Which 22LR to get at wal-mart? (For NFA Day)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've never bought 22lr before, never had a reason b/c I don't have a 22lr yet. But I wanted to pick up a couple boxes for NFA day. At wal-mart, they have different types. They had Stingers, rounded tip, winchester extreme, and a couple others I don't remember. So, what ones do you buy at wal-mart? I didn't want to just buy a box just because it was 22lr. Since it's for NFA day, I'll be shooting someone else's gun, so didn't want to get something crappy.
    Thanks!

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Any good manufacturer should work. If you are looking to shoot some through a suppressed rifle, go with SubSonics. I use Remington Sub Sonic HP's for plinking through my guns. Most 'target' ammo is subsonic. Through most suppressed pistols, nearly any ammo will be subsonic. You want the subsonic ammo to really get the full effect of the suppressor. If someone has a full auto .22 lr, it probably won't matter, but full power usually ensures more positive functioning.

have fun at NFA Day; I know I did!

Doug K

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Any good manufacturer should work. If you are looking to shoot some through a suppressed rifle, go with SubSonics. I use Remington Sub Sonic HP's for plinking through my guns. Most 'target' ammo is subsonic. Through most suppressed pistols, nearly any ammo will be subsonic. You want the subsonic ammo to really get the full effect of the suppressor. If someone has a full auto .22 lr, it probably won't matter, but full power usually ensures more positive functioning.

have fun at NFA Day; I know I did!

Doug K

How do I know it's subsonic? Will it say on the box?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Buy the Federal bulk for the MGs. That stuff will be subsonic out of a pistol, but it will be supersonic out of a rifle. I advise you to buy at least one box of CCI subsonics for the occasion. Plainfield Shooting Supplies usually has them in stock...or check the intarwebs...

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    Federal 525 bulk packs come out to about 4¢/round and it is good stuff. I also like the Winchester 333 and Remington Golden Bullet.

I've only had bad experiences with Remington Thunderbolts and Winchester Super-X. I shoot semi-auto, so YMMV.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield

Unless you just want the dry box, it is cheaper to purchase at Wally World. It is roughly $17-$19 box for 550 rounds of the Federal Bulk Pack 22LR. Also, you wouldn't have to pay for shipping or taxes. I do realize that finding it in stock is a different animal.

Side note: Cabelas does have a $20 coupon for orders of $150 or more on their home page. This will take care of shipping or taxes usually.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    The Federal 40gr bulk pack can be found in most of the rural Walmarts. That is what I use in my suppressed pistols and sbr with GREAT success.

Chuck

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Federal. But a gun can like one and not another. I have a ruger mark II that hates Remington green box.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom