• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I got one with my F150 the other day but its been a while since Ive killed any yotes - my grandfather raised chickens when I was young and had a sure fire way to get a wheelbarrel full - whenever he had any chickens killed by yotes he'd take his best egg layer and hang her by her feet in a tree about 200 yds from his coop and sit in a make-shift blind about 20yds away - that thing would make a ruckus and they would come straight to him everytime - the yotes never got to the chicken and layed eggs for quite awhile but he had enough yote pelts when he went to sell that it filled his stepsides bed - he would have to do this about every 2mos - not sure that id recommend it but it works

tB0xa4k_facepalm_at_computer.gif

This is why internet discussion forums are borderline useless for people that actually want to learn nowadays. Guy asks question, guy gets good answers & resources.... then... inevitably... guy gets bombarded with exaggerated BS and chest pounding 3rd person stories... guy leaves confused. All the non-posting bystanders are confused.

Anyone that has called, trapped, decoyed, snared or otherwise seriously worked with coyotes very much can see right through this crap. Most of it is so silly, like Tabloid headlines, people with common sense don't even take the time to stop and contradict it. Hell sometimes it's hard to tell where to begin!

God forbid someone with a little knowledge pull over at a train wreck like this, they're just labeled know-it-all jerks by the blushing story tellers. Been there, got the T-shirt.

Let's just cut the crap so this thread doesn't go down the tube like so many other coyote related threads on here.

-Trapping & Snaring is the most effective way to remove your coyotes, coyote trapping season is in right now.
    -Trapping & Snaring is an art, coyotes are tricky, this isn't going to be a walk in the park.
    -Hoosier Trapper Supply will hook you up with the tools and knowledge to move forward.

-Calling & Killing coyotes is much more complicated than Trapping & Snaring, it won't yield the results of good trapping technique.
    -Using a live chicken for bait is an illegal tactic most commonly employed by imaginative heavy drinkers or teenage boys.
    -The effectiveness of a dangling a chicken to draw coyotes is a perceived notion, not a legitimate tactic, don't do it.

-Most powder-driven projectiles will kill a coyote in the right circumstances, that doesn't make them all "good coyote medicine".
    -You, me, nobody is going to "thin the coyotes around here" for any extended period of time.
    -The older I get, the more the term "yote" pisses me off. I think I'll start calling deer, "Duh" to abbreviate.

:):
    - Carry on.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My guess is you can find coyote trap right where there's coyote skeet.........

I used to trap some way back. I don't even try for fox or yotes because it's work. Would think snares the best way. Know a guy that placed legholds around a nasty roadkill he drug back through his field. That worked great.....until the ground froze. He staked the deer down though, so it'd work a while longer.

One more deer in the freezer and I'll be out with caller and .243. Get one once in a while. I just like being out there............with a rifle.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    If you don't want to take the time and effort to learn to trap coyotes you might consider asking a local trapper to come out and set some traps on your property. I'm sure you can contact the Indiana State Trappers Association or look on craig's list to find the names of some guys trapping in your area. You might want to check with neighbors to see if they know anyone who traps coyotes. A recommendation from a friend would probably be the best way to find somebody to take care of the job for you.

If you want to try to trap them yourself, Hoosier Trapper Supply is the place to go. They have what you need and can provide the guidance and assistance to go with it. Check out their website for some good instruction on how to set the traps and make some catches.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My guess is you can find coyote trap right where there's coyote skeet.........

I used to trap some way back. I don't even try for fox or yotes because it's work. Would think snares the best way. Know a guy that placed legholds around a nasty roadkill he drug back through his field. That worked great.....until the ground froze. He staked the deer down though, so it'd work a while longer.

One more deer in the freezer and I'll be out with caller and .243. Get one once in a while. I just like being out there............with a rifle.

Yup.....me too. When I have the time.

