• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I wanted to ask if anyone knew of anyone that can refinish a glock slide with a hard chromed aka stainless steel finish. Been wanting one with a matte chrome type look. But haven't found any that has a reasonable price. I saw ford's guns do it but they are kinda high. I want to find someone who does it in a price range at if at all possible around 50 or so dollars. To anyone who knows of anyone or any place. let me know please.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Maybe try this INGo sponsor?

Welcome to Nash Gunwerx

I don't think he does chrome, but he could probably do Duracoat or something similar for a faux stainless steel type look, if the OP is just looking for cosmetics.

For functionality, the best non-black finish I've found is NP3 (electroless nickel w/ teflon) from Robar Premium Finishing. Very durable, aesthetically pleasing, and makes cleanup a breeze.

That's what I had done on the pistol shown on the left:
    two_23s.jpg

Not cheap, but worth the money. Plus, Robar offers internet discounts about twice a year, good for 20% off all their refinishing services.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I think BD wants hard chrome or a similar finish, not the shiny chrome plate. He saw the hard chrome on my G33 but I can't get in touch with the guy that did it for me. I like the Robar finish and am wanting to try the Duracoat or Ceracoat(sp?)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I've used some cerakote or similar on motorcycle parts.

Same stuff they spray on automotive headers and the like.
    I've got some somewhere in the garage.

Clean parts well, remove all grease.
    Gut a small detail spray gun and apply a thin coating.
    Thicker will cause cracking. Bake in the oven as directed.
    Finish with steel wool and leave it like that or use mother's or similar
    polish to brighten.

It's pretty straight forward, just keep the spray out of the nooks and crannies.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Does the Cerecoat stand up to solvents and lubricants?

Both as far as I can tell. They coat intakes and other engine parts as well
    that are subject to hi temp, oil, gas, carb cleaner etc.
    Also protects the headers from corrosive gasses inside and saltwater, etc. outside. I've have some on some headers that look good as the first day they
    were done and that's been over 8 yrs.

I have not tried on a firearm as of yet.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    My son got a Glock 20 slide Hard Chromed through Premier Arms in Brownsburg. I kow they sent it out somewhere but it was a very nice job. Re3commend you contact them.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Check with this guy in Louisiana - http://www.plate-tacular.com/ I've shot with the owner (Daniel) before. Nice guy, funny and knows a thing or two about guns.

Here is another great option for $68 before shipping: Untitled 1

Virgil Tripp used to be THE handgun chrome guy until he closed up shop a few years ago. It's a shame he's not doing it any longer.

DiamProducer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Anderson
    BD
    I know someone already posted Customized Creationz, but I just spent about 30 minutes on the phone with him and he seems like a really great guy. I'm sending mine in to him in about 2 weeks to get black chromed, and the barrel polished, but for $155. I know that is a little more than you were looking to spend but from what I've seen that is one of the cheapest around. And he is not just a general plater he specializes in guns.

Customized Creationz

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Tripp Research stopped hard chroming last summer.

As quoted from their website

"Tripp Research Inc. discontinued its refinishing division effective 06/13/2008. This includes both Hard Chrome and Coating services. This is a permanent cessation of refinishing services. It is not temporary. We are not accepting refinishing jobs received after this date. Our Magazines, Products, and Firearm Development divisions are performing at all-time highs, and we are concentrating our focus on these aspects of our business.
    We have enjoyed supplying the pistol community with superior Hard Chrome and Coating for 11 years. Tripp Research Inc. continues to stand by all of our refinishing work. Should you have any warranty questions regarding our refinishing, please contact Virgil Tripp. Our refinishing customers have been some of the best people any business could have and we will continue to serve everyone with superior 1911 Magazines, AR-15 Magazines and Products. Thank you for a over a decade of refinishing successes and all your support."

Top Bottom