• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If there is something for them to eat the fence and the light are merely obstacles.
    Should probably wait for JRB to comment and tell us all how stupid we are.

Right now, the coyotes have been eyeing my parent's dog, a 150lb rottweiler that sits low to the ground. He's a short fatty. Dad spotted 2 coyotes on top of our dirt berm where our backyard range is located. They were eyeing his Rotty down.

They're afraid what 2-3 coyotes could do to him.
    Parents are also planning on breeding Rotts, and are afraid what could happen to the pups.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Right now, the coyotes have been eyeing my parent's dog, a 150lb rottweiler that sits low to the ground. He's a short fatty. Dad spotted 2 coyotes on top of our dirt berm where our backyard range is located. They were eyeing his Rotty down.

They're afraid what 2-3 coyotes could do to him.
    Parents are also planning on breeding Rotts, and are afraid what could happen to the pups.

If there is something to eat and visible they will find a way to get it.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Try to keep your dog at home the yotes will bait him into chaseing them and then they will all attack him... If you can get ahold of at least 6 or 8 double spring leg traps and go buy a whole chicken and stake it to the ground and circle it with the traps and you will catch a yote, but you must bed the traps in and put a very lite cover of dirt over them covering the pan of the trap with some wax paper.... You can find something on you tube about trap sets im sure.... But you will at least catch one then just keep resetting it... You don't have to go far from the house but I would keep your dog away from them.... If you can .. Good luck man If I lived closer I would come and let you barrow some traps and help do a set and show you what to do then you could just repeat from then on... Unless you want to ask JRB for some help ???? ;) sorry bro J/K

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    ok i want to say i didnt check to see if using a live chicken as bait was illegal but have check and it is - i apologise for trying to inform someone how to perform a illegal act and was not my intention - please do not use a a live chicken for bait or the judge DNR and your local PETA assembly will have your butt in a sling -

instead of using a live chicken in the box use a 5 gal bucket of fresh entrails - shut it lock it cover it back with dirt and check daily until stinch is gone and I think you will be successful - legally :)

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    :popcorn:

Wouldn't worry too much, it'd be extremely rare for coyotes to engage a dog that size, much less outside of denning season where nothing is to be gained. Out of curiosity, I'd set trail cameras to see what's going on at night. Coyotes might be eating dog food right out of Buster's bowl while he looks on in disappointment, it happens. Coyotes are opportunists, they take the path of least resistance, so they might've found some easy food or a safe refuge nearby. Of course adding lights might ruin their "hiding spot", if that's what they're seeking, so it's worth a shot.

---------

This thread has fired up the old messages from predator callers saying "That's why I just posted enough to get in the classifieds!" and the hobby farmers asking "How do I keep coyotes away from chickens?"... so here's a little more copy/paste info for the thread.

In all the ordeals I've inspected/trapped/called.... coyotes are rarely the issue for poultry predation. It's usually hawks, owls, cats, dogs, coon, mink, fox or some combination thereof. People see and hear coyotes more than most of those other critters so the deduction is made that coyotes are the culprit. People also seem to remember spotting a mean looking coyote more than they recollect a boring old hawk or feral cat.

Regardless, my birds go in a softly lit coup at night where raptors can't get them. They have 10'x10' area with 4-5' high roosting bars inside the barn with a small (10"x10") opening to the outside 10'x20'x6' pen. I leave the man door on that pen open so they can free range all day. I don't have issues, and it's not for lack of coyotes.

If problems persist, a great hands-free option to let your birds in and out is a timed door on the coup. Set it to open well after sunrise to avoid those daybreak coyote/fox, close after sunset to avoid coon problems, and your birds will be free to roam during prime light hours. Hawks could still be a problem, but it would greatly reduce the issues with nocturnal predators.

Last edited:

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I've shot a few, and I've tried snaring some. Both of the snares I set weren't anchored properly and were eventually broken out of. You could see where the ground was torn up/trees chewed on etc where they were trapped through. I need to get some long stakes to pound in and try setting them up again this year.

I ordered from these fellas, set up the hoops at coyote head level on a path and make sure you get the deer stops, no sense in harming bambi.

Coyote Snares, Snares for coyotes, snaring coyotes

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Best Coyote bait I ever saw was a whole chicken that had been hanging in a onion bag for about three days....that thing was RIPE. They could not refuse the scentilicious aroma of that thing.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you do go the trap route be prepared for collateral damage. So far this week we've caught five raccoons, six possums, a squirrel, a rabbit and a fox but no coyotes lol. All of the critters were cut loose which can be a bit tricky, they don't seem to appreciate our intentions.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If you do go the trap route be prepared for collateral damage. So far this week we've caught five raccoons, six possums, a squirrel, a rabbit and a fox but no coyotes lol. All of the critters were cut loose which can be a bit tricky, they don't seem to appreciate our intentions.

I used to run about 40 snare traps when I was a kid, then we switched to muskrats and steel traps. I like snares, when set right they are pretty deadly. What kind of trap scheme do you use?

