• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    ATP MEL, CSEL Airplanes, CMEL Airplanes, CFII MEI (Expired years ago) SES (which I havent flown since I got it)

Type rated in E135/145 Airbus A319/320 Boeing 757/767 I miss the Airbus

Current position is 767 FO. Been on the 767 for 2 years now. Hope to see an upgrade to left seat by the end of next year.

I want to get a balloon license out in California next year. Looks fun

Last edited:

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    The main reason I would not want to fly for a living is because I see what the life is like.... people that are not in aviation tend to think it is a glamorous life and you get to see all this coll stuff and in reality it is mostly airports and crash pads....... I figure the long haul wide body crews have it better but I don't know.

It is what you make it. If you dwell on the negative aspects, it will wear on you and you get a chip on your shoulder. If you keep the right attitude, like most anything, it is a very rewarding career in many ways. As far as long haul crews having it better... what is better? I dont feel much different than I did my first day on the job. The life is what you make it. I had just as much fun flying to IAH or EWR as I do flying to London or Paris. The city doesn't matter to me, the union doesn't matter to me, and none of the company drama matters to me. I became a pilot to fly, and I love every minute of it. I refuse to allow other pilots to project their poor me whiny personalities on me.

I tell everyone the same thing. If you want to become an airline pilot, then do it. But always remember why you became a pilot. If it is for money and glamor, you will be miserable as soon as the luster of the uniform wears off. Keep the love for flying alive and you wont become one of the jaded old men.

Avi8tor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Deep South
    It is what you make it. If you dwell on the negative aspects, it will wear on you and you get a chip on your shoulder. If you keep the right attitude, like most anything, it is a very rewarding career in many ways. As far as long haul crews having it better... what is better? I dont feel much different than I did my first day on the job. The life is what you make it. I had just as much fun flying to IAH or EWR as I do flying to London or Paris. The city doesn't matter to me, the union doesn't matter to me, and none of the company drama matters to me. I became a pilot to fly, and I love every minute of it. I refuse to allow other pilots to project their poor me whiny personalities on me.

I tell everyone the same thing. If you want to become an airline pilot, then do it. But always remember why you became a pilot. If it is for money and glamor, you will be miserable as soon as the luster of the uniform wears off. Keep the love for flying alive and you wont become one of the jaded old men.
    Very nicely put my friend:+1:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    ATP MEL, CSEL Airplanes, CMEL Airplanes, CFII MEI (Expired years ago) SES (which I havent flown since I got it)

Type rated in E135/145 Airbus A319/320 Boeing 757/767 I miss the Airbus

Current position is 767 FO. Been on the 767 for 2 years now. Hope to see an upgrade to left seat by the end of next year.

I want to get a balloon license out in California next year. Looks fun

You may almost have as many designations as I have hours. :D

kybares

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    There are basically two types of aviation, General Aviation and Commercial Aviation. While the terms we use can often be utilized in both worlds, the understanding of General Aviation does not translate to ones understanding Commercial Aviation. While as a General Aviation Pilot you fly to a destination for fun, Commercial Aviation Pilots do it for money. That does not make one better than the other, just the reason for going there. Would I prefer to fly a Super Cub on a sunny autumn day instead of a Wide Body? You bet. But in general the bigger the airplane the bigger the paycheck. As I do this for the money, I will fly what brings home the biggest check. Is every destination Eden, or every trip Nirvana? Hardly, but I make the most of every day that I go fly. I am so grateful that I did not listen to some of these misinformed comments before choosing my career. I truly enjoy what I do. It has been a wonderful life for me and my family. This morning I got in from a seven day trip to Asia. Two great days in China, and two days in beautiful Anchorage. We had a great time contrary to how hard it may seem to some posting here. As far as being romantic, my romancing is with my wife. But I can say that flying Commercial is a blast despite what others may tell you. General Aviation is still dear to my heart, and something I admit at times I miss, but being a Commercial Pilot is still a great way to earn a living. Fly safe!

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    being a Commercial Pilot is still a great way to earn a living. Fly safe!

You are 100% correct. I would not trade my job for anything. Guys complain about the pay cuts and such, but I am doing what I love... how many people can honestly say they LOVE to go to work? Not many! I am one who doesn't complain when I get to go to work. Thats not to say that I would not rather be home with my family at times, but I am happy at work and I enjoy it!

You fly safe too. Keep the dirty side down and the airspeed up.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    Not a licensed pilot, but have a lot of hours in all sorts of stuff. Got a degree in avioinics and did installations, retrofits, warbird restorations and such for 8 years while putting my wife and I through postgraduate schooling. Finally decided that upside down in a C150 is no place for a 6'6" guy.

