• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Marlin 1894s are side ejectors which is nice if your wanting to mount an optic but there in the $700 range I believe. Now Rossi and Puma make a lever gun gun that is a top ejector I think and I believe your looking into about $450 for one of those

As far as Caliber. If I was you I would get the 357, It may be smaller but it shoots flatter is cheaper to feed and shares ammo with your handgun. 44 is great but you dont have a 44 yet but when you get a 44 mag handgun get a matching 44 lever gun :rockwoot:. when I think of a lever gun theres always 30-30 problem is in indiana we cant hunt with it and your local range only lets you shoot handguns. but if I had my choice I would get 35 Rem

I got my 1894c from Tomlinson's in Churubusco for $550, slightly used.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Can't use the 30-30 for hunting in Indiana. Can use rifle only as long as using handgun caliber ammo that is .357 or larger.

From the DNR Hunting & Trapping Guide:

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearm season. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, and .500 S&W.

You can pick one up anywhere you can purchase an Indiana Hunting License.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting. :)

There are other places besides Indiana to hunt;):DHard to believe I know. Also, the 30-30 IS legal to use in IN for yotes. There is no restriction on caliber for varmit hunting.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Personally I would go with .357 magnum, I have a revolver as well though. I had a 30-30 for a while my Dad gave me. It was a good gun, I sold it though because back then (roughly 5 years ago) 30-30 was right around $12 a box. You can save some money reloading.

Bruno8pnk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2010
    My buddy and I both have 44 mags, the new Horniday LeveRevolution is a great round, I saw him drop a deer last at 160yrds. Ours are Marlins that we picked up for $400.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    My father has a .357 Puma lever action. It is a nice shooting firearm and I love being able to run. 38 special when I want to save some cash. The twenty inch barrels really add some extra f.p.s. onto the .357 round so that it hits harder than anything shot out of a revolver. I do admit that shooting 45LC out of a pump action rifle is even better though.

Kveldulf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Tippecanoe County
    I agree with the others on .357. It's cheaper to shoot than .44 (especially if you also shoot 38 special) and can still take deer.

For the model, I'd recommend a Rossi 92 if you're looking to get a new gun. They're very solid lever actions for the money. If you're willing to throw down a bunch of dough, you could always get a used Marlin, but those are costing an arm and a leg these days. Or you could always wait until March or so of 2012 when Marlin starts sending out new lever actions in the revolver calibers.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I looked at how much 30-30 was when picking up some ammo at Rural King. It's almsot $17 a box of 20 now. You can get 50 rounds of .357 for not much more.

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Still Hunting

Hi Folks,
    Thanks again for the lively conversation. I'm still looking for a good Marlin 1894C. I just prefer the feel of the action, grip of the stock, color of the wood, side ejection , and overall look of the rifle to the other brands. I went to the Nappanee show this past weekend. It was stupendious! Crowded, tons of great merchandise, friendly people, pricing was fair, and a beautiful day. I actually saw a few rifles that may have fit the bill. A vendor had two Rossi 92's in .357 for $439+tax. A good price, and a nice rifle, but I have my heart set on the Marlin. I did see a Cowboy edition of the Marlin with a scope, but the price was astronomical.
    I did buy some ammo and few other things. Really worth the time. I got a great education from a couple of vendors on my 1903 Springfield. I also found a new (old) shotgun that I must have! A Remington 870 Police Magnum 12ga pump!!!!!
    WHY DONT I HAVE MORE MONEY. Anyone want to part with one??? Oh wait, that comes after the 1894C.
    Thanks for all your input - can I wait till March 2012? (NO) Will Marlin produce more 1894C's? I hope so, but I doubt the price will be any lower.
    Anyway, I'll still be hunting.
    Be safe and have fun.
    :ingo:
    :ar15:
    :patriot:

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    He said target shooting. Pistol calibers are not the best for target shooting. If I were target shooting a lever action I would get a Browning BLR. There is one at Ace Pawn Shop in Bedford, IN for $650 in .308. 308 is a good inexpensive round that cloverleafs at 100 yards in the right rifles. I doubt I could shoot a cloverleaf at 100 yards with a .357 factory load, but I know I can with federal match in my .308.

