Where do you draw the line between Quality and Price?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I would go for a used Smith & Wesson 3rd. generation semi-auto.

Don't know where everybody is getting their $350.00 GLOCKS. Locally, a GLOCK that isn't beat and battered brings more than $350.00.

RFT

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Valpo
    On the flip side of that question, is a Kimber CDP II worth the money for home defense, occasional carry and fun at the range?

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    The two best "bang for the buck" guns I have found recently are a used leo Sig P229, .40 cal. with night sights and three mags. for $320 and a CZ 75BD, 9mm with two mags., LNIB for $300.

Some of the used leo guns have been carried alot and shot for qualifications only. They may have some holster wear and need a good cleaning but are a great bargain IMHO. The one I purchased had 500 rounds +/- and I know the cop that carried it.

Great bargains can be found.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Syracuse, In
    I dont know where your at but the Syracuse In Hardware on Main Street had a used Glock 23 .40 in their case for $350.00 it looks to be in great shape. I would have bought it myself but I already have a 23!

zlittell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    right now im carrying a kel-tech pf9 i like it alot actually and they are around 300 new

also my first handgun was a g17 that i bought on this very forum and drove to pick up... just put up a wtb ad and the guy txted me after school. cost me a swift $300

honestly the best way to get a real good carry piece is to KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN deals are everywhere all the time espiecally in this time of bad economy. the best way to make quick cash for people is to sell some of their extra weapons.

-zack-

BIG TIM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fountaintown
    Take a look at the old style full metal S+W semi autos on the market today. They are very dependable and proven pistols and priced very well in most cases. CDNN has a lot of these cheap. I would look at 9mm or .40 cal. The only problem with most is that they are a little heavier than many new design pistols. I believe you could easily pick one up around $300.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I would save your money and buy something good the first time. That is not saying it is impossible to get a quality pistol for 200-300. IMO, the problem is when you set a price you may not be getting what firearm is best for you.

If you stick to the $300 max, you'll primarily be looking at used pistols. Sig 225 or P6's use to go as low as 300. Third gen S&W's are great choices, I have two myself. I don't care for them but Ruger P series fall into your range. Revolvers would be the only other choice I could see. It is possible to find a Glock that cheap but I have only seen one under $300 and I bought it.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    The question it really comes down to is, how much is your life worth, or more, how much are you willing to spend to protect your life.

I've bought new and used, and never had a problem with either. I've owned several kel-tecs and felt comfortable carrying any of them.

People ask the same question about motorcycle helmets all the time. I buy a mid-priced helmet, because it does the same as the higher price, w/o all the flash and extras.

DIRTY HARRY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am telling the truth(regardless of non beleivers) a Hi-Point is worth checking out! They are the 4th largest manufacturer of hand guns in the US and come to you with a "LIFETIME " guarentee no matter how many owners. The best part is they retail for under $200.00.

Read up on the factory and the owners background, he is of the thought that everyone should be able to defend themselves and at an affordable cost.

No it is not a fancy show piece but delivers a great bang for the buck. I have two, a .45 ACP and a 9mm, and I am very impressed with both, yes they are heavy and ugly, but they will stop you on a dime if the time comes. Don't take my word for it, do some research!

MY OTHER GUNS ARE GREAT AS WELL BUT FOR THE MONEY AND HOME DEFENSE, YOU WON'T BE DISSAPOINTED!

slowmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Indy area
    Personally, I'm too poor to buy cheap. There is only one handgun that I own that I regret buying (Glock 19). If you decide that you want a Glock, Sig, S&W, or whatever, don't settle for less. Sooner or later, you will regret being cheap. I understand that times are tough, but, if you have $300 that you can spend now, wait a little bit and you will have $400 or whatever you need. Most gunshops (if not all) will allow you to put a gun in lay-away. Slap that $300 down on whatever and put $20 a week on your gun until you own it. I'm sure, if you pinched pennies, that you could come up with $20 plus a week.

+1 I would say go with the lay-away option. Get what you want without wishing that you would have spent just a little more.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Some interesting and even some very arrogant opinions here. "Buy quality or don't buy anything"..... Hey that's awesome!!!!:rolleyes: So.. If you can't afford to protect your family with a Glock, Sig., XD, or etc. .....don't protect them at all. Simply Brilliant!!! :n00b:

How about this...... Buy something.... ANYTHING ....... shoot it until you can be proficient and all the time be saving for a "quality" piece. I know Slacker for one did exactly that. Right, Slacker?? :dunno:

A few of you guys really need to pull your heads out of your asses and realize that not everybody can go to gun shows or shops and fill their safes for shits and giggles.

Anything is better than nothing to protect you and yours while you "squirrel-away" funds to buy a nicer firearm, especially in these times. :rockwoot:

Anyone who is truly strapped financially, and can't afford much (for right now) read the links in my sig.. Several of our resident gun dealers here have spoken truth and said that they will do the job if that's all you can afford. PM me if you need help and I'll do what I can to help as far as info. and leads. :patriot:

:cheers:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    In the price range you gave, my money would be on a Makarov. If you're looking for one to carry, they can be concealed without much effort, they're dead reliable (when properly maintained, of course) and while the cartridge isn't terribly powerful, its balistically superior to .380 and can get the job done with a little help on your part. I carried one for a long time, and never felt undergunned.

Also, shop used. Sometimes you can find a good deal. I picked up my first Glock for just under $400. Like others have already said, A gun is better than NO gun.

I also agree with the Hi-Point advocates...it looks kind of like a cordless drill, and I can't imagine trying to conceal one, but they're an inexpensive handgun that'll serve you well and the company stands behind their products 100%.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    While I agree to buying a good gun, sometimes you need one now. Or at least feel you do. There are many options. Revolvers are mostly reliable. Look at Charter Arms, used Smiths, or Taurus revolvers. They can always turn into your bedside, truck or fishing gun when you get something you would rather have.

If you feel you need one now. Get it now, don't wait for a better deal or price. I carried a number of low priced guns all over the world because that was all I could get. I do not feel you are bullet proof just because you carry a higher priced gun. The better, or sometimes luckier, shooter wins the fight. Not the one with the better gun.

Seen a couple guys that was killed with a single barreled shotgun that was wrapped with wire because it had a broken stock. They was carrying new AK's.

antdog/zook

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    If you're able to spend $300 now, you can also save up a little while longer and get into a used Glock at $385-400. You had one before, you liked it and are familiar with them; that should be your #1 choice, IMO.

The $200-$300 range will get you into a police trade-in S&W, used Ruger or Taurus, or a new Kel-Tec or Bersa.

What's your life worth?

great comment!
    like when buying a motorcycles helmet, get a $10 helmet if you have a $10 head.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    great comment!
    like when buying a motorcycles helmet, get a $10 helmet if you have a $10 head.

Except that with riding you can choose to do so or not. With self defense you do not get the choice when you will need to protect yourself.

Get a Makarov or HiPoint and then start saving for the better gun. But, now, get something.

The Makarov that you have is better than the Kimber sitting at the store in Layaway!

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I would buy a KelTec all day long before i ever looked at a Taurus. Look into a PF9 or a P-11.

You may also want to look at a Bersa 380.

If you can skrimp up $400 then your options will mushroom.

Top Bottom