• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Feeling sensitive? Where did I say a crossbow "automatically" makes one lose common sense? I believe I specifically said an "overzealous new crossbow hunter". Anyone with too much zeal can be dangerous. A new hunter, even more so. And one with a crossbow will likely have a bolt loaded and ready to fire the instant they see movement. The crossbow is also easier to be quickly proficient with (at least in my opinion), meaning there's a better chance that overzealous newbie will hit you. A hyped-up newbie that bought his compound bow two days ago and still doesn't understand his sights will likely miss his intended target by a mile.

Quit reading into things so much and being so thin-skinned when you do. I have no crossbow hate. I'm glad everyone is allowed the option. I think crossbows and the new bundle tags will add up to a lot more new hunters (which I'm excited about) and a lot more deer being taken (which I also consider a good thing).

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread. My apologies to the OP for the threadjack.

Anyone can make a bad decision regardless of the equipment one has you are assuming that the crossbow would make it more likely for someone with too much "zeal" as you put it to accidentally shoot someone walking thru the woods Im calling bull on this one. Even with a crossbow you still have to align the sight on the target and pull the trigger. You might could make the case that a new hunter could possible make a bad decision but dont throw the equipment into the equation.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Anyone can make a bad decision regardless of the equipment one has you are assuming that the crossbow would make it more likely for someone with too much "zeal" as you put it to accidentally shoot someone walking thru the woods Im calling bull on this one. Even with a crossbow you still have to align the sight on the target and pull the trigger. You might could make the case that a new hunter could possible make a bad decision but dont throw the equipment into the equation.

And what does this have to do with finding squirrels? Try to stick to the topic at hand. If you have a problem with my posts, feel free to PM me or start a new thread on compound bows vs crossbows. I'm done threadjacking and will not respond to you any again in this thread. Btw, welcome to the interweb, where everything you read is true and everyone must agree on everything.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    If you are limited to public land, then I'd hang it up until the deer season is over. Wandering around through a woods not knowing where the deer hunters are and them not knowing where you are at is not something that would make me feel very comfortable.
    Or those Deer hunters can go home until squirrel season is over, all those squirrel hunters out their with their .22s has got to make them feel safe.

Quiet down settle down turn your ears on open your eyes and wait. I can often spot 3-4 just walking the trails when I'm not hunting (I happen to do my hunting with a Canon). The less you disturb the more that will come to you. Also if you settle down and get stationary, you can pick an area with large good safe backstop easier, which will help increase the safety factor with the excitement of finally seeing a squirrel. Not saying that something bad will happen, but it has to others in the past, so to help those smart decisions without the emotion whenever possible is best, IMO. Also if you get frustrated, call it for the day, and remember it's not about taking squirrel it's about enjoying the resources, helping manage them and providing a level of sustenance for yourself and local ecosystems; and in your case, also enjoying some outdoors family time your daughter will be all grown faster than you think; so if you're not enjoying it, don't be afriad to hang it up for the day.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Find a new place. Woods either has squirrels or it doesn't. Methods of squirrel hunting matter too. I usually walk very slowly thru the woods to cover more ground. Stand by a tree for 5-10 minutes, then move up 20 yd to a different tree and repeat. Move quietly and avoid talking more than you have to. Squirrels will see you coming and flatten out on a limb until you've gone by.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    And what does this have to do with finding squirrels? Try to stick to the topic at hand. If you have a problem with my posts, feel free to PM me or start a new thread on compound bows vs crossbows. I'm done threadjacking and will not respond to you any again in this thread. Btw, welcome to the interweb, where everything you read is true and everyone must agree on everything.

What does over zealous crossbow hunters have to do with squirrel:dunno:

Top Bottom