• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    So on Monday the 20th I went up to Bradis just to look around and maybe check out the new PAP AK pistol if it was in yet, It wasnt. So i make my rounds through the store and stop by the 1911 case, and thats where I saw it. A Stainless Springfield Loaded 1911. I didnt think much of it at first but still wanted to check it out, but as my Colt XSE is still fairly fresh I wasnt thinking of getting another 1911 just yet.

Somthing about it struck me. As I racked the slide I noticed how much tighter it is than my Colt. I feel the action a few times dropping the slide from less than about half way to hear a nice pleasing "snick" where as my Colt is more of a hollow "thump". The trigger is smooth as butter and tight with no play. Where as my Colt has a little take up and some slop in the trigger fit. The thumb safety is positive as it snaps with a nice load click on and off. My Colt is stiff and also has a little play. The palm safety doesnt rattle in the slightest and feels perfect. My Colt's palm safety has just a little play but does not rattle. The barrel fit is tight with no visible difference in slide to frame fit from side to side. My Colt has a tight barrel fit but if you look closely one side of the frame is just a little closer to the slide than the other.

I walked away from it but that night it started. The thought of, How much tighter it was than my Colt, Adding Nightsights, new grips, more mags, a new holster, holding it and my Colt in each hand and shooting Boondock Saints style. You know the usual. This kept up all last week.

So yesturday I went back, It was still there.

So I put it in layaway.

This will be my third 1911. Is there any cure or am I a hopless case?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville

I figured as much. It seems I can only trade one addiction for another. I traded my Sig addiction for this 1911 addiction apparently.

It's a twelve step program. You have nine to go.

I know it. I need a Dan Wesson, a Wilson Combat, a Les Baer, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, a couple of cheaper ones to abuse so, Rock Island, and American Classic, then a few collector grades so an original WWII piece a First Gen Kimber.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hello.....My name is Churchmouse and I am an addict.

You now know why I preach the Springfield endlessly. I have (3) Colts and love them both for function and emotional reasons. They are nice guns but the Springers are just so much nicer. The loaded you held is as good as it gets in that price range. Look into a Range officer with all the toys and you will be impressed with it as well. I have 2 of them.

No, there is no known cure so feed the addiction.

Anything above a TRP and you are paying for a name. I have shot all the pieces on your wish list and actually prefer my Trophy Match or my TRP.
    They are are way cool etc but run no better than the Springers IMHO

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Hello.....My name is Churchmouse and I am an addict.

You now know why I preach the Springfield endlessly.

Funny thing. I accually thought of you when I was putting it in layaway, I thought "Man Churchmouse was right" and yes I see now why you preach the gospel of Springfield. You had alot to do with my conversion.:yesway:. Thanks buddy. Not only is it much tighter and cleaner looking than my Colt, but by the time it was all said and done it was also about $300.00 cheaper. :n00b:

The Colt isnt going anywhere, but I think the Springfield may become an EDC piece.

Ive shot the TRP and Honestly I didnt care for the checkering on the grip. It felt to aggressive and hurt my girly little hands. after a few hundred rounds.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I actually listed one of mine just a little bit ago for trade, then woke up and closed it! Lol, as much as I don't shoot mine these days I can't get rid of them. I'm getting them out this weekend and playing, there's plenty of ammo to blow! :D I was looking at a used Springer Mil spec last week, would love to have it!

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    The day I traded my 1991A1 Compact colt for my full-size Springer Mil-Spec wsa the best decision I've made in a long time. I loved my colt. Bu I like this one so much more. Now I want an EMP.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have noticed since I bought my Sig ultra compact 1911 that I look at 1911's more now than I used to. I have always admired how cool the 1911's looked but had always accepted they were too big for me to carry. Now that I know the smaller ones can be carried, they seem to call out to me.

I never intended to buy a 1911 but the little Sig haunted my soul until I went back for it. By the OP's story, I have to wonder if maybe all 1911's are enchanted and us mere mortals are just too weak to resist their charm. :dunno:

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    1911s are good for you. Its like being addicted to healthy food. Don't fight it, just enjoy it.

Springfield Loadeds are amazing guns, especially at the price point. I've had one for around 8 years, who knows how many rounds through it, and the only issue I've ever had is a night sight vial of that glowy stuff backing out. Little super glue, pushed it back in, fixed.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Funny thing. I accually thought of you when I was putting it in layaway, I thought "Man Churchmouse was right" and yes I see now why you preach the gospel of Springfield. You had alot to do with my conversion.:yesway:. Thanks buddy. Not only is it much tighter and cleaner looking than my Colt, but by the time it was all said and done it was also about $300.00 cheaper. :n00b:

The Colt isnt going anywhere, but I think the Springfield may become an EDC piece.

Ive shot the TRP and Honestly I didnt care for the checkering on the grip. It felt to aggressive and hurt my girly little hands. after a few hundred rounds.

The TRP is pretty aggressive, but you get used to it. The first week with mine was pretty rough, but after that I've grown to love it, especially on a 90+ degree day shooting 6 course USPSA match.

Someone told me the TRPs have the bushing and barrel hand fitted in the custom shop. Dunno if that's true, but I think my TRP may surpass my Shadows in the accuracy department. That's saying something.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    The TRP is pretty aggressive, but you get used to it. The first week with mine was pretty rough, but after that I've grown to love it, especially on a 90+ degree day shooting 6 course USPSA match.

Someone told me the TRPs have the bushing and barrel hand fitted in the custom shop. Dunno if that's true, but I think my TRP may surpass my Shadows in the accuracy department. That's saying something.

It is my understanding that the whole gun is fitted in the custom shop. All of the major components on my TRP operator full-rail have the serial number on them showing they were fitted to that frame.

Mark

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have to wonder if maybe all 1911's are enchanted and us mere mortals are just too weak to resist their charm. :dunno:

Yes. From my experiance there is no doubt.

When I was a new member here I was fairly biased against 1911s and had all but sworn them off. I even posted a few stories about how a friend of mine's old Colt had the front sight fly off and how a friend of my dads Springfield was a jam-o-matic and I would never own either one.

Well now that I know a little more about 1911s and have had more experiance with them my opinion has obviously changed. I know now that the pinned on front sights on the older Colts was prone to fly off after a few thousand rounds and that my dads friend's Springfield just needed a new recoil spring. In fact Ive shot it since he replaced the spring and it was flawless.

Now they call to me.

The 1911 is America's gun, no doubt that has alot to do with it too. Its an Icon of pure Americana that is instantly recognized even by people who know nothing about guns.

Love me some 1911 goodness now.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    It is my understanding that the whole gun is fitted in the custom shop. All of the major components on my TRP operator full-rail have the serial number on them showing they were fitted to that frame.

Mark

Where'd you hear/see that?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    If you are looking to start a south Indy chapter, count me in..:)

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Top Bottom