Had a buddy in grad school who'd rent a Mooney M21C and we'd go flying nearly every weekend. Another buddy worked at FlightSafety's Citation center so we'd go over when he had a no-show and fly the jets. On the Citation10 sim, you could apply thrust reversers, give it full power and take off going backwards. Once you got to about 800' AGL, if you dumped the reversers, dropped the nose, and kicked it sideways, you could recover in time to actually complete a J-turn! It was awesome! (Note: Kids, don't try this at home. Go to your friend's house and use his dad's Citation 10 instead).

Hadn't been around planes much the past few years, other than watching with envy as folks turn Base to Final for Metropolitan over my house until about 4 months ago when a friend asked me to help him with a homebuilt. We got his AirCam completed in just about 3 months and now it's got nearly 70 hours on it. I'm getting the itch again BAD!!!!

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    I have a paragliding wing and have powered paralided with some other peoples powered units. Was a lot of fun. But the wing has been setting up in my closet for some years now and I just recently talked to an instructor up in monticello and he is most likely gonna buy it when he comes down to look at it and kite it middle of the month. I have flown with some private pilots once in a single engine 2 seater and once in a twin engine 7 seater. It looks like a lot of fun, maybe someday when I have some more time and money, I can fly some real planes. :)

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    I have a paragliding wing and have powered paralided with some other peoples powered units. Was a lot of fun. But the wing has been setting up in my closet for some years now and I just recently talked to an instructor up in monticello and he is most likely gonna buy it when he comes down to look at it and kite it middle of the month. I have flown with some private pilots once in a single engine 2 seater and once in a twin engine 7 seater. It looks like a lot of fun, maybe someday when I have some more time and money, I can fly some real planes. :)

Money seems to be the major limiting factor for most people in aviation. I have not rented in years. I called around a few days ago to find out about getting current in single engine aircraft again because I am buying an airplane and have not flown a single engine in probably 10 years. I could not believe some places were charging more than $200 a hour! And that was just for the airplane, the instructor was another $40 an hour. It would be cheaper to find a CFI at Indiana State or Purdue and pay them cash for their time. They make more and I pay less.

And all these airplane have that Garmin G-1000 in them. Im fine with it but think it is a waste. I fly glass at work but really prefer analog gauges. And these planes have GPS and some limited version of TCAS... what happened to knowing how to fly and navigate your aircraft. I had never used a GPS until I became an instructor and never used it. Its rare that the flight schools even keep them current to be used to flying approaches. Heck.. I can count on my hands the amount of times I have actually flown a GPS approach. And the equipment is expensive and that cost gets passed on to the student. The truth is, the airlines could care less what you learned to fly in. But they expect you to know about what you have flown.

Note to all you future airline guys. The airlines DO NOT CARE if you went to some RJ familiarization course at the big training mills. It scores you no points. In fact, it can hinder you if the sim instructor does not teach things properly. You learn wrong and carry that into a job. Don't waste your money on that crap. Just build time and know your aircraft. That is what will land you a job! If you only have money to train in a 172 or an apache, then do it! Just know all about those airplanes when you interview. I have seen guys who came away from a big well known flight school that spent (or borrowed) $80k to learn to fly and utterly blow the interview, technical questions, ATP written, or a combination of the above. And I have seen guys that took 4 years to train part time in a small flight school that no one has heard of walk in an interview well, ace the ATP written sample, and know every detail of the aircraft they flew.

Don't listen to an instructor, they are salesmen. Talk to airline pilots who are working.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Money seems to be the major limiting factor for most people in aviation. I have not rented in years. I called around a few days ago to find out about getting current in single engine aircraft again because I am buying an airplane and have not flown a single engine in probably 10 years. I could not believe some places were charging more than $200 a hour! And that was just for the airplane, the instructor was another $40 an hour. It would be cheaper to find a CFI at Indiana State or Purdue and pay them cash for their time. They make more and I pay less.

And all these airplane have that Garmin G-1000 in them. Im fine with it but think it is a waste. I fly glass at work but really prefer analog gauges. And these planes have GPS and some limited version of TCAS... what happened to knowing how to fly and navigate your aircraft. I had never used a GPS until I became an instructor and never used it. Its rare that the flight schools even keep them current to be used to flying approaches. Heck.. I can count on my hands the amount of times I have actually flown a GPS approach. And the equipment is expensive and that cost gets passed on to the student. The truth is, the airlines could care less what you learned to fly in. But they expect you to know about what you have flown.

Note to all you future airline guys. The airlines DO NOT CARE if you went to some RJ familiarization course at the big training mills. It scores you no points. In fact, it can hinder you if the sim instructor does not teach things properly. You learn wrong and carry that into a job. Don't waste your money on that crap. Just build time and know your aircraft. That is what will land you a job! If you only have money to train in a 172 or an apache, then do it! Just know all about those airplanes when you interview. I have seen guys who came away from a big well known flight school that spent (or borrowed) $80k to learn to fly and utterly blow the interview, technical questions, ATP written, or a combination of the above. And I have seen guys that took 4 years to train part time in a small flight school that no one has heard of walk in an interview well, ace the ATP written sample, and know every detail of the aircraft they flew.

