, either in price or availability. I tend to lump anything not comonly found as "wild cat" which is wrong on my part.

Some day with a lot of luck, maybe I could afford to a AR-10 caliber for 308 as well.

They arent that much more than AR15's. But depending on your budget I can see how even $100-$200 can make or break a sale.

Dude, seriously, you really think my answer was directed at you and that I was being a smart ass?.
    Not me directly but EVERYone who had posted prior to you. I took it as "Look dumb asses, he said AR build not AR10 build." Where in my post I was addressing the caliber in the platform and not the platform itself. bad on me, but the original poster got the jist and stated maybe he would just buy a whole new rifle then.

First you think way to much of yourself to think that I might have addressed anything toward you, clearly I didn't give you any thought when I answered the OP's question so I'm not clear why you'd think I had given your answer any thought. ?.

As I said, I didnt think you were talking directly to me. That would be egotistical, I was looking at the post from a general standpoint.

Second, when I answer gun questions I try to answer them with proper information, which precludes me from acting like a smart ass.

I have no issue with the accuracy of your post and the technical aspects of it, simplyin the delevery of the 1st few lines

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Not me directly but EVERYone who had posted prior to you. I took it as "Look dumb asses, he said AR build not AR10 build."
    That is not my style.

If I want to call someone a dumbass then I will do so.

In this case I simply answered the question, nothing more. There were calibers that were mentioned by several folks that didn't fit the platform. Not everyone here is an expert on what caliber fits what platform so I simply included that for clarity.

How about we agree to move on, no harm - no foul, and presume this to be a simple misunderstanding? :yesway:

Top Bottom