Oh, we no longer use the chickens but seriously, they did work very well. Worked even better up north.
    Baiting does work and have friends that still use it. It is work.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I usually pick one or two during deer season, they come to the doe can bleat calls.:)

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Ok Jase hate to tell you this but anybody with any yote hunting experience at all knows that live chickens work amazingly and I apologize for possibly misleading you so I will correct myself - my grandfather did have to use that system at least every 2 months for most of my childhood years and did very well at it - he had a 1966 chevy stepside that " once " a year would load his truck to the bedsides with pelts and go sell them - - I have family searching for the pics that will show you that having the mentality of "Ive never experienced it so it couldnt possibly have occurred" is the wrong mindset to possess - to be called out as a liar in front of my INGO brothers & sisters is very offensive and disrespectful - I will always remember those experiences and sympathize for you and for your lack in experience(just tryn on your mindset with the last statement i made sorry but i must not be as good at it as you)- try the system and you too will be impressed - sorry for thread jack but back to yote trapn -

Ok get 2 2x10x8 untreated boards - 2'x4' piece of 1/2" wire screen - 2 small but descently strong hinges - a descently strong small locking clasp - a small lock -a descently stong 4 hole carrying handle or drawer handle - 20 2 1/2" screws - 12 1" screws - small box of 1" roofing nails - a shovel - a drill w/ the correct bit matching your screws - a circular saw - hammer - a live chicken - 1/2lb of rotten meat or entrails - rubber gloves -

now for assembly - cut you 2xs to 4 2x10x 4s - cut 12" off both ends of 1 4" piece leaving you w/ 2 1' pieces & 1 2' piece - build a box not unlike a live trap but 1 side secure the 1' pieces on the ends leaving you w/ a box live trap looking w/ a 2' long hole in the middle - take your 2' piece and istall it like a door w/ your hinges and clasp - now you have a rectangle w/ a lockable door w/ a secure the carrying handle to the center of the of door becouse thats how your goint to carry/ open door -

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    couldnt go any futher so heres 2nd pat of reply - take your screen and cover both ends wrapping screen over the edge and secure to outside edges w/ your roofing nails - secure it strong enough that the screen can not be pulled off or tore off by a predator - i would place my roofing nails every 1" - now you have escentually a cage out off natural elements - no polymers or plastics -

take your rotten meat or entrails and your rubber gloves and rub the whole cage down with them - do all surfaces thuroughly - getting the stinch embedded in it - let it dry before you touch it again -

take cage to known yote traffic area - pick a clear flat area at least 2'x7' - dig a trench deep enough to bury your cage a couple inches below the surface and long enough to leave a 1' to 2' enterance on both ends - put live cicken in the cage/box w/ enough food for 24hrs - lock it and bury it leaving both ends open in the trench - place your chooice of traps on both ends securing to box so critter cant get away - cover traps and trenched area lightly with fallen foilage - now you have a trap w/ live bait out of the reach of your predators - go back to your daily business and come back and check in 24hrs - take a gun you might have to finish them off -

this info came from a commercial chicken farmer in eastern carroll county and is common practice for them - they have had 100% mortality rate w/ thier bates -

Have fun -

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok Jase hate to tell you this but anybody with any yote hunting experience at all knows that live chickens work amazingly and I apologize for possibly misleading you so I will correct myself - my grandfather did have to use that system at least every 2 months for most of my childhood years and did very well at it - he had a 1966 chevy stepside that " once " a year would load his truck to the bedsides with pelts and go sell them - - I have family searching for the pics that will show you that having the mentality of "Ive never experienced it so it couldnt possibly have occurred" is the wrong mindset to possess - to be called out as a liar in front of my INGO brothers & sisters is very offensive and disrespectful - I will always remember those experiences and sympathize for you and for your lack in experience(just tryn on your mindset with the last statement i made sorry but i must not be as good at it as you)- try the system and you too will be impressed - sorry for thread jack but back to yote trapn -

