• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I still see plenty of them around, and shoot them every once in awhile. :cool: My LGS has a couple on the rack, has had them for awhile though. No WASR's, he sold out of them awhile ago and hasn't got any more in.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Does anybody have a ballpark figure to convert a Saiga? I mean the high end.

I spent $429 on parts for converting mine. This included purchasing parts for changing the front sight block, using a 24mm flash hider, and the gas tube and hand guard retainer to use correct AK handguards.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    If you want to just do a trigger conversion it's around 100$ over the price of the gun.

BASIC CONVERSION KIT-CSS all Saiga 223, 7.62, 308, 5.45 Rifles and 410 & 20 Gauge Shotguns

You'll then need a stock. If you want a wood stock you can get them for a few bucks. If you want an ace folding stock it's considerably more.

Here is an example of a basic conversion with what appears to be tapco saw and Kvar stock
    18438d1234232636-saiga-223-pistol-grip-conversion-done-saiga-.223.jpg

Personally all i'd do after this would be cut the shroud off the barrel and thread it (if it's not) add a muzzle device and be done (or add a rail).

Purists will continue the conversion to include adding a hand guard retainer and a different gas tube so they can use wood/poly ak furniture to then make the gun looks like this

images

you can then go further and replace the front sight with a threaded one or one with a plunger pin for your muzzle devices.

Depending on what your needs are you can restore a saiga back to this

images

or make a modern battle rifle like this

IMG_19611.jpg

Tws top cover
    vltor stock tube
    magpul ctr
    uspalm grip

images

EDIT: just saw clay's posting and he is correct, to restore a saiga to arsenal quality you're better off just buying one from Kvar. If you want something similar to the last rifle pictured, you're better off buying a saiga and converting yourself as you won't need the furniture, the proper front sight, the upper and lower hanguard retainers etc etc etc.

As always que if you end up converting a saiga you're welcome to share a spot on the futon and we'll do the conversion together...and that's not a euphemism for anything other than restore the rifle.

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I'm about to put up some really rare and expensive one's for sale, but unless you're a collector, you probably won't want them. I've recommended 1000x over just to buy a saiga and convert it. You'll have a blast during the conversion process which will cause you to want to convert more (and do more detailed/accurate conversions) It's a great way to learn about your rifle.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Does anybody have a ballpark figure to convert a Saiga? I mean the high end.

Approximately $725 in this Saiga 5.45x39. I converted it myself. Everything is high end. All holes welded shut, complete Duracoat finish.

ProductSamplePhoto_-3.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

IMG-20120130-00012.jpg

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There's something fundamentally wrong with a good-looking AK. They should all look beat-to-hell, have a shovel handle for a stock, etc. :):

Top Bottom