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Well JRB I have seen first hand that yotes "sorry coyotes" will bait dogs into a chase and then turn on them as a pack, had a large doberman and a hound run after a yote "sorry again coyote" in a open cut corn field and then 5 coyotes had turned the table and were on there ass and if it wasn't for my buddy and I that the dogs run past us and the coyotes seen us and made a circle around us but still were after the dogs they would of had them dogs.... This was in the evening when we were getting ready to leave from deer hunt'n or "Duh hunt'n" whatever you wish to call it... This was seen first hand and not copied and pasted from a book a story or 3rd hand.... So call me a lier if you like I really don't care, real life speaks for its self..... Im still waiting on some seminar talk on coyote hunt'n so you can educate us counrty boys so please don't copy/paste, I want real life what you know not what someone told you or what you read "REAL LIFE ACCOUNTS"....

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I used to run about 40 snare traps when I was a kid, then we switched to muskrats and steel traps. I like snares, when set right they are pretty deadly. What kind of trap scheme do you use?

We're using leg hold traps. As mentioned earlier they are laid flush with the surrounding soil, screen pan cover over the pan then soil sifted over top to conceal it. Bait is wrapped in Sheep's wool and stuffed down a hole drilled at an angle to get the coyotes onto the trap. We set brush around to force them to approach they way we want also.

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Dad saw 2 coyotes last night in his back yard again. Couldn't take a shot because of the position they were in, if he happened to miss, the neighbors house is 200 yards away in that direction.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Last time I asked a CO about baiting coyotes I was informed that hunting over a gut pile was legal but moving the gut pile to a more advantageous location or placing a roadkill where you can see it constituted illegal baiting.
    Realizing that CO's are not infallible, does any one have a statute available that addresses thiis?

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yote Hunter, slow down. The "copy/paste" I mentioned are my comments of my personal experiences made in response to PM's, emails and facebook messages I've received about this thread in recent days. Most folks can tell who knows their stuff here and who is just thrashing around to save their internet credibility. I've moderated, administrated, owned & participated in predator calling forums before INGO existed. There's no surprising me with how these things play out, I called it before you guys even showed up to follow the script.

Let's keep this in perspective. I said I wouldn't worry too much about those coyotes chewing up his Rottweiler. Especially outside denning season. I kept it simple.

I speak in generalities because it's foolish to say "ALWAYS" or "NEVER" in coyotes. Coyotes & dogs interact a WHOLE LOT without conflict but sometimes there is conflict. Most of that conflict happens to free-roaming dogs, medium-to-small in stature, when they enter coyote denning areas between March & June. Most. Not all. Another point... most, not all... of the conflicts between coyotes and dogs are resolved without physical scars or serious injury. It looks bad, it sounds horrible, but most are resolved without serious consequence to either side. Don't spin off into your tangents, I've worked mutilated and murdered dogs, it happens, but in all likelihood it won't.

I've used decoy dogs to toll coyotes (pick fights, bring them back) in IN, KY, TX, CO & OK. It's certainly not a segment of predator calling that *I* focus on, I've gotten rid of my Cur & Malenois in recent years, but many of my calling partners and staff are passionate about it, so I've seen plenty of coyote aggression toward K-9's. That said, I wouldn't worry about your Rottweiler. Getting rid of coyotes that aren't causing problems might just make room for coyotes that will cause problems. Just my opinion.

Yote Hunter, I won't argue the finer points of predator calling with agitators in one-dimensional formats like this. Let's not further distract a thread that has real potential for constructive dialogue. Buy a ticket, come debate with me at a public seminar or just contact me privately and we'll discuss my rates for instruction. I'll be in Central Indiana next week, but booked solid.

We're using leg hold traps. As mentioned earlier they are laid flush with the surrounding soil, screen pan cover over the pan then soil sifted over top to conceal it. Bait is wrapped in Sheep's wool and stuffed down a hole drilled at an angle to get the coyotes onto the trap. We set brush around to force them to approach they way we want also.

Phylodog, most of that sounds fine to me (I'm not a fan of using brush to guide coyotes). Anyone's tactics could be nitpicked and argued by hardcore trappers who feel strongly about the minute details... but what you've described will catch coyotes. Due to the non-target catches, you might need to reconsider your locations. If you have open country, like Central Indiana does, you need to get out in that open ground and find faint features... crop changes, waterways, 2 tracks, thin fencerows. Try to stay back off the woodlines, woodlots and creekbottoms where all those non-target critters are running hard.

One good thing about snares, they'll work right up against all that cover without snagging the unwanted critters. 10" Loop, 10" off the ground. Deer will knock them over with their knees, coons will walk right under. They're cheaper than traps & easier to set, just dog-snap them to a tree or stake driven in the ground. Far less messing with mud, freezing, thawing and non-target catches. Used in tight brush, you'll have entanglement choke coyotes out, but a domestic K-9 usually sits down and waits for you to release him. If traps are chess, snares are checkers.

Patience, there are no laws that prohibit the use or positioning of bait for coyotes in Indiana. Picking up roadkill from a public roadway may have it's own restrictions and permits, but the mere use & strategic positioning of bait for coyotes is not illegal in Indiana.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    For the sake of INGO, I will just keep my thoughts from here on about you JRB to myself..... But in closeing I will say, contact to discuss your rates for instruction and booked solid.... Hmmmmm, thats some funny stuff...... ;)

Last edited:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana

This is true with trapping you may catch about anything... Just make sure it ain't your rott.... ;)

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana

Also good solid advice.....

Top Bottom