Where is the best place to fish in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    I used to compete in Bass Masters up in Massachusetts/Maine where I am originally from. I love fishing so I was wondering where the best spots in Indiana are. I have been living here for just over a year now so im still a bit new.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Not a whole lot real close to Indy. My father in law fishes the White River some (Broad Ripple Area). He claims the action is actually pretty good in some areas. The river has public access every so often along the entire length.

More White River info:
    Friends of the White River, Indiana

Eagle Creek Reservoir can be decent, especially from a boat. That will let you get away from the over-fished causeway and up against the shore on the north end.

I fish down around Lake Monroe for the most part. The north end has a LOT less boat traffic, and tons of good cover. Monroe has ramps and public access all over. There are other small lakes in that area that can be decent as well. I've fly-fished the tailwaters with some success.

Atterbury can be OK as well. Several lakes/ponds to fish. I've wadded Sugar Creek for Smallmouth and Bluegill.

Here is the DNR's complete map of all public access fishing:
    DNR: Where to Fish

There are TONS of small lakes and streams to fish in the is state, just not much in Indy.

PaulJF

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Linden
    I really like going to Greene/ Sullivan County area. just outside of Linton you will find great camping and fishing. Get your trout stamp and have a blast.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    i fish North Webster. we do pretty well i think we caught around 130 panfish one week for a fish fry. The musky are pretty impressive as well, but you have to have the right gear for that.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    If you have your own boat or know someone who has one I would suggest usa bassin. I have fished that tourney series for a few years now and its been great. It will also give you a good feel for all the indiana lakes. West boggs is a great lake to fish if your just going out to relax, big fish and not a lot of traffic.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    If you're in Noblesville, the white river has excellent fishing, under the 116th st bridge has a nice put-in for canoes or boats, and plenty of room for fly casting if you want to fish from shore, the 146th st bridge is a good spot too, all the way north to the spill-way in strawtown.

If you want a nice big lake, head East to Summit lake, then hit Wilbut Wright FWA for some shooting before you head home. There is a nice state campground there too, so you can stay the weekend to shoot and fish.

There are alos some very nice nieghborhoos lakes that are fishing friendly. Drop me a PM for details.

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    lake monroe is not bad go to the north northeast side less traffic, and its all slow water on the eastside of the causeway.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    well you stated you would be up for a drive.....

If you have a small paddle boat that will fit in a truck bed, WITH 4X4!!! then try out this place, this was my back yard for 4 yrs when I lived down there!! I regularly caught 4-5lb bass with ease!

DNR: Interlake Property

KreatorOfSorrow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Peru, IN
    Well Im seeing mainly ideas for the lower half of the state. Personally if you're into smallmouth or walleye the Mississinewa river in Miami county is just amazing. Theres a several mile stretch of it from the resevoir and runs into the Wabash. But honestly, its very common to pull out 3 to 4 pound smallmouth. I end up with quite a few of that size each year. I usually like to fish topwater; Poppers, Torpedos and such. But a good old mister twister white rubber grub will hammer down on large crappie and walleye/sauger

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    One word of warning...

There is not a single stream, river, or creek in the state, that is safe for eating the fish caught there. Especially in the spring time when fields are being treated with agricultural chemicals.

I love nothing more than a big pile of fresh fried Bluegill and Crappie...so I stick to the ponds and the lakes...and even that doesn't mean I'm 100% safe eating fish caught there.

It's a shame really.

:cheers:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    One word of warning...

There is not a single stream, river, or creek in the state, that is safe for eating the fish caught there. Especially in the spring time when fields are being treated with agricultural chemicals.

I love nothing more than a big pile of fresh fried Bluegill and Crappie...so I stick to the ponds and the lakes...and even that doesn't mean I'm 100% safe eating fish caught there.

It's a shame really.

:cheers:

Round Up has made millions get sick and die. (/sarc)

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I used to compete in Bass Masters up in Massachusetts/Maine where I am originally from. I love fishing so I was wondering where the best spots in Indiana are. I have been living here for just over a year now so im still a bit new.

Pick up the latest issue of Indiana Game and Fish. It has 36 hotspots in Indiana. There's alot of good spots around Indy.

Top Bottom