Ok get 2 2x10x8 untreated boards - 2'x4' piece of 1/2" wire screen - 2 small but descently strong hinges - a descently strong small locking clasp - a small lock -a descently stong 4 hole carrying handle or drawer handle - 20 2 1/2" screws - 12 1" screws - small box of 1" roofing nails - a shovel - a drill w/ the correct bit matching your screws - a circular saw - hammer - a live chicken - 1/2lb of rotten meat or entrails - rubber gloves -

now for assembly - cut you 2xs to 4 2x10x 4s - cut 12" off both ends of 1 4" piece leaving you w/ 2 1' pieces & 1 2' piece - build a box not unlike a live trap but 1 side secure the 1' pieces on the ends leaving you w/ a box live trap looking w/ a 2' long hole in the middle - take your 2' piece and istall it like a door w/ your hinges and clasp - now you have a rectangle w/ a lockable door w/ a secure the carrying handle to the center of the of door becouse thats how your goint to carry/ open door -

I took his post a bit personally myself. I am guessing all the Coyote we have shot with our system were just my imagination.
    I am not a hunter per-say. I do like taking Coyote. Age/time/etc. have changed greatly reduced my involvement.

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Lord help us in a time of need. Someone please pin this thread to the top so that it may be a warning to others who enter coyote discussions on this forum!

So pappy was stacking them up back in the 60's? Early 70's? Yeah, those were the good ole days... the days when a dead coyote made the newspaper. In the early 80's my dad snared a coyote and the local fur buyer gave him $5. He didn't have a market but it was the first Indiana coyote he'd ever laid eyes on, so he hung it up in his shop. Those were the day when fox calling & trapping were KING, then the coyotes came in heavy.

You can spell-check a few long words, go into complicated designs of asinine illegal traps, claim more 3rd party experiences, but I don't have any beef with whoever you are. It's your "type" that seem to send every friggin' coyote thread onto a death spiral of misinformation. There are no stupid questions, but there's no shortage of stupid answers.

The whole bit about wearing rubber gloves to rub entrails all over the outside of a box trap for coyotes.... that's going to be the punch line when I tell this story in future coyote seminars. It'll get some laughs. It'd take 6 pages of typing to mop up all the misleading crap here, and the author would be labeled a self-proclaimed expert for calling a spade a spade.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the thread. I was just wondering if we are going to have to do something on our property. We have had coyotes before of course, and sometimes hear a pack going through at night. But last night they were yiping for about 10 min.... and then came back again 20 min later and carried on some more. They probably weren't as close as they seemed, but it prompted me to go check on the duck and chicken houses. Our poultry are actually very well-protected at night, but it sounded like a LOT of coyotes.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    well yessur dats wat me papy & me did in da day it was grate - da intraylz er rotn meetgitz rid uv da humen stync aynd it gibs da wynd uh order ta karee ova too da pwediterz nozez - ges doze mamurys wur frum dat pursen eye crosd mentil brane waivs wit wen eye wuz doon doze mined altern drugz en da sevimtyz - soree meye bad - u gawt me - eyel sind yoo doze pikz dough wen eye gitzm - takns agen - hab uh grate dae -owe yoo kneade tue gowe axed uh chikin fawma ef meye eyedeuh howeds wada doe kudz iyt mit wuk

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Lord help us in a time of need. Someone please pin this thread to the top so that it may be a warning to others who enter coyote discussions on this forum!

So pappy was stacking them up back in the 60's? Early 70's? Yeah, those were the good ole days... the days when a dead coyote made the newspaper. In the early 80's my dad snared a coyote and the local fur buyer gave him $5. He didn't have a market but it was the first Indiana coyote he'd ever laid eyes on, so he hung it up in his shop. Those were the day when fox calling & trapping were KING, then the coyotes came in heavy.

You can spell-check a few long words, go into complicated designs of asinine illegal traps, claim more 3rd party experiences, but I don't have any beef with whoever you are. It's your "type" that seem to send every friggin' coyote thread onto a death spiral of misinformation. There are no stupid questions, but there's no shortage of stupid answers.

The whole bit about wearing rubber gloves to rub entrails all over the outside of a box trap for coyotes.... that's going to be the punch line when I tell this story in future coyote seminars. It'll get some laughs. It'd take 6 pages of typing to mop up all the misleading crap here, and the author would be labeled a self-proclaimed expert for calling a spade a spade.

