• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I just saw an entire field being harvested in Carroll Co. about two weeks ago. Don't know where it was headed, but you could try a search on Carroll Co., Cass Co., and Tippecanoe Co. grain elevators and see if that comes up any better.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    wheat

I understand your pain, I've been in the elevators and places as well and they look at you like your crazy if you want one bag. I appreciate the online resources sent and have just placed an order for some #10 cans which I think will be at a great price if it works out. But specifically. If anyone knows of a SPECIFIC place in or around Hamilton county where you can walk in and buy a 50 pound bag of wheat for a reasonable price, I think that's what we are looking for. Thanks to all for the suggestions but we are looking for specifics for now. Any leads let us know.
    every ag business should be getting there supply of wheat in to sell farmers anytime, 50# bags. typically planted in october in indiana. anyone of them will sell you a bag.

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Go to any Mormon church and talk to the Relief Society President. She can get bags of wheat for you if you give her a little time. She will pick it up in Indianapolis on the west side. Sometime the lag time can be about a month.

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    I did contact the LDS cannery in Indy. They do sell the bulk grains, but would not allow me access without an LDS member with me. I dont happen to know any LDS members...

Any INGO LDS around?

I did order some #10 cans of wheat from their online store, and the shipping was free. I think it was around $30 for six cans. A reasonable price, but I wanted to get some stuff to bag up myself.

They also had the best price I've seen for O2 absorbers.

LDS CATALOG

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Call the local LDS church and ask for the name of the relief Society President. She will be able to help you out. I'm LDS and I can't go to the cannery to get things. They aren't set up like a retail outlet so there isn't someone there all the time.
    Go through the local church, you don't have to be a member, you just have to go through the proper hoops for the way it is set up. I just helped my neighbor buy 300 pounds of wheat, plus the cans to put it in plus the oxygen absorbers.

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Just an update. I have contacted nearly every grain elevator around me (Cicero/Ham county) and most seem to think I'm crazy and are no help at all. I talked to one nice fellow at the Waitt Elevator in westfield who said that July is the best time to call and I could probably pick up a 50lb untreated bag for about 15 bucks. That's what I am looking for, unfortunately that is a year away. I have seen a couple of post that says call a couple of your local AG businesses. I don't know what those are. Can you be specific and if possible provide a number. I am looking for 50lb bags for cheap.

I got ahold of a very nice lady at the Carmel LDS organization and she seemed a little reservered becaouse I was a non member (understandable) but went on to give me the number where she said I might be able to get canned or 25lb bags. I'm curious what the price will be. (I'll let you know) but would still love to find a place with 50lbs bags untreated for a good price. Boy, I hate to see what would happen if there is ever a shortage. Again, any help appreciated but please be specific. Don't need (call an ag business or grain elevator or talk to a farmer) I've tried that, no luck.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just an update. I have contacted nearly every grain elevator around me (Cicero/Ham county) and most seem to think I'm crazy and are no help at all. I talked to one nice fellow at the Waitt Elevator in westfield who said that July is the best time to call and I could probably pick up a 50lb untreated bag for about 15 bucks. That's what I am looking for, unfortunately that is a year away. I have seen a couple of post that says call a couple of your local AG businesses. I don't know what those are. Can you be specific and if possible provide a number. I am looking for 50lb bags for cheap.

I got ahold of a very nice lady at the Carmel LDS organization and she seemed a little reservered becaouse I was a non member (understandable) but went on to give me the number where she said I might be able to get canned or 25lb bags. I'm curious what the price will be. (I'll let you know) but would still love to find a place with 50lbs bags untreated for a good price. Boy, I hate to see what would happen if there is ever a shortage. Again, any help appreciated but please be specific. Don't need (call an ag business or grain elevator or talk to a farmer) I've tried that, no luck.
    Hmmm.... that is puzzling. Maybe tell them you want a 50 lb bag of wheat for your horse or your chickens or something, they may be more willing to work with you. Are these places also feed mills? A lot of feed mills will sell you any quantity you want, I just don't understand why these people aren't willing to sell to you.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    This thread makes my head spin.

If there is really this much demand for a cleaned and bagged product, I need to get to work.

Really - how much is everybody looking for?

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Makes my head spin too, all this talk, still no wheat. Unfortunately Lake county is too far for me. Looking for something around Cicero. Just looking for a 50 pound bag at a cheap price. I can find it through mail order and other sources but everyone keeps saying just drop into you local elevator or feed store or etc.... and it's not that simple. I have yet to get any specifics. Thanks for any specific help.

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Hmmm.... that is puzzling. Maybe tell them you want a 50 lb bag of wheat for your horse or your chickens or something, they may be more willing to work with you. Are these places also feed mills? A lot of feed mills will sell you any quantity you want, I just don't understand why these people aren't willing to sell to you.
    I've told them simply looking for a 50lb bag of wheat. They have been nice, They just don't have any like everyone says they do. As far as dropping by my local feed store. What is that. Where is that. Do you have a phone number or address of one in Hamilton county. I've looked at the search engines under all those and find nothing, just generic listings that lead to other listings.

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've told them simply looking for a 50lb bag of wheat. They have been nice, They just don't have any like everyone says they do. As far as dropping by my local feed store. What is that. Where is that. Do you have a phone number or address of one in Hamilton county. I've looked at the search engines under all those and find nothing, just generic listings that lead to other listings.

I am guessing that tractor supply would not be able to get it. There is a feed store at the tipton/hamilton line by lisa's pie shop. I believe it is called MBR feed. The elevator in sheridan has a feed store, right across from biddles precision componets factory on main street, but for the life of me the name is eluding me at the moment.

Did you try the elevator in hortonville?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Unfortunately Lake county is too far for me. Looking for something around Cicero.

I'm all over the place, getting it to you wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Need to know what the product need is, how you want it packaged, and how clean you want it - then what you're willing to pay for it.

I'll work on pricing once I get a good idea of what the wants/needs are.

I may either do it all myself, or find a source (will likely require pallet order quantity). If I'm doing the cleaning and bagging, the potential for options are greater.

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    The hortonville elevator told me that next July would be a good time and that I was looking at 15-20 dollars for an untreated 50lb bag. I'll check the other two on thurs and let you know what I find. Do you know where abouts on the Ham/Tip line. What road that's on. I'm on 19. thanks again.

Ultimatlely, Im looking to make my own flour and food storage. I was planning on using number 10 cans/dry ice and o2 absorbers. Might try 5 gallon buckets as well but first I need to find the wheat at a decent price. I will continue my quest thurs. Thanks.

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The hortonville elevator told me that next July would be a good time and that I was looking at 15-20 dollars for an untreated 50lb bag. I'll check the other two on thurs and let you know what I find. Do you know where abouts on the Ham/Tip line. What road that's on. I'm on 19. thanks again.

Ultimatlely, Im looking to make my own flour and food storage. I was planning on using number 10 cans/dry ice and o2 absorbers. Might try 5 gallon buckets as well but first I need to find the wheat at a decent price. I will continue my quest thurs. Thanks.

MBR is at the corner of 31 and 296 or the county line. Specifically at the north east corner. There is the pie shop directly on the corner, then two other buildings at the next drive east of the pie shop about 12 feet.

Top Bottom