• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    I bought a S&W 15-22 and now my 10/22 just sits. I would highly recommend the 15-22. I got mine on sale at PSA for $299!!!! You can't go wrong. With shipping and $20 transfer fee I have $336 in mine.
    15-22 or 10/22 you can't go wrong with either. They will eat any .22 ammo.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Heard the newer Marlins not as well made as the older ones. Myth? I do have a Winchester 9422 that is very accurate. I'm going to sell it as I have concerns about the inherit safety issues with the 94 series. Does the marlin have a separate safety?

I've also heard about the quality issues, all of them attributable to Remington's difficulties with relocating and replacing Marlin's equipment.
    I've seen multiple sources who now say that it looks as if Remington has finally ironed out those problems.
    Also, if quality is still a concern, there's no reason that a person couldn't buy a lightly used or unfired 39A from the 1980s, when Marlin's quality was probably at its finest.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I love my 10/22 takedown. Because who wouldn't?

I do wish though I had the camo version, with a suppressor because.... that's even more "zombie apocalypse gun".

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I grew up on a marlin 60 that was accurate and reliable. My only gripe was the feeding tube.

I've got a 10-22 that's my version of what the perfect 10-22 should be. With that said it wasn't built from the ground up to use higher or normal capacity mags whichever way you prefer to say it. I've tried the butler creek plastic and steel lip mags. I've got a half dozen of the bx-25 mags that were going to fix all the problems and be the perfect 25rd mag for the 10-22. Personally I think all the high cap mags for the 10-22 suck. They work for a little while, then it's jam time and that just drives me nutts. The 10rd mags are great, except that they only hold 10rds. The 10-22 is nice when you want to throw it over a shoulder with a 10rd flush mag, but the higher capacity mags have just never done it for me. I've replaced/upgraded all kinds of parts in my 10-22 and I'd have to think about what's still original on it from the factory at this point. I'll bet I've got about $700 in that little rifle, and while I like it when it works since I bought a 15-22 it hasn't seen the light of day.

My 15-22 is my favorite 22lr. I use mine in training, team drills, bounding, etc. Mags gets dumped, dropped, kicked, lost, found and reloaded. The rifle has held up incredibly well to this point. I like that it came threaded and as mentioned earlier with a can on it and match subsonics it's just a little click, click, click, instead of pew, pew, pew. My gripes on the 15-22 are that the upper receiver is plastic and won't hold sights as consistent as metal. The rail is plastic and can flex ever so slightly. It's not a big deal for me because I'm not shooting for match competitions. When I zeroed my irons & red dot the red dot was just over the front sight post. Now, it's way off and I haven't adjusted the sights. That's a part of having all the plastic on the gun. For what I do as long as I hit a target I'm happy, because it's the moving & communicating I'm really trying to work on. I have used the 15-22 for varmint control so it's not an inaccurate gun by any means. There's a groundhog with a hole through it's head that will testify to how well it works.

You're right on the Rem 597's, I had one and sold it because it sucked. Jams, inaccurate, low cap mags at the time, blah blah blah it just sucked.

There's the marlin 795, a buddy has one and it's ok, but then again not built from the ground up for high cap mags so what good is that? There's the savage semi auto, and it sound good, but again not built for high caps so maybe that was fine back in the 1800's when every switched over from flintlocks.

You decide what you want out of your rifle. There's basically two choices. If you want accuracy, 10-22 tech sight and only 10rd mags. If you want run & gun a 15-22 and all the glorious high cap mags you want.

Having said all of that, I've actually been lusting over a marlin bolt action tube fed model #70821. Something about a bolt action tube fed I can't get that thing out of my mind.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You probably won't be disappointed with the 15-22. Couple options I'd recommend:

1.) For less than $30 you can reload your mags almost as fast as you can unload them: Lightnin' Grip Loader
    I've got two of them because I don't ever want to be without one, ever.

2.) For $20 you can make your factory 15-22 charging handle feel and work like a BCM gunfighter: Smith and Wesson M P 15 22 Medium Billet Charging Handle Latch | eBay I have gunfighter changing handles on all my AR's, that replicates the feel of them. If you're not familiar with them all I can say is that from one former spec-4 to another one, you need to check those out.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    You probably won't be disappointed with the 15-22. Couple options I'd recommend:

1.) For less than $30 you can reload your mags almost as fast as you can unload them: Lightnin' Grip Loader
    I've got two of them because I don't ever want to be without one, ever.

2.) For $20 you can make your factory 15-22 charging handle feel and work like a BCM gunfighter: Smith and Wesson M P 15 22 Medium Billet Charging Handle Latch | eBay I have gunfighter changing handles on all my AR's, that replicates the feel of them. If you're not familiar with them all I can say is that from one former spec-4 to another one, you need to check those out.

Thanks, will definitely check out.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If you go the 10/22 route (+1 from me), maybe go for a plot twist, and get the 50th anniversary edition. (Or go stock, and customize it yourself.)

I got the 10/22 takedown, and a BX-25/X2 magazine (2 BX-25 magazines, molded together and facing opposite directions - fire 25 rounds, flip the magazine 180 degrees, and fire 25 more). Love it. Haven't added any mods yet, though I'm thinking about the new trigger.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Just thinking on this still... If a 10/22 isn't on your list a lever action is sweet! I have a Marlin that I love!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As much as I'm not really a big fan of the 10-22 even I have to admit that the 50th anniversary model looks like a good buy. I like the sights, scope rail and threaded barrel.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Well, after much deliberation I pulled the trigger and went for a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22. Pacified wife by telling her I will sell the 9422.

Last edited:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I've had a Colt (Walther/Umarex) M4 for a while and it's an awesome rifle. I've fed it everything from std. high-velocity .22LR to subsonic and even .22 shorts and never had a single cycling issue. There is an adjustment for different loads but I've never had to mess with it.

Oh, I missed that post where you went ahead and bought a rifle. Enjoy!

glank09

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    As an owner of both a 10/22 and a Remington 597, I would go with a 10/22 if getting another 22. With that said, my 597 is way more accurate than my 10/22, it just takes some time getting used to the heavy trigger pull. The 10/22 was purchased new by my dad in 1987 and probably has over 20k rounds through it. I can remember dropping it in a creek when coon hunting one night. We took the mag out and shook the water out and went on to get 10 that night. Its just more reliable than the 597 and accurate enough for most needs.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Okay....depends on what you want. If you want to tinker and customize 10/22 all the way. If you want accuracy and function out of the box I am going to say it..........for the money Marlin model 60 would be my vote.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    As an owner of both a 10/22 and a Remington 597, I would go with a 10/22 if getting another 22. With that said, my 597 is way more accurate than my 10/22, it just takes some time getting used to the heavy trigger pull. The 10/22 was purchased new by my dad in 1987 and probably has over 20k rounds through it. I can remember dropping it in a creek when coon hunting one night. We took the mag out and shook the water out and went on to get 10 that night. Its just more reliable than the 597 and accurate enough for most needs.

I don't know how tight you need your accuracy to be, but I've seen people perform some impressive accuracy at Appleseed with a 10/22. I didn't earn my Rifleman on the first weekend, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't my gun ;)

Top Bottom