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    Hi folks,
    I'm unfamiliar with Browning BLR. .308 does sound like a great round, but I only found a couple of places selling rounds for .40 each, and question their integrity. Since I already have a .357 Magnum pistol, I'm gonna stick with my plan for the .357 Marlin. Doubt I'll get a chance to shoot 100yds at a target, unless someone is kind and invites me to come plinking on the farm.
    Mrortega is on target with my ideas(pun intended!). Scraping my funds together and narrowing the search.
    You all are fantastic people. Thanks for keeping my thread alive!

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Go with a lever action .357 if you already have other weapon(s) that fire .357 you'll be in great shape and as others have said, a .357 will take a deer if you want it to. My daughters 9 year old friend took 3 of them 4 legged car nightmares with her .357 lever action.

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    OK, OK,
    I done did it! Got me a beautiful new Marlin .357. Last one in stock, at a fair -not cheap- price.
    I'm very happy, can't wait to go put some rounds through it!

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    Can't use the 30-30 for hunting in Indiana. Can use rifle only as long as using handgun caliber ammo that is .357 or larger.

From the DNR Hunting & Trapping Guide:

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearm season. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, and .500 S&W.

You can pick one up anywhere you can purchase an Indiana Hunting License.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting. :)

Have a 16" Rossi Puma 92 in .44 Mag. Good gun & at 4.8 pounds my shoulder loves this gun.

My favorite lever of all is a 18" bbl Ruger Model 96/44 with a little Bushnell Trophy 1.75-5x33mm scope on top. A perfect "fast target acquisition" combination that consistently shoots the Winchester 240 grain SP ammo into 3" @ 100 yards. Pretty decent accuracy for a lever.

My old shoulder can't beef about the Rugers 5.5 pounds with the scope.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Too bad a 22 is not viable for you, I just love my Henry. It is a tackdriver, just as advertised.

I have never thought of my 30-30 or 45 Colt Winchesters as target rifles. But I guess they could be pressed into service even though neither is especially accurate. And the sights are open and neither deserves a scope because it would ruin both for their intended use. Hunting.

Edit: i just saw your choice and its a good one. As you know, you can shoot 38's out of it, but I suggest only 357 magnum for several reasons. Just as cheap as 38 if you are a reloader.

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    All I know is that I really want a .357 rifle. That way the ammo is compatible with my revolver.

Edit, looks like you bought the 357, didn't see that, but nice choice IMO!

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    Originally Posted by drygulchstan
    yep you can shoot 38 spl in the I like a 35 remington

What???? Hello, Mcfly!!!
    Bueller?
    Bueller?
    Anyone?
    Anyone? :dunno:

Nonsense.

The .35 Remington is a bottle neck cartridge and a .38SPL is a straight case cartridge. You cannot shoot .38SPL cartridges from a firearm chambered for .35 Remington !!

You can however shoot bullets designed for the .38SPL (.355" - .358") from a gun chambered in .35 Remington by loading the bullets in .35 Remington cases. I used to load 158 grain SPs behind a few grains of Herc Red Dot pistol powder in .35 Remington cases for knocking off the odd grouse or rabbit for the stew pot when I was hunting deer with my Marlin 336C in .35 Remington.

They cycled and shot with no problem.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    yep you can shoot 38 spl in the I like a 35 remington

Let me translate for you.

Yes, you can shoot 38 spl in them. (Marlin 1894 c) I like the 35 rem marlin 336.

I do shoot 158 grain/125 grain pistol bullets in my 35 rem. They are like varmint disintegrators. very explosive when driven fast. Not a good choice for deer. .35 going into a groundhog and about 1.5 inch coming out.

If you got one of the rem/marlin's (Has rep in a circle on the barrel) let me know hows it works out. They new factory has had some issues getting into the lever game. Seems they are better at bolt action guns.

Top Bottom