• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Here are my personal recommendations and favorites.

Low price:
    Rock Island. I am still upset that I didn't buy one when you could get them for $369. And the nickel finish one for $400, used, that I didn't have the cash for at the time. They are more in the $450 to $500 price range now.

Mid range:
    Springfield Armory Mil Spec. Preferably in stainless. Probably $650 or so unless the pricing has changed.

My dream 1911:
    A Colt CCO (concealed carry officers) Officer sized alloy frame, commander sized 4 1/4" barrel. Oops... I just drooled on my keyboard.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    ...Buying cheap and modifying ends up costing more in the long run.

This is very true. However, spreading the cost out over time generally takes the sting out of the purchase. Plus, you get exactly what you want. I don't think there is a 1911 available on the market that has every feature I favor. So, for me, modifications are inevitable.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Here are my personal recommendations and favorites.

Low price:
    Rock Island. I am still upset that I didn't buy one when you could get them for $369. And the nickel finish one for $400, used, that I didn't have the cash for at the time. They are more in the $450 to $500 price range now.

If you check Bellshireguns on GunBroker, you will find 5" GI spec's for $375 shipped, compact 4" is $390 shipped. Many have had great things to say about this seller including myself

Rock Island 1911 45 DURACOAT" LOOK 4 FREE SHIPPING : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

ROCKISLAND 1911 COMPACT*.* LOOK FOR FREE SHIPPING! : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

cjacobs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Bloomington
    For the $800 range, I suggest you look at the Smith and Wesson 1911's.
    They run good out of the box. If you are willing to go a little more, Dan Wesson's are a good value in the $1200 range.

For the low end, the Rock Islands are good for the price.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    Really, it seems like nostalgia, like driving a '57 Chevy. At some point you just gotta get a 1911. I would like 3 dot sights, but not a rail because that's like putting an MP3 player and a GPS in your '57 chevy. It just ain't right. Any suggestions?

If you really want to drive the '57 Chevy you don't want a copy, so buy the Colt. You can get alot of good used Colt's close to your price range. I have never found any of my Colts to be picky about what I feed them.
    If you feel the that you don't want to spend that much money I would suggest the Taurus, really liked the one that I have shot.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have a RIA Compact and a Springfield Mil-Spec and can recommend both. I just bought the RIA about 3 weeks ago and only have around 200 rounds through it, but so far it's been fantastic. I've had the Springfield about a year now and love that one too. The RIA is a heck of a deal given what they are selling for. I bought my Springfield used, and that turned out to be a lot of gun for the money too.

I have no experience with the full sized RIA 1911, but have heard good things about them. For what you want to do with it, the RIA would probably work well for you.

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    RIA .45 First Pistol I ever owned.

I love my Rock Island Armory 1911. Its cheap and reliable and mil spec so you can swap out just about any part you'd like to upgrade.
    Mine personally doesn't like SWC lead bullets but other than that its been fine with any JHP's or FMJ's I've put through it.

I've put roughly 5,000 rounds through mine and shoot it as well as most people shoot their 1911's that cost 3 or 4 times as much.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A basic Colt isn't that Expensive

:ar15:I haven't checked prices latley, and they are probably up since I bougtht mine. But I bought my bone stock no frills colt government model for less than $600.00 at Pop Guns about 3 years ago. First round out of the barrel obliterated the X at 20 feet, It takes out bowling pins when they attack, and I've never had a jam even with cheaper mags I've bought. I bet you can still find a basic colt for less than $1000.00

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I'm going for the Springfield TRP. Had originally looked at MilSpec SS, but changed my mind.

BUCK HINKLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    greenfield
    I have to say I am shocked about a kimber not functioning well, I guess It is possible, I am just saying I have never had anything but great thing to say about mine.

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I have a kimber stainless custom target2 that had about 10k put through it before i even swapped out a recoil spring good shooting pistol . Colt 1991 basic blued pistol bought in good used condition at a gunshow for $550 shoots better than the kimber . Springfield officers model stainless set of crimson trace grips added to it and it is my every day carry gun . Rock island wasnt very impressed with this one put a ceiner 22 conversion on it and it is much nicer as a 22 cal host . I am a fan of the 1911 myself though i am working on breaking in a newish xd

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    1911 choice

I have 2 RIA both will feed anything i put to them. Ball, lead WC and hydra shocks.Also have a Colt series 70 no problems with it .
    It is possible to get a bad firearm from any mfg.I would not recommend buying a RIA to customize you'll never get your $ back,bit if you want a 1911 to shoot buy one .If you have a problem send it to their repair shop, You will be happy with the returned gun ,their warranty is excellent . also have a S&W, and a Llama that work fine ,From what i see others post I must be the only owner of a Llama that works.I do usa the RIA.cs as a carry , thats how much i trust it.

Top Bottom