• ...and so much more!
  • JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    'nother Model 950B

I have the Minx (the OP's cousin, only in .22 short). I carry it occasionally when I want a true pocket gun or as a backup. I'm not going to bash the 950 series, because I know they are tough little guns. Its a great little pocket gun, and with zero recoil, its what got my fiance into shooting (she now prefers my CZ-70 in .32.

OP, if you cave to all the pressure to get rid of your Jetfire, keep me in mind. ;)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... At that moment [a] German soldier in confusion charged directly at his foxhole. He pulled his Astra .25 from his pocket and fired several shots. The German fell a few feet from his foxhole. ... He noticed the German moving he had just shot with a .25acp. My grandfather pulled him into the foxhole and took off his helmet. The round struck just under the helmet bill but didn't penetrate. Only bounced off his head. ... They shared a cigarette before the German was taken away by MP's. ... I still have this Astra .25 that resides in my gun safe. ...

Great story and a great family heirloom.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Yeah, It's true what you said about the 25 ACP, but It's just a back up gun to my CZ 75 9mm & Mossberg 12 gauge that are in my truck.

I have a FIE Titan .25 I pocket carry. Figure its 7 rounds of Winchester Super-X hybrid will at least get me TO my car, at which point either can boogie outta that AO, grab the Makarov or use the 1500lbs of steel ; as case permits.

I used to carry a mag of Fiochi ball, but then got a box of Hornady XTP's and carried those, but found a 1/2 box of Super-X's at a show and bought those. After seeing the entrance / exit holes in a pumpkin last year, I started packing the Super-X's around. They're the ones with the single #12 shot set into the nose-cone.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have a FIE Titan .25 I pocket carry. Figure its 7 rounds of Winchester Super-X hybrid will at least get me TO my car, at which point either can boogie outta that AO, grab the Makarov or use the 1500lbs of steel ; as case permits.

I used to carry a mag of Fiochi ball, but then got a box of Hornady XTP's and carried those, but found a 1/2 box of Super-X's at a show and bought those. After seeing the entrance / exit holes in a pumpkin last year, I started packing the Super-X's around. They're the ones with the single #12 shot set into the nose-cone.
    I have a box of those also;)

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    Experimented couple years ago. Fired 5 differant brands of .25 into phone books, including Hornady xtp. After 70/80 rounds of ammo, including some that cost $1.00 per shot, absolutely zero brands or bullets expanded. Most of the bullets could have been reloaded and fired again. No .25ACP ammo expands, so just buy cheap FMJ and hope for the best.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I am not a fan of anything under 380 as it does not have the ability to reliably shatter bone as with a pelvic shot.

That being said, the OP was using it as a back-up gun. In that senario something has either malfunctioned or you ran out of ammo and the threat is still there, or has closed the gap. More than likely at that point it is going to be close range and I would deploy it almost like a knife, contacting the attacker with the muzzle either to the eye or throat as OP stated and firing.

No worse than carrying a knife as a back-up and definatly better than not having a plan B at all.

I think the FMJ or HP will give you better performance through clothing and such if you do use it at distance than the Glaser slugs. As some have alluded to they are not as effective as the manufacture claims.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    My main gun is a CZ-75 in 9MM, but it's nice knowing that you have a back-up, even if it's a mouse gun in 25 acp

Have you considered a CZ sub-compact 9mm RAMI as a backup instead? There'd be a lot of advantages for you, especially since your magazines for your main weapon would work in your back up. A backup that can share magazines and has a similar manual of arms as your main weapon makes a lot of sense in my mind, plus if you like the CZ-75 you'll like the CZ-2075 (RAMI) as well. I know I've never handled a CZ I didn't like.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    I carried a 25 caliber baby Browning all through high school. I graduated in 1969......I bought it for $25 after I got stabbed on my paper route in North Minneapolis over 5 bucks when I was 14.

I have kept a Taurus PT22 in 22LR close by lots of times. It has its uses and so does the 25 caliber.

Jesus Christ, must have been one crappy route.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The .25 ACP in the 50 gr FMJ load will give you all the penetration capability the standard .25 ACP has. And even then, it only has a sectional density of 0.112.

Use the Glaser on rats, birds, snakes, and such.

Funny thing is, the little .25 acp could really benefit from a longer barrel, but it's almost always carried in the little 2.x" barreled guns (and that's about all that's recently been available).

Some info for you:
    BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .25 Auto Results
    http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_files/25ACP.htm
    .25ACP Blazer 50gr FMJ

Wow. Nothing like an FMJ with less penetration than some hollow points in standard service calibers.

Quick rule of thumb: if it can't penetrate 18" of gel with an FMJ, it's not strong enough. Would it even reliably penetrate a skull? Eyesockets and nostrils are targets much to small to be realistic, imo.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Here's my BEAR gun when I'm with a buddy
    Beretta.jpg

Top Bottom