• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Anywhere that is associated with k-12 and headstart (school, ball fields while schools are playing there, a church with headstart/preschool)
    Post Office
    PoPo station
    pretty much every government building

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I also heard shopping malls.

Is there anywhere left to go with concealed carry?! Ah Yes, my own home is still on the approved list!!
    Shopping malls are legal to carry in. They may have a sign up, but the signs hold no weight of law in Indiana. They can simply ask you to leave, and if you refuse, you may face a trespassing charge.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I bought an excellent book at the Indy 1500 a while back that did a good job detailing the laws in Indiana. I need to get back there and buy the 2010 version to see what has changed.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I bought an excellent book at the Indy 1500 a while back that did a good job detailing the laws in Indiana. I need to get back there and buy the 2010 version to see what has changed.

That would be Bryan Lee Ciyou's book and it's an excellent resource. I'm not aware that there's a third edition out yet, although I've heard rumours that he's working on one. The 2nd Ed. is 2007.

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    Federal laws restricting on fed land have recently changed, state parks and federal parks now i believe are a go. if you are passing though a school property according to currect IC code laws you are also ok.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Federal laws restricting on fed land have recently changed, state parks and federal parks now i believe are a go. if you are passing though a school property according to currect IC code laws you are also ok.

Correct on state and federal parks, fed as of this morning :rockwoot:, but for schools pretty much if you are operating a vehicle and dropping off or picking someone up. And by operating they mean sitting in the drivers seat. Not just passing through.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Correct on state and federal parks, fed as of this morning :rockwoot:, but for schools pretty much if you are operating a vehicle and dropping off or picking someone up. And by operating they mean sitting in the drivers seat. Not just passing through.

In Indiana, State Parks have been LEGAL since the beginning.

But beginning this morning, NATIONAL parks are now able to reflect the hosting state's carry laws.

IE: A national park in Indiana (Indiana Dunes), we can now carry as Indiana allows it.

IF there were a national park in Illinois, we would NOT be able to carry because Illinois doesn't let ANYONE carry*

*Unless you're a current or retired LEO carrying under LEOSA...but even then there are restrictions.

Another example: Massachusetts allows the carry of handguns, but they do NOT recognize any other state's permit/license. So, MA residents would be able to carry legally in any kind of national park that's in MA, but us Hoosiers could not...because we're not allowed to carry at all in MA.

Also: Keep in mind that there's a big difference between a National Park and a National Forest.... National Forests have been "good to go" for a while now.

-J-

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    In Indiana, State Parks have been LEGAL since the beginning.

But beginning this morning, NATIONAL parks are now able to reflect the hosting state's carry laws.

IE: A national park in Indiana (Indiana Dunes), we can now carry as Indiana allows it.

IF there were a national park in Illinois, we would NOT be able to carry because Illinois doesn't let ANYONE carry*

*Unless you're a current or retired LEO carrying under LEOSA...but even then there are restrictions.

Another example: Massachusetts allows the carry of handguns, but they do NOT recognize any other state's permit/license. So, MA residents would be able to carry legally in any kind of national park that's in MA, but us Hoosiers could not...because we're not allowed to carry at all in MA.

Also: Keep in mind that there's a big difference between a National Park and a National Forest.... National Forests have been "good to go" for a while now.

-J-

Correct on other states have different rules and Fed parks follow the states rules. But slightly incorrect on IN state parks. There was for a while regulations that firearms and bows had to be unloaded and cased unless being used for lawful hunting or target shooting. This was changed I think about two ago, I can't remember when the restrictions went into effect. This was not done under Indiana code, but under Indiana administrative code iirc.

Also one more caveat on the Fed parks, some of the buildings are still considered Fed buildings and firearms are not allowed. Except under leosa and such. I can't find the cite at the moment, but basically any building that was used for "habitation" ranger stations, offices, recreation/education buildings etc., but ones like outhouses and such are not.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Correct on other states have different rules and Fed parks follow the states rules. But slightly incorrect on IN state parks. There was for a while regulations that firearms and bows had to be unloaded and cased unless being used for lawful hunting or target shooting. This was changed I think about two ago, I can't remember when the restrictions went into effect. This was not done under Indiana code, but under Indiana administrative code iirc.

Also one more caveat on the Fed parks, some of the buildings are still considered Fed buildings and firearms are not allowed. Except under leosa and such. I can't find the cite at the moment, but basically any building that was used for "habitation" ranger stations, offices, recreation/education buildings etc., but ones like outhouses and such are not.

Actually, it was a DNR administrative RULE that prohibited the carry of weapons in State Parks, etc. It wasn't ever State LAW. This administrative rule was rescinded 3-4 years ago to bring these state properties in line with the rest of Indiana as a whole.

And yes, concerning the National Parks... Chances are that, aside from the public restrooms, that firearms are still verboten. Nature center? Better find a place to lock it up or pray pray pray that you're not discovered.

-J-

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Also, to be clear.

The new National Park carry law still doesn't affect the carrying of weapons on CoE lands. Unless someone has new information it is still not legal to carry there.

Top Bottom