• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I've been looking at two different types, one that holds the upper receiver itself, and the other has lugs that interface the bolt lugs of the barrel and relieve the stress placed on the receiver by holding the barrel lugs themselves. Can the barrel lugs withstand the torque (up to 80lbs I think?) of installing a barrel? I'd rather risk the ruin/bend/break/crush/destroy an $80 upper than a $350 barrel, but if the barrel lugs are designed to withstand the force I can see where this is potentially the best route. I know the US Military method involves gripping the barrel itself in a vice, but I really don't want to mar the finish of the rifle barrel either. Opinions?

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I use the Brownells Barrel Extension Torque Tool and it works very well. The barrel extension is pinned in place so 30-80 ft lbs of torque should not loosen it.

slowmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indy area
    I use the clamp type that wraps around the whole receiver. I feel like it has a few points of contact to absorb the force of the torque. You shouldn't have a problem if you keep it in spec 30lbs plus indexing (under 80ft). I use a wooden vise to clamp onto the barrel when tightening my muzzle devices. As a warning, I don't believe mine would hold a billet receiver.

Edit to add:
    I have no experience or knowledge of the barrel extension type of tool.

Last edited:

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    The tool that interfaces with the barrel extension is a better tool. You are less likely to damage anything as well as being able to use it with non standard billet uppers.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    If your planning on building a few uppers I'd use the geiselle reaction rod. If money is not an option. Or if it's one and done take it to a smith or a competent fella at a gun shop that does ars. Be aware that many manufacturers spec certain type action blocks to be used for assembly or will otherwise void your warranty. All of this I speak from personal experience.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    If your planning on building a few uppers I'd use the geiselle reaction rod. If money is not an option. Or if it's one and done take it to a smith or a competent fella at a gun shop that does ars. Be aware that many manufacturers spec certain type action blocks to be used for assembly or will otherwise void your warranty. All of this I speak from personal experience.

The Brownell's Barrel Extension Torque Tool functions the same as the Geiselle Reaction Rod but it cost half as much. Brownell's tool cost $50, full price, or $36.49, discounted, compared to $99 for the Geiselle tool.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Thank you for the advice gentlemen. I suppose I will go with the Browning Barrel Extension Torque Tool. I saw it and it seemed to make sense that it would be a better way of holding the barrel, but I wasn't sure the lugs could withstand the torque. This is my first complete build, but I doubt it will be my last. Making a 300BLK and fabricating my own (form 1) suppressor for it. If I don't like the results I'll buy a commercial suppressor.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I use a Reaction Rod for torquing muzzle devices and a DPMS Panther Claw or clamshell vice block for tightening barrel nuts.

Last edited:

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    many people swear by the Geissele Reaction rod, but by far my favorite is the Magpul Bev Block. and it costs less than half of a Reaction Rod

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have a cheapo Model 1 Sales clamshell type and its been great. No damaged parts to date and its probably had 15 different rifles in it. (I pass it around to friends and family..) That said, I'd probably go with a rod type if I did it all over again.

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    The Reaction Rod is awesome if youre gonna build a bunch of them. I bought one for the shop here and use it for everything. I like it because I dont have to take customer's optics off and I can turn the upper to access different points of it while working on it (useful when doing gas blocks).

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom