• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I've recently tried open carry after 15+ years of carrying concealed and it's been fine as I knew it would be.
    I can't help but to feel a little self-conscious but that's normal I guess.
    Various stores, gas stations, etc... no issues. I just feel that all eyes are on me everywhere I go.
    I still think CC is more self-defense strategic, but OC does have it's advantages.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've recently tried open carry after 15+ years of carrying concealed and it's been fine as I knew it would be.
    I can't help but to feel a little self-conscious but that's normal I guess.
    Various stores, gas stations, etc... no issues. I just feel that all eyes are on me everywhere I go.
    I still think CC is more self-defense strategic, but OC does have it's advantages.

Welcome to the dark side.:laugh:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OC'd to Patriot Grill in Greenwood yesterday. Never knew the place existed...

An older man sitting near the entrance saw me as I came in. A little while later he came over to my table and said he noticed me carrying "a piece". Said he appreciates it, and asked what the process is to get a license these days. Then he laid his "Retired Sheriff" license on the table.

We had a great gun talk, and I had a great 1lb bacon BLT.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Movie theater, and Men's Warehouse.

Look, it's summer and I have shirts that are fairly light and long and loose enough to cover a weapon, but I thought "The hell with this!" and used an OWB holster to OC. I sure was comfortable! And no one got hurt! :D

In the movie theater there were plenty of folks and no one even seemed to notice or care. At men's Warehouse, one associate had a bit of an "eye-bulge" moment when he first noticed I was carrying, but after 10 minutes he seemed relaxed. After all, I was perfectly polite, thanked him for his assistance, paid my bill in full and went on my way. Another older gentleman helped me get fitted for a sports jacket, and perfectly aware that I was carrying checked the fit of the jacket and said he did not mean to intrude or "get acquainted with my personal affects". He was an absolute professional.

These two days made me realize I might have ignored OC as an option out of fear. Fear of some sort of retaliation or judgment, but I had nothing but positive interactions and experiences. I found that even people who were obviously surprised or shocked to see a weapon eventually relaxed and seemed fine after a while. I feel that being polite and non-confrontational is even more important if your OC, as we are going to be put under a microscope and kind of open ourselves up to surveillance, judgment, and possible condemnation. In that case, being nice sure can go a long way, IMO.

I tried to act as if I wasn't even carrying a weapon. I was aware of what was around me, but I tried to act like it was no big deal: like it was just a cell phone on my belt, and I was just a nice guy trying to do business. Which, after all, is the truth. If anyone is like me, and feel scared about OC, I urge you to try it once.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just left Chik-fil-a on 86th near Trader's Point. As I was leaving, made a trip to the men's room. 5 Officers were there having lunch. None seemed to notice or care.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Movie theater, and Men's Warehouse.

Look, it's summer and I have shirts that are fairly light and long and loose enough to cover a weapon, but I thought "The hell with this!" and used an OWB holster to OC. I sure was comfortable! And no one got hurt! :D

In the movie theater there were plenty of folks and no one even seemed to notice or care. At men's Warehouse, one associate had a bit of an "eye-bulge" moment when he first noticed I was carrying, but after 10 minutes he seemed relaxed. After all, I was perfectly polite, thanked him for his assistance, paid my bill in full and went on my way. Another older gentleman helped me get fitted for a sports jacket, and perfectly aware that I was carrying checked the fit of the jacket and said he did not mean to intrude or "get acquainted with my personal affects". He was an absolute professional.

These two days made me realize I might have ignored OC as an option out of fear. Fear of some sort of retaliation or judgment, but I had nothing but positive interactions and experiences. I found that even people who were obviously surprised or shocked to see a weapon eventually relaxed and seemed fine after a while. I feel that being polite and non-confrontational is even more important if your OC, as we are going to be put under a microscope and kind of open ourselves up to surveillance, judgment, and possible condemnation. In that case, being nice sure can go a long way, IMO.

I tried to act as if I wasn't even carrying a weapon. I was aware of what was around me, but I tried to act like it was no big deal: like it was just a cell phone on my belt, and I was just a nice guy trying to do business. Which, after all, is the truth. If anyone is like me, and feel scared about OC, I urge you to try it once.

That's the way it usually goes...

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    South Bend Police Department.
    ba-dum-tss.gif

Top Bottom