• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I only need enough rounds to scare them away or get away myself. I don't plan on Ana extended gun battle

An "extended gun battle" is usually about 15-20 seconds. It does not take long to burn through a mag in a semi-auto if you're fighting for your life. My take is that if you carry... especially a lower capacity pistol, spends lots of money on ammo and training, especially stress-induced training. It will save your life.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    I understand what the guy is saying. I just don't see me being in a battle for my life like he is talking about. The most I can see me needing is what is in my Glock 36, that would be 7 rounds. I do keep extra mags in the truck and car. So if something goes wrong in the car or truck I will be in better shape.

I would not feel under gunned with a 5 shot revolver. I carried one for years. The Glock 36 is a step up for me. I have been thinking about going to a Ruger 327mag.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    OP, thanks for the article. I had prepared a long post, but decided not to post it. Here's simply a food-for-thought kind of question for everyone:

What kind of risk* analysis do you do to determine if you're going to carry and what you're going to carry?

It's a good exercise for anyone serious about such things. If you do it, be sure to use good data/information because garbage in = garbage out.

Stay safe, and I hope all us good guys have enough gun at hand to counter whatever situation may come your way (however unlikely it may be, because a potential consequence can be death).

* Risk or exposure being defined as a combination of probability (or chance), and the seriousness of the outcome (or consequences). Or, in other words, the product of the probability of a hazard resulting in an adverse event, times the severity of the event.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    There are advantages to J Frames. One being that they do not eject brass. When driving my car, it is nice to know that if I had to defend my family, I don't have to worry about anyone getting hurt by flying brass. Suppose you have a couple kids in the back seat and someone tries to reach in the right side of the car.....

The other advantage is that anyone can pick up a J Frame for the first time and instantly know how to make it work. When my wife or anyone needing to grab something in the house for defense, they do not have to worry about the safety and whether or not a round is chambered.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The photo is misleading. The Glock 26 isn't as small as a J frame, heavier and not suitable for pocket carry. I've carried a handgun for most of my adult life. I've carried them in belt holsters, shoulder holsters, leg holsters, inside the waist holsters, fanny pack holsters and pocket holsters. I've carried everything from a 1911 to a High Standard Derringer. One thing I found out is that most guns are uncomfortable to carry and some are extremely uncomfortable to carry. If it is uncomfortable to carry, I tended to leave it at home or leave it in the car. After a few years, I compromised and decided to carry a S&W 642 for many years with a speed strip. It is a great pocket carry piece because it is comfortable and unobtrusive. I recently switched to a Kahr CM-9 and it also is a great compromise carry gun and is easier to reload than the J frame. I do like my carry pieces with Crimson Trace lasers. I think Mr. Gabe is comparing apples to oranges when he compares a pocket gun (j frame) to a non-pocket pistol (Glock).

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    You couldn't pry a J-frame from my wife's cold, dead fingers. She's tried to rack a semi-auto. She can't. Even a light-springed competition gun. She can shoot a J-frame accurately and isn't afraid to stand her ground with it.

Stopped one home invasion with it when I was out of town.

Any firearm you can shoot accurately is better than a $5000 barbeque gun that you don't really practice with.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    What kind of risk* analysis do you do to determine if you're going to carry and what you're going to carry?

I wake up and put it on...I go to bed and keep it at hand...I take a shower it's within arms reach..Take out garbage at night?? It goes with me...A wolf in charge of protecting his/her family doesn't do a "risk analysis" and then put their teeth in based on what they think may happen that day..It's a daily part of their life and we humans should try to keep the same mind set. IMHO ofcourse..

I have found the J frame to be the most comfortable to always have on me whether in shorts, PJ's, long britches or short...T shirt or dress shirt...I think the Glock has the potential to fill that role (the 26/27 series) with the MIC holster (with the addition of a clip in leiu of the cord...)One of my regulars has been trying it with his 27 and a MIC holster but he keeps going back to his 642 due to the weight of the Glock pulling down the front of some of the clothes he wears and the need for at least a belt loop to secure the cord on the MIC holster.

All offered IMHO lest my comments be construed as "testy" or "religous" in nature...My comments should be construed as one mans opinion who is not a warrior, but just a regular guy trying to get through life one day at a time...

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My parents both have J frames. A Taurus and a Colt 38.
    But they both use a Glock 19 as a primary weapon.

Why? Because its easier to shoot, they can conceal it easily. And it's just a better gun :D

After handling the J frames, I can honestly say I agree with the article. And even if I trained myself to be a lot better with a J frame, I'd still prefer my Glock 26. It's relatively the same size, holds more rounds which is a huge plus. And easier to shoot.
    Plus faster to reload.

I'm far from being an expert. I don't shave my head. I wear jeans. I'm a ginger. I'm handsome. And I agree with the article.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    A simple question: What is your daily driving routine? Your route? How many, if any, stops do you make?

What I mean is this: If your drive to and from work takes you through a 'rough' area of town, maybe a J frame might not be your ideal choice. If your drive takes through a relatively 'safe' area, the J frame may be your ticket.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Any good instructor will tell a student to carry the largest gun they can handle well and shoot accurately.

Rob Pincus has even said nowadays, if you can carry a .380, you can easily carry a 9mm.

If you can carry a J Frame, why not carry a larger gun that's about the same size? Especially when it can hold more rounds?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Any good instructor will tell a student to carry the largest gun they can handle well and shoot accurately.

Rob Pincus has even said nowadays, if you can carry a .380, you can easily carry a 9mm.

If you can carry a J Frame, why not carry a larger gun that's about the same size? Especially when it can hold more rounds?

Good points. Printing keeps me from carrying a large