• Which 1911 is best for around $1000?

• Total voters

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    For the price, I think the Remington R1 is an unappreciated value. They are well made - very few machining marks and a tight fit. Out of the box, the trigger pull is nice. For $700 retail, you could spend another $300 on stuff to trick it out like a skeletized hammer or a competition bushing or barrel.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    For the price, I think the Remington R1 is an unappreciated value. They are well made - very few machining marks and a tight fit. Out of the box, the trigger pull is nice. For $700 retail, you could spend another $300 on stuff to trick it out like a skeletized hammer or a competition bushing or barrel.

F@*% Remington! They will never get another dime of my money.

Bunch of traitors if you ask me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^

The pieces I have handled from them (many) have all been on the loose side of fit and finish. The triggers were mushy compared to S&W, Springer and even Para GI's. I was not impressed with any of them in side by side comparisons. For the money you can do much better.
    Not knocking anyone's guns and if you like yours I wish you a happy experience.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy

Great. No one asked you if they were traitors, but thanks for sharing. I'm sure your spending habits will drive the price down for the rest of us. If you re-read the initial post, this thread was not about the most politically correct 1911 for $1,000.

I don't have an R1. I carry an STI Off Duty, and shoot a LB Thunder Ranch, but was trying to be responsive to the post.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    I would have to go with the S&W E series. I currently own Colt and Springfield, and have buddies with the high end Kimbers, Ed Browns, and STI's. The S&W is reasonably priced enough that you can upgrade and customize yourself, which is half the fun, and mine Smithy eats everything I feed it, which is why it is my daily carry piece.

Sfrandolph

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    Boone county
    I have.
    Also offerings from Brown etc. I will stay in the price range of my springers.
    My Trophy and TRP are as accurate and run just as good.
    Sure the Wilson is cool. If you have the spare 3.5 K laying around grab one and enjoy it. Or, spend 1.3 K on a TRP or Trophy and run the hell out of them.

Edit...I have to mention my S&W 1911PD Caspian frame. It is a race horse.

Thank you. You restored my faith in human logic.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    If I could find one, I'd buy the Sig STX 45. I haven't been able to locate one yet though.
    That's a nice looking gun.
    1911 STX

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    I'll throw in my :twocents:

I own 2 Sig 1911s, the scorpion and the STX. Both are great guns, good on fit and finish, stainless steel, and have ambidextrous safeties, plus close to your $1000 price tag.
    They are very accurate, and if your looking for a slightly different twist on the venerable 1911, then these will meet your needs.

I also own a Springfield range officer. Which I'm a little surprised no one mentioned. This is an outstanding 1911, it was made as an entry level comp gun. Comes with the common upgrades stainless steel bushing, match grade barrel, skeletonized trigger, extended beaver tail, and bump grip safety. They left everything else for your own personal customization.

With all that being said the Springfield is my workhorse 1911, I love my sigs, would never get rid of them, but the Springfield is super accurate, and just a joy to shoot.

Shot kimbers they are ok, but would never by one.

Someone mentioned caspians, I have shot a couple of them, and liked them a lot.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I chose the Colt, I love my Colt! Springfield Loaded or Range Officer are great choices. I have not dipped into the Kimber world yet and don't plan on it. The Sig 1911 I had shot great, slide was shaped a little wonky but nice fit. I settled on my Colt government model and love every trigger pull! :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'll throw in my :twocents:

I own 2 Sig 1911s, the scorpion and the STX. Both are great guns, good on fit and finish, stainless steel, and have ambidextrous safeties, plus close to your $1000 price tag.
    They are very accurate, and if your looking for a slightly different twist on the venerable 1911, then these will meet your needs.

I also own a Springfield range officer. Which I'm a little surprised no one mentioned. This is an outstanding 1911, it was made as an entry level comp gun. Comes with the common upgrades stainless steel bushing, match grade barrel, skeletonized trigger, extended beaver tail, and bump grip safety. They left everything else for your own personal customization.

