Where to shoot a ladder test loads near Greenwood?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I'm developing load for my Remington 700 fir long range shooting ( up to 1000 yrds). Anyway, i need to fire a ladder to develope an optimal load. Is the a range that is relatively close to wear I can set up a target (minimum 300 yrds) and go down range and mark after each shot?

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    300 + yards is difficult to find. I don't recall any close to Indy/Greenwood. And even those typically won't be one shot then hoofing it 300 yards. Ideally a spotting scope and paper to map each hit would be far easier.

How far are you willing to drive for a long range?

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    300 + yards is difficult to find. I don't recall any close to Indy/Greenwood. And even those typically won't be one shot then hoofing it 300 yards. Ideally a spotting scope and paper to map each hit would be far easier.

How far are you willing to drive for a long range?

i guess, i'll drive as far as it takes. What would be close to Greenwood? I have family with farm land and family in Brown county. Maybe I need to ask around and see if there are any places that are safe to shoot at the distance.

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    For what you want to do, private land would be your best bet. As for a place with that distance, the nearest place I know of is up near Ft Wayne called Hillside Shooting Sports. You won't be able to go out each shot, but they have up to 1000 yds if you can qualify. Unfortunately we just don't have any places like that nearby or if we do, it's a great secret.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You can be my guest at www.fwrr.us A 300 yard range with working target pits. I will pull and mark targets for you. No need to walk down after each shot. All that walking is way too much work.

I am available a lot of times all day during the week. Sometimes on Sunday.

I can have two guests........

Last edited:

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    You can be my guest at www.fwrr.us A 300 yard range with working target pits. I will pull and mark targets for you. No need to walk down after each shot. All that walking is way too much work.

Once i get an optic on my rifle i might take you up on that offer

Sniper Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    There is no need to go down range after each shot. When I do a ladder test I set up a target at 500 yd, and I colorcoat each bullet with a colored Sharpie marker. Each color designates a different powder charge. As the bullet passes through the white paper target it leaves a color trace behind. This allows me to fire my ladder test rounds in a round robin fashion. I can pull my target after I fired all test rounds and analyze the results looking at the different colored bullet holes. I normally fire 25rds total (five rounds of five different powder charges). If I cannot find color trace on the target I can lift trace with a q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol.

I do most of my shooting in northern Indiana at Youngs Longshot. Hope you find this helpful.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I got a rep for offering to help a fellow Ingo'er. I appreciate the rep, but my offer is real. You guys give me a reason to go to the range and I will be there.

Besides, I have a rifle or two that I want to check the 300 yard zero on.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I had to google 'ladder test". Seems plausible. Btw Crosley wildlife near North Vernon has a 200 yard range.

sorry about that. Basically, you shoot 1 of each charge weight to see which charge weights will group together in elevation. Obviously you can verify by shooting the same layout at on a seperate target. 300yards is the minimum, but longer is better.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    There is no need to go down range after each shot. When I do a ladder test I set up a target at 500 yd, and I colorcoat each bullet with a colored Sharpie marker. Each color designates a different powder charge. As the bullet passes through the white paper target it leaves a color trace behind. This allows me to fire my ladder test rounds in a round robin fashion. I can pull my target after I fired all test rounds and analyze the results looking at the different colored bullet holes. I normally fire 25rds total (five rounds of five different powder charges). If I cannot find color trace on the target I can lift trace with a q-tip dampened with rubbing alcohol.

I do most of my shooting in northern Indiana at Youngs Longshot. Hope you find this helpful.

i've heard of people doing that. May have to give it a try on the 100 yards range. Im told you have to do it on white paper though.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood

i may have to take you up on that! ;)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I'm headed to the range now. It is a perfect no wind day.

Edit to add: My hold only allowed 2 to 3 MOA groups out of a 1/2 MOA rifle. I only shot at 100 and 200 yards because I didn't have anybody to mark targets for me at 300 and I didn't want to do the extra work. Still a good afternoon on the range all by myself....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom