• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I have a Comanche 250. About 600 hours total time. Had my ticket since 1998. Instrument rated but not current. Owned a Cessna 172 and a Piper Cub in the past.
    My flying has taken a back burner to the kids and their activities. Don't want to sell it because I'd probably never be able to buy back in.

kybares

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Reading through the last few posts, there has been some great advice given for those interested in choosing a career in aviation. I learned to fly using steam gauges, and later in my career moved to glass. It is funny, one of the first things you loose with glass gauges is your scan, suddenly all of your information is found in one source. Lose that source and you are suddenly back to steam gauges, and scanning becomes paramount once again. During my last airline interview I was asked if I could draw the hydraulic and electrical schematic for the last two airplanes I flew. I asked which they wanted first, started drawing immediately and after a couple of minutes was told that was more than enough. That got me into the simulator check. Low and behold, it had no glass, but rather, steam gauges. With a good scan, it is amazing how simple life can be for you. I have been flying electric jets now for the past 18 years, but when or if it all fails, the steam gauges will still bring me home, God willing.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Reading through the last few posts, there has been some great advice given for those interested in choosing a career in aviation. I learned to fly using steam gauges, and later in my career moved to glass. It is funny, one of the first things you loose with glass gauges is your scan, suddenly all of your information is found in one source. Lose that source and you are suddenly back to steam gauges, and scanning becomes paramount once again. During my last airline interview I was asked if I could draw the hydraulic and electrical schematic for the last two airplanes I flew. I asked which they wanted first, started drawing immediately and after a couple of minutes was told that was more than enough. That got me into the simulator check. Low and behold, it had no glass, but rather, steam gauges. With a good scan, it is amazing how simple life can be for you. I have been flying electric jets now for the past 18 years, but when or if it all fails, the steam gauges will still bring me home, God willing.

The glass stuff is not as reliable either..... not saying I don't like glass but we are allways having issues..... most of the time a reset fixes it though. I think those old gauges are about done... you can get 172's now with glass even..

We had a pilot yesterday in lets say..... a Chicago airport that kept writing up CA DV window scratched up..... it is because of the boot for the jet bridge.... happens on a lot of A/C. Refused it then went to the next A/C and said it was worse and wanted his last plane back.... he got taged with a cancelation.... Also said it was only an issue on the ground that that he guessed he could just slide open the window......

I do think it is nice when pilots at least have an idea how things work's.... helps the wrench turners T/S.

I am not a huge fan of Airbus just because it is all electrical..... loose hydro and pretty much all's you have left is diferential thrust.....

I can't stand aviation these day's though.... personally I am pretty much on my way out the door with this buisness never to return.... seems like any time someone goes to the bathroom maintenance or maintenance related feilds are in that toilet haha.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    Not too fond of the Airbus myself, although we have them, I prefer and fly Boeings.

I did fly the airbus for a period and I liked it. I did not care for the systems, but I liked the side stick. I didn't think I would be able to adjust to it and went into training with an attitude that I wouldn't like it. But honestly, after my first couple of flights in the sim, I was surprised at how natural it felt and how quickly I adjusted to it.

I don't miss the aircraft itself, but I do miss that side stick. I really enjoyed flying it. What put me off the most, and I think this is true for any pilot transitioning to a side stick, is a crosswind landing in it. I was very apprehensive about crosswind landings with a side stick. My brain could not put together how to move my wrist to negotiate a crosswind. But after doing it a couple times, it was just like flying anything else.

The Airbus certainly isn't an aircraft for people who are anti computer as it is one giant computer running it. And depending on the nature of the hydraulic issue, you can drop the RAT and have a little control, but never fool yourself into thinking you have complete control because you don't. I like the Boeing aircraft, but there are certain advantages to the Airbus as well.

I remember the pilots who would jumpseat and make jokes after landing about the voice callouts of 50...40...30...20... RETARD RETARD RETARD That used to make me smile every time I heard it.

Im just wondering if Boeing is ever going to start mass producing the 787. I cant wait to see those come out!

Last edited:

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    you can get 172's now with glass even..

+1, you should hear the "kids" these days starting out flying G1000 glass.

Yeah, I know. It sucks. I had to order a video from Sportys about the G-1000 to learn the thing. The CFI said he could teach me easily, but I am not going to spend a ton of $$$ on him teaching me on the ground when I can watch a video and read some material while eating dinner and relaxing at home. Video was MUCH cheaper than the CFI's time.

While I do know he needs money, as CFI's are poorly paid in my opinion, he will get plenty from me getting me current in the airplane. Heck, Im even paying him cash and just going for some "joy rides" with him to save me money and make him more. It annoys me that the school charges $47 an hour for a CFI and then I find out he is only getting $12 an hour of that. Sorry, but that doesn't sit well with me. I remember when I had to instruct for a period when I made $11 or $12 an hour and the school charged $23 or something for the CFI. I wasn't happy about that, but $47 an hour??? Where is that extra money going? :dunno:

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    With a good scan, it is amazing how simple life can be for you. I have been flying electric jets now for the past 18 years, but when or if it all fails, the steam gauges will still bring me home, God willing.

And that is what scares me. We had a regional guy jumpseat with us to ORD not long ago and we started talking about how we all got into flying. Then came the airplanes we have flown conversation. He has never flown anything that didn't have glass. He went to a certificate mill and got a job with 500 hours. He said he rode with a friend in an old (1990's model LOL) 172 and it had "needles" as he called it. And those needles were so confusing to him. I came to the realization that the computer generation is here.