With all that being said the Springfield is my workhorse 1911, I love my sigs, would never get rid of them, but the Springfield is super accurate, and just a joy to shoot.

Shot kimbers they are ok, but would never by one.

Someone mentioned caspians, I have shot a couple of them, and liked them a lot.

I have an RO and it is one of my favorite guns. My list was up in the 1K area mentioned by the OP and a couple a bit above that.
    If you look around you can find a NIB Srpringer RO for just around $800
    out the door. May be a bit more now with the shortages.
    These guns are absolute tack drivers and for the money miles ahead of anything else available right now. Great Range guns hence the name...Range Officer.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I would say get a Colt XSE the samples I have seen lately are some of the best guns Colt has been putting out. The slide/frame/barrel fit has been good, you get novak sights, ambi safety, and a good beavertail. For some reason Springfield can't figure out how to fit a beavertail to save their life, i've seen better fit on rock islands and other 400.00 guns. It used to be that Springfield was the definitive value but their prices have really gone up to the point that I would just get a Colt. If you decide to sell you'll have better resale as well.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Out of those in your list I own a Colt XSE and a Springfield Loaded 1911.

Side by side the Springfield blows the Colt out of the water in terms of fit, finish and accuracy. Both have been 100% reliable in close to 1.5k rounds each. It would be more if ammo was more available.

I owned a Kimber and was not overly impressed with it.

I've read of some people having trouble with the pin in the external extractor on the S&W E-series backing out over time and locking up the gun badly. That was awhile back when they were first released so it is probably fixed now. I have handled them and the are nice feeling guns.

I've not handled an STI so I have no opinion on them

Sig makes a very fine 1911 for the money.

It is pretty universal around the 1911 world that Wilson Combat is the bar that all others are measured by. If I had the money I would own one.

I voted for Springfield.

Great. No one asked you if they were traitors, but thanks for sharing. I'm sure your spending habits will drive the price down for the rest of us. If you re-read the initial post, this thread was not about the most politically correct 1911 for $1,000.

I don't have an R1. I carry an STI Off Duty, and shoot a LB Thunder Ranch, but was trying to be responsive to the post.

My apologies for my earlier post. Lack of sleep and to much beer last night did not make for the most coherent posting I've ever done. However in my original post in this thread I did try to offer my honest insight on the best 1911 for the price range. See above ^^^

Perhaps I should have said: Given the current political situation and Remington's decision to cave to the .gov and in turn stick it to we the people, I would advise looking elsewhere for firearms and accesories in the future. Besides thier products that I have handled recently seem not to be up to par as of late and since they are now owned by the Freedom Group I don't look for thier QC or CS to improve in the future either.

Springfield still gets my vote.

heeringa

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I was lucky enough to fire a friend's friend's Kimber .45 ACP a few months ago. That thing was a beast. Until then, I had only fired a .22LR 1911, so when I went to pull the slide back on this Kimber, I thought the safety was still on or something. I didn't realize how hard it would be to pull the slide back to chamber a round.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I would say get a Colt XSE the samples I have seen lately are some of the best guns Colt has been putting out. The slide/frame/barrel fit has been good, you get novak sights, ambi safety, and a good beavertail. For some reason Springfield can't figure out how to fit a beavertail to save their life, i've seen better fit on rock islands and other 400.00 guns. It used to be that Springfield was the definitive value but their prices have really gone up to the point that I would just get a Colt. If you decide to sell you'll have better resale as well.

If you have not fired a Colt XSE in the last few years, these are a must to check out. :rockwoot::ingo::rockwoot:

profilepic18246_4.gif

Last edited:

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    My apologies for my earlier post. Lack of sleep and to much beer last night did not make for the most coherent posting I've ever done.

Me too, kawtech87. Sorry to have been a jerk. After a long day and a couple beers, I need my wife to slam my laptop on my fingers. She didn't last night and left me to my own devices. Oops, my bad.

Last edited:

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I would get a Ruger SR1911 and spend the other 300.00 on the 50 rounds of ammo you can buy if you find it.

Top Bottom