Please Jason teach us country boys the right way to hunt yotes ??? O' sorry don't mean to **** you off by calling them yotes, let me correct myself "coyotes"... Give us some of your seminar teachings.... Please educate us with non stupid answers, I would prefer real world knowledge and not some book readings... Feel free to correct my type o's too if you like ??? Carry on. ;) I mean know disrespect just like to learn from someone who gives seminars on yote hunting, oops sorry again "coyote" hunting... Carry on. :)

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    tB0xa4k_facepalm_at_computer.gif

This is why internet discussion forums are borderline useless for people that actually want to learn nowadays. Guy asks question, guy gets good answers & resources.... then... inevitably... guy gets bombarded with exaggerated BS and chest pounding 3rd person stories... guy leaves confused. All the non-posting bystanders are confused.

Anyone that has called, trapped, decoyed, snared or otherwise seriously worked with coyotes very much can see right through this crap. Most of it is so silly, like Tabloid headlines, people with common sense don't even take the time to stop and contradict it. Hell sometimes it's hard to tell where to begin!

God forbid someone with a little knowledge pull over at a train wreck like this, they're just labeled know-it-all jerks by the blushing story tellers. Been there, got the T-shirt.

Let's just cut the crap so this thread doesn't go down the tube like so many other coyote related threads on here.

-Trapping & Snaring is the most effective way to remove your coyotes, coyote trapping season is in right now.
    -Trapping & Snaring is an art, coyotes are tricky, this isn't going to be a walk in the park.
    -Hoosier Trapper Supply will hook you up with the tools and knowledge to move forward.

-Calling & Killing coyotes is much more complicated than Trapping & Snaring, it won't yield the results of good trapping technique.
    -Using a live chicken for bait is an illegal tactic most commonly employed by imaginative heavy drinkers or teenage boys.
    -The effectiveness of a dangling a chicken to draw coyotes is a perceived notion, not a legitimate tactic, don't do it.

-Most powder-driven projectiles will kill a coyote in the right circumstances, that doesn't make them all "good coyote medicine".
    -You, me, nobody is going to "thin the coyotes around here" for any extended period of time.
    -The older I get, the more the term "yote" pisses me off. I think I'll start calling deer, "Duh" to abbreviate.

:):
    - Carry on.

your-high-horse.jpg

Seriously though, when's the next seminar?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm no yote hunter, but have killed a few.

Used to hunt a lot of critters, and spent a ton of time out blasting chucks. In my areas during the 80's.................a coyote was a rare critter.
    Never saw one. Fox were around, even greys. Central IN locations.

FWIW old redneck coyote killing method..............best one I've heard of, probably not legal.

Now I see yotes but not the latter.............well, first red fox of the yr, saw last night, in town, as I was coming home from work.
    I should probably fondle my .22 mag Contender now ;)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Internet forums, so much BS....................I try to counter some now and then, but that's just for my entertainment.
    It's not like I think any real education or good comes from such antics.
    Those that can't think, never will (doesn't matter the subject).

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    There is one poster in particular in this thread that needs to cool his jets, lest he get a visit from the ban-hammer-of-doom for slinging insults. He is miserably close to the "personal attacks/insults" line as it is.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, my father is now thinking that he's going at this the wrong way. Maybe we should look into finding a way to keep the coyotes off his property. We're going to install some BRIGHT LED security lights onto his large pole barn, so it will light up the property if anything steps on it. I read where coyotes become nervous around bright lights.

He's also going to finish installing the fence around his property. It won't be no 6ft. fence, but just a normal height chain link fence, which is better than nothing.

We'll see how that works out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, my father is now thinking that he's going at this the wrong way. Maybe we should look into finding a way to keep the coyotes off his property. We're going to install some BRIGHT LED security lights onto his large pole barn, so it will light up the property if anything steps on it. I read where coyotes become nervous around bright lights.

He's also going to finish installing the fence around his property. It won't be no 6ft. fence, but just a normal height chain link fence, which is better than nothing.

We'll see how that works out.

If there is something for them to eat the fence and the light are merely obstacles.
    Should probably wait for JRB to comment and tell us all how stupid we are.

Top Bottom