• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yukon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    has a very high interest in firearms. He respects them and is a good to excellent shot. He loves to tear them apart to see how each one works and would ultimately like to learn to make them.

I'm looking for ideas. Would prefer local to northern Indiana but don't know if any training like that is available in the area. Any input would greatly appreciated.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Wabash Valley College has a Gunsmithing Certificate Program. Its in Mt. Carmel, IL, so a little farther south for you, but Ive talked to an INGOer that told me all about the program and he was very impressed with it. I can give you first hand details on it next year, as I am already registered to start this August. :D

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    There is also places in colorado and i think Pennsylvania. I would look them up for u but on my phone

Jake

Yes, the Colorado one is a 2 year program in which you earn an actual degree in gunsmithing. I just did some reading on the Pensylvania course, but I can't remember what it said now. (Also on my phone). And I know the NRA has a program in North Carolina somewhere, can't remember the details on it either at the moment though.

There are also online programs such as AGI and Penn Foster, but those seem sketchy. Gunsmithing just seems like its more of a hands on thing. Duh.

To add on for the WVC program, the first semester you do a 1911 build, second semester is an AR and bolt action build, and the best part is you get to keep them. You obviously pay for the parts, and a $1300 tool kit you keep, but I like that ill actually have something physical to walk away with to include the education.

ETA: There is much more in the program than just the builds, those are just the 3 big projects. Just wanted to clarify that.

I'm so excited to go that it keeps me up at night thinking about it.

bassmatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2009
    Marshal County
    Yukon,
    How old is your son. You said that he wants to build, as well as do smith work. By building do you mean put the pieces together to make a firearm, or having the ability to start with raw materials and end up with a firearm?
    Having experience or working as a machinist would be an advantage. Going to college and getting an engineering degree would be a slam dunk.
    Thats just my :twocents:
    Matt

Yukon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    He is 17 and will be heading to IU this fall. I'm guessing he could take gunsmithing 101 after he gets his degree in something else.

He wants to design and build both guns and knives from the raw material on up so it'll take a little work but always has been a hard worker.

Thanks for all the advice and info.

Top Bottom