• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    A few years ago I got tired of trying to put used motor oil back into the quart or gallon bottles and I bought a 25 gallon plastic barrel. I've been dumping the old stuff in there and now it's getting pretty full. Anyone know where I could take this thing to dump it? If any members in or near Indy have a use for the old oil you're welcome to it, I just need the barrel back.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If you can pump it into smaller containers, most auto parts stores will take waste oil.

For that quantity, you might be better off finding someone with a waste oil furnace.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I could be wrong, I haven't taken mine in yet, but aren't places that do oil changes supposed to recycle any oil that gets brought in?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I take mine in 2 gallon jugs to Autozone. Usually 4-5 jugs at a time.

Don't know what to do with a container your size. Can you even move it easily?

One of the local muffler shops runs a used oil furnace. Maybe call a few of your local shops?

chtheo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Goodyear Tire in Fortville runs a used oil furnace. He will gladly take all of your used motor oil.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Thanks for the help guys. I have to go to the auto parts store today, I'll check with them and see if they can take it.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I know in Noblesville at the fairgrounds, there is a hazardous waste facility. They take all "hazardous" household items. You have to live in Hamilton county to use it (they check your DL), but there must be one for Marion county as well. I've taken my used oil there, and they will empty the container and give it back to you (if you want it back).

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah any walmart with a TLE should take oil, I would call to ask about quantities first though. Where I live in IL right now the local transit place uses used motor oil to heat there garage apparently and will take as much as you will give them.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    In that quantity, Safety Kleen or any other oil recycling company should readily purchase it from you. I had one of their Reps. purchase a hitch off of me and informed me of this.... so I got a barrel and .... well you can figure out the rest.

Also, as said before, anyone that sells oil is required to take waste oil. So you have quite a few options.

buffalohump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    I have a waste oil furnace in my machine shop. Furnace will burn hyd, motor oil, brake fluid, diesel. Not gear lube or water. I will take any amount Wabash area

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    There's are companies that will come out and pump that oil out of your drum, and pay you for it.

Crystal Clean is one.

They come out ever so often and pump ours out.

Top Bottom