• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grux

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I've read through the list of shooting ranges, but was wondering where everyone in the Avon area went to shoot?

I've been a member of the Danville Conservation Club in the past, but would like to explore my options and see if there are area places that you all prefer. I don't want to waste my time at Dons or any other indoor range.

Other than Danville, Eagle Creek, and Marion County Fish and Game.... what is there that is somewhat close? I've never been to Eagle Creek or Marion County Fish and Game.... has anyone compared them to Danville CC?

Thanks in advance.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i joined new ross con. club last weekend.fishing and small gun range.35.00 per year and its close to you.not very big,only has 100+members.worth checking out

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm a member at at DCC and MCFG both. Each has its strong suit.

Marion County Fish and Game has a nice big range. MCFG is for handguns and rimfire rifles only. No centerfire rifles, except for handgun caliber carbines, essentially.

DCC is, as you know, a rather small range, but you can shoot your rifles there.

Both places harbor a great bunch of guys who are fun to shoot with.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    Eagle Creek is nice but it's mostly handgun only. They do allow shotguns and pistol-caliber rifles as well as .22's. I've been thinking about checking out Danville CC; it would be nice to have a decent place to shoot my AR's

Grux

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    I enjoy Danville CC, the only reason I am considering something else is because of their "1 shot every 3 seconds rule." I'm not the guy you see at the range that likes to see how fast I can empty a clip, however, if I am practicing home defense, I will not shoot at a bad guy at home, and wait 3 seconds to shoot again.

I need to practice accuracy with a double tap or even a quick 3 round burst.... and I can't do that at DCC.

Is this an issue at MCFG? I would go to Eagle Creek, but there may be times when I want to shoot after work during the week.

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    Rapid fire is not an issue at MCFG. It is, of course, required that all your shots be under control. Sorry I forgot to mention the three-second rule as a downside to DCC earlier. I believe the rule is in place because of the proximity to so many homes. It must make them nervous or something. Actually heard a guy at a meeting one time mention that he was a neighbor of the range, and that he definitely kept track of rule violations by what he could hear.

Grux

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    Rapid fire is not an issue at MCFG. It is, of course, required that all your shots be under control. Sorry I forgot to mention the three-second rule as a downside to DCC earlier. I believe the rule is in place because of the proximity to so many homes. It must make them nervous or something. Actually heard a guy at a meeting one time mention that he was a neighbor of the range, and that he definitely kept track of rule violations by what he could hear.

I can understand that. The houses are rather close. I've really been looking into the MCFG. I like the different events they offer. Do you know if they allow passes at so I can come check the place out? Or should I just attend a meeting?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    if you want to visit as a guest I would be glad to get you in. but it is a $10.00 visitors fee to shoot, or be on the range I believe

salamander42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been wanting to check out MCFG for a while now. . . trouble is, I work second shift and I keep forgetting to request the evening off for one the monthly meetings. :P I'll get out there sometime soon though. . . I really need someplace to shoot besides Don's, and James Heath's range (Custom Cop Corp.) is too far out of the way for me to visit regularly, especially since I'm living on the northwest side of Indy now.

Last edited:

jeffers_mz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    If the website doesn't help, you can get New Ross CC info, a good steak, and a well mixed drink from a fun bartender at the New Ross steakhouse.

Last I heard, Mr. F. was looking to extend the backstop, even though NRA signed off on it, to get the New Ross range open again, after one resident, who seems interested in buying the club's land, complained.

Looks like they got past that issue, good for them.

You can also look at the Crawfordsville gun club, actually located just outside Darlington, $40 per year, 100 yd and 50 yd ranges, plus a skeet/trap area, rapid fire out to 30 feet ONLY. Best way to connect is the Sunday morning 0930 meetings.

There's also the Waveland gun club, basically across the street from the entrance to Shades State Park, and one more I can think of, up on 231 between Linden and Romney, don't know much about them.

Grux

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    if you want to visit as a guest I would be glad to get you in. but it is a $10.00 visitors fee to shoot, or be on the range I believe

Thanks for the offer. Actually, I think I have decided to just go ahead and join. I've only read good things about them and they are pretty close to where I am at. I will attend the next monthly meeting and join then!

Packin-Heat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Avon, Indiana
    :draw:Thanks for the info on the New Ross CC, I was not aware of this place on the other hand I am well aware of the steakhouse I now have another reason to go out to New Ross. I will be checking into the CC on my next trip out there. Thanks again for the info guys, I am also a resident of Avon and am always looking for a place to shoot.:draw:

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    If you don't mind the drive to Crawfordsville...then you might want to check out Proteq Firearms Academy just north of Brazil. Here is a link from the shooting ranges list section.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._of_indiana_shooting_ranges-3.html#post154720

Cost is $20 for the year. Nice quiet place with a range out to 200 yards. It's where I go. Since I'm off on Mon and Tues I go during the day and there is hardly anyone ever there.

Grux

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Carmel, IN

Any chance that you are going to shoot tomorrow (Sunday?) I just got my Glock 19 today, but can't join mcfg until the next meeting (May 4th.)

I've got this nice gun sitting here that needs some rounds put through it.... but I just need somewhere to go! :ar15:

Top Bottom