Don't listen to an instructor, they are salesmen. Talk to airline pilots who are working.

That's great advice, coming from someone who makes their living as a commercial pilot! I have also heard of guys spending a lot of money on flight schooling, and not getting anything out of it. I never realized that the airlines just look more for how much you concern yourself with knowing the planes you are flying and understanding all their operations, than just going to some expensive flight school.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    That's great advice, coming from someone who makes their living as a commercial pilot! I have also heard of guys spending a lot of money on flight schooling, and not getting anything out of it. I never realized that the airlines just look more for how much you concern yourself with knowing the planes you are flying and understanding all their operations, than just going to some expensive flight school.

I remember when I interviewed for my first airline job, there were guys in there talking about flying 10 or more different types of aircraft. He boasted 10 hours of Citation time. They did a panel technical interview and did 4 pilots at a time. Ill never forget the look on his face when he could not answer questions about the Citation. He couldn't answers questions about many of the planes he had logged. He looked like an idiot and he knew it. One of the captains told him, in front of everyone, if you don't know about the airplane don't claim it as something you have experience in. Needless to say he never went to the simulator evaluation.

The airlines care about personality, education, health, and knowing your airplanes that you have flown. Thats not to say if you claim 10 hours in something that they will expect you to know all about it. But when you claim 500 hours in a twin and you have trouble explaining the engines or fuel system... that is a serious problem.

The airlines have a whole set of criteria they use. No, it is about MUCH more than how many hours you have in your book or what aircraft/what school you learned to fly in/at.

I can't stand the guys that think going and learning about the RJ's and flying the sim makes them hirable. It MAY make it easier in training for them IF they take it seriously. Many don't though. They are too hooked on flying a jet sim and the possibility of a job that they don't take the time to breathe and learn about what they are flying.

I learned to fly in a Cessna 172. I did my Commercial in a Cessna 182RG and did my multi commercial in a Piper Seminole. All analog gauges. I think one of the 172's I flew had a Garmin GPS with the MFD on it and it had an autopilot as well. When I asked my CFI how to use it he told me to not worry about it and to learn to fly the airplane. And I did it his way. I can still take an E6B out of spin the winds. Some people I work with forget how to use the E6B. You hand them a sectional and they laugh and tell you they use the onboard nav equipment.

Oh well.. learn all you can and ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT. I love my job and every takeoff and landing is as exciting for me as the first. And I mean that.

I pray that my little girl will take an interest in aviation. I would love to share it with her. I love to share it with anyone. Greatest career there is.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I think an E6B is faster than punching buttons on a GPS. I have a handheld Garmin 196, and it is neat and handy and all that. But it's always backed up by the E6B. Batteries just don't die on it, or the charts.

Pilot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Carmel Indiana
    I think an E6B is faster than punching buttons on a GPS. I have a handheld Garmin 196, and it is neat and handy and all that. But it's always backed up by the E6B. Batteries just don't die on it, or the charts.

You are correct. If you learn to use the E6B, it is really quick to do calculations. Much quicker, in my opinion, than using an electronic toy from Sportys. It is something every pilot should be required to maintain proficiency with. I have never had to use it as a backup yet, but I can if I need to.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    So after not handling the controls of any aircraft in 30 years, my daughter and a friend, who just happens to be a CFI fly down in a Piper Archer from Chicago (they both are grad students in that heck hole) and give daddy a nice retirement gift.

First what a dream to see her friend climb out of the right seat and her from the left, my baby. And then her friend asked if I saw the landing, her first!!!

Then it was my turn, and after 30 years it was like riding a bicycle, almost. Take off and climb out were like I have been doing it forever, but after cruising for a few minutes, the nice glass radios /GPS flickered and went out. Then I noticed that moving the trim button didn't do anything. All my years as an A&P and the few years that I flew this was the first time I had seen a total electrical failure. FIRST HAND!

Nice that other than trim, all Piper controls are mechanical, and the engine functions via the magnetos, but landing with no trim was a treat! Man is that elevator heavy on decent, but flaring for landing was like pulling back on a ton of bricks! At least I still remembered how to put it on the ground safely, but would really have preferred everything to be functioning.

When my daughter and friend preflighted the plane the next day to return to school, that little beast Archer came alive like nothing had happened. Was it trying to tell me something???? My daughter called me after landing and told me they had no problems with the electrics at all. Oh well, maybe Mr. Piper was trying to tell me something.

Still, I LOVE FLYING!!!!

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    You are correct. If you learn to use the E6B, it is really quick to do calculations. Much quicker, in my opinion, than using an electronic toy from Sportys. It is something every pilot should be required to maintain proficiency with. I have never had to use it as a backup yet, but I can if I need to.

+1, you should hear the "kids" these days starting out flying G1000 glass.

Top Bottom