• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Thanks a lot for all the comments guys I like getting different ideas. I agree financial freedom is a must. We are working towards that now. There are a lot of things to look at think I will start with some basics like food and water, and grow from there.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If we go into a shtf scenerio then what good is our currency in the bank? Not saying its not good to have cash set back. We are in the 6 month of bills in savings spot right now. However I question what good it may do if an economic downfall is the beginning of the shtf scenerio. What other means of "fundage" could a family have set back?

Totally depends on your version of SHTF.

Was unemployed for a short while. Our savings was a very nice cushion until I started working again. Also nice to not have to grocery shop all that much.

If my house burns down, then having insurance, savings, and no debt would be a GODSEND.

Now, if the dollar collapses, my retirement investments would be pretty worthless. At least our mortgage is all but paid, so I would own our house outright. No bank wanting to call in the debt! We are also looking at property, both as an investment and a plan B.

Some folks invest in physical gold/silver. My worry is that they could lose their value just as easily as the dollar. First, the government could simply recall precious metals again and outlaw their use as currency. Second, you can't eat it!

If things get really bad, then I believe "skills" will be the ticket. If you can do or provide something of value, then folks would happily trade for it. Same as today, only the marketable skills would be different.

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    rule of 3

I approached prepping from the stand point of the rule of 3. 3min without air, 3 days without water, 30 days with out food. Starting with air I would consider some sort of respirator such as a dusk mask on the low end or a full face hepa on the high. This is important because in the event of a disaster you could had debilitating smoke, dust, or pathogens in the air. Second is water, storing it is alright but if you have to go on the move I would suggest treatmet tablets, hand filter, and some sort of light weight collasible container. As far as food, some of the cheaper options ive found are rice and peanut butter. You can get 20lbs of rice for about $10 at walmart. Also in the bulk condiments section you can buy a 6 lb jar of peanut butter for about $15. That jar has over 18000 calories in it as well as fat and protein. Online walmart also sells freeze dried food buckets containing enough food for 1 person for 30 days and a shelf life of 25 years (they are about $100 ea). One last consideration is the elements, if forced to stay outside you need to be warm, dry, protected from the sun, protected from insect, allergies, ect. My first 4 choices for the elements assuming I still have the cloths on my back would be a tarp for shelter, rain suit, water proof boots, and a 0 degree sleeping bag.

capn willie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Start small.
    Relax.
    Just keep at it.
    Water this week (yes, the 49 cent 3 liters at Kroger are great and come around every 3 months or so) - extra TP every trip at the store.

LEARN everything you can.

It's never too late, a little bit here and there is never a wasted effort.

I am stuck on www.survivalblog.com too. Find some sources you like, and stay with it.

Good luck and God Bless.

ar15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    I am going to follow this thread, this is great info. I have done the basic such as a nice stock in food and ammo, but I'm a long way off as far as means of travel, "safe house," and clean water source.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Thuddylikessmoke,

For financial stuff start listening to Dave Ramsey on AM radio. In the Fort Wayne area he is on weekdays from 12P - 3P on 1250AM.

His basic financial plan is: #1 - save a $1,000 BEGINNER emergency fund, #2, pay off all debts (not inc mortgage) smallest to largest, #3) I forget if this is #3 but what the heck, in the end save 3 - 6 monthes of expenses as an final emergency fund. He has more baby steps but those are reasonable ones.

Think about the very basics - food, clothing and shelter. If you are stuck in your house for one (1) week you obviously have the shelter taken care of. What about clothing and food? If the house is not habitable you may not have anything other than what is on your back or in your car.

Imagine the following scenario: Big house fire. Smoke and flames everywhere. You and your loved ones escape right now with exactly what you are wearing when you read this. Now you and your loved ones are in the driveway with nothing other than the clothes on your back. Fire department arrives but the house is a total loss. Where would you go? What would you do? Presuming someone would give you a phone who would you call?

Would this backup person have a spare set of keys for you? If the car was in the garage it is gone. Would this person have a spare debit or credit card for you? Do you have a copy of a birth certificate, drivers license info, LTCH copy (naturally:)), etc. Is there a safety deposit box with this important information available. Or at least a fireproof safe you can get to later.

If there was a huge icestorm this week and power was out what would you need? You obviously wouldn't need power for the refridgerator or freezer as you could simply put the food in the garage or outside for a couple of days. Pipes would freeze so can you keep at least the furnace on? How much energy would all the stuff you absolutely NEED to run take - then figure out what size generator you may want to start looking at.

The most important thing you can do you have already done. You are thinking about it! As you begin to think and prioritize your needs you will find your own weak spots. These will give you goals to work on. As you fulfill basic goals you can work on others.

One idea I have heard repeated is a Rule of 3. Plan for three (3) days without everything. Once that is completed plan for three (3) weeks without everything. Once that is completed plan for three (3) monthes without everything. Beyond that your skills and planning become somewhat irrelevant as the situation will be very fluid and less able to plan for. This doesn't mean don't plan beyond three (3) monthes, but don't worry about it initially.

Regards,

Doug

Momof6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Wayne County, IN
    So admittedly I've just started reading in this part of the forum, but I've yet to see anyone really mention children. Nor have I seen much talk of living off the land, wildcrafting. My situation is quite a bit different than most in several ways. For one, I have six children ranging in age from 5 to 16. Luckily most of them would be more of a help than a hindrance because they all are in various stages of interest in survival and have at least a beginning knowledge of firearms. Nearly all of our medical is herbal, so we have a better understanding than most of wild edibles. Even the 8 year old knows how to butcher our rabbits, can cook various things, and knows common yard plants for first aid.

We have a lot going for us in the skill department (though still a ton more to learn, always). I think what throws me most often is the sheer size of our group and amount of supplies needed. I guess I'm just rambling now :n00b:, but I really look forward to learning more, and figuring out how and what to do in our situation. As of right now I don't even know where we would go. :dunno:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Like some one said above it is a life style. When you go to the store pick up extra stuff each week. By the end of the year you will be looking for places to stock the stuff you are buying. If you plan to stay in place and not bug out. Your preps will change. If you plan to bug out. Where will you bug out to? Will you be able to stock food and water there? Will it be there when you get there?

The most important things for most emergencies is water food and shelter. Then a means to protect you and yours.

If you look at what has happened in the past in the area you live in you will know what you have to stock and prep for. In Florida it is storms out West it is twisters and fires. Up North is is snow storms and ice storms. Every place we live there problems.

Some people stock up on silver and gold. I only have that stuff in jewelry. You can't eat it or drink it so I don't stock it. I stock food, water filters, cloth, wood, fuel, first aid stuff, guns and ammo. There is no one size fits all. Do what you can as you can.

Cujo71321

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have found that it is a good idea to shop on eBay for your gear. I have bought several camelbacks, backpacks, tactical vests, survival and tactical knives, water filtration, emergency medical kits, etc. from eBay. I also bought a nice portable two-burner butane stove and several cases of portable butane. I have put up three commercial size shelving units in my garage that I bought very right at Sam's Club. I am in the midst of stocking them now. I was smart enough to buy ammo in 1000 round cases before the insanity hit after the CT school shootings. I have guns hidden everywhere. Like has been said already, it is a way of life, and a mindset. Just pretend you are a grown-up Boy Scout... be prepared!

Top Bottom