For me, those "needles" are much easier to follow and keep up with than a screen that flashes crap at you all the time.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    While I do know he needs money, as CFI's are poorly paid in my opinion, he will get plenty from me getting me current in the airplane. Heck, Im even paying him cash and just going for some "joy rides" with him to save me money and make him more. It annoys me that the school charges $47 an hour for a CFI and then I find out he is only getting $12 an hour of that. Sorry, but that doesn't sit well with me. I remember when I had to instruct for a period when I made $11 or $12 an hour and the school charged $23 or something for the CFI. I wasn't happy about that, but $47 an hour??? Where is that extra money going? :dunno:

Pure profit to the FBO. As an A&P it always made me sick to see how much we at the FBO paid for a part, and how much mark up there was to the customer. Usually "the boss" would mark a part up triple MSRP. And since the part had to be FAA certified, there was nothing the A/C owner could do but pay it.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    Pure profit to the FBO. As an A&P it always made me sick to see how much we at the FBO paid for a part, and how much mark up there was to the customer. Usually "the boss" would mark a part up triple MSRP. And since the part had to be FAA certified, there was nothing the A/C owner could do but pay it.

Why does this news not surprise me? :rolleyes:

Thanks for that info, it does make perfect sense.

kybares

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    I don't know a thing about the side sticks, ours are all A300's. I am sure they are nice airplanes, I just prefer Boeings, being the creature of habit that I am. We converted our DC-8's to EFIS long ago, and that was my introduction. It is truly amazing the automation that is standard today vs yesteryear. It is all good, but that being said, I find some degree of comfort knowing that the standby instruments are analog, and I know how to use them.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    I don't know a thing about the side sticks, ours are all A300's. I am sure they are nice airplanes, I just prefer Boeings, being the creature of habit that I am. We converted our DC-8's to EFIS long ago, and that was my introduction. It is truly amazing the automation that is standard today vs yesteryear. It is all good, but that being said, I find some degree of comfort knowing that the standby instruments are analog, and I know how to use them.

DC-8's?!?!?!? I see those in South America from time to time. Never been in one. I hear they are beasts to fly. I fly with a german captain that used to fly them for DHL. I have heard numerous "let me tell ya how the Douglas aircraft would have handled this" type of stories. Never flown one. I did get to ride upfront on a DC-10 once. Nice aircraft.

Been off work for a few days and Thursday its back to the line. Gone for 3 days. Ready to get it over with and get back for vacation next week!

kybares

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    That has been years ago. Been on the 757/767 for the last 17 years. Great airplane, but the new generation has creature comforts the '8 could only dream of. Have a safe trip.

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    Yeah, I know. It sucks. I had to order a video from Sportys about the G-1000 to learn the thing. The CFI said he could teach me easily, but I am not going to spend a ton of $$$ on him teaching me on the ground when I can watch a video and read some material while eating dinner and relaxing at home. Video was MUCH cheaper than the CFI's time.

Yeah, CFI pay is ridiculous. I made more per flight hour my first CFI jobs in and just out of college than I do now. The crazy thing is that I'm now a career instructor (or at least trying to be) since I love instructing and teaching. I make it work by teaching ground classes at the secondary and college level. I couldn't depend on my CFI pay to float me through the summer this year like I used to be able to.

With the 1500 hour rule coming into effect down in the next couple years, it's not going to get any better. It seems the Regionals and electronic check transfers have taken a lot of the entry level charter/cargo jobs away from even early on in my shorter career (but then again I haven't really be looking for those jobs lately). There will be even more of an overload of CFIs for awhile.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield

Could be worse.. could be paying for rotor time......:D

Speaking of old stuff.... I liked working on the 727-200's...... I hear those things are rockets.... not to mention the ones with the Roll's Trent engines in the number 2 slot........ but I think those were only on 100's...... not to mention if a particular CB was pulled........ but I heard most of that stoped after an issue or two hahaha:rockwoot:

Loved the 27's........ you could stand on the gear door to work on it if you wanted to....

P.S. Not anti airlines..... just have had for more negative experiances working for them then positive. When I was working for an MRO I could not complain to much. I also work for a regional..... that is part of the stress...... I may loose my job because of United for a second time haha.... all well... can't complain.... I knew a contractor that got layed off my American 17 times.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    With the 1500 hour rule coming into effect down in the next couple years, it's not going to get any better. It seems the Regionals and electronic check transfers have taken a lot of the entry level charter/cargo jobs away from even early on in my shorter career (but then again I haven't really be looking for those jobs lately). There will be even more of an overload of CFIs for awhile.

Well... CJC is hiring I hear! And UCA is hiring according to one of their guys who was deadheading with me this evening from ORD. I hear they hire at low times.

Its turning around quickly and pilots will be in need. My advice would be to pick a regional company you want to work for, find out all about them and what it takes to get hired, and once you get on STAY THERE FOR A LONG TIME! Dont move to the majors until the guys at the majors are talking about how secure everything is!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Dont move to the majors until the guys at the majors are talking about how secure everything is!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

On a side not, Im at a regional (not a pilot) and anyone will tell you flight crew or not that it is more stable then the major's but that can all change when contracts with the main lines are up for renewal..... (soon for some).

P.S. I hear the smaller cargo airlines (flying King Air's and some of the other smaller airframes) are allways hiring..... not the greatest money but it's a job and flight time. Also know of a guy that flies a charter jet down out of SDF part time.... does not fly a whole bunch but it is sallary so he gets paid regardless if he flies or not.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    All you pilots check out

CEN11FA130

Was a friend of a family member....... The church that his funneral was at was packed.

Im going to guess that someone screwed up the rigs/rig checks or was not paying attention when doing them.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    ATP, Multi Engine Land, Commercial Single Engine Instrument Airplane, CFI, CFII 6000+ Total Time. Typed in Fokker 27, ATR 42, and ATR 72. Currently captain on ATR's. Been there 10 years and love it... usually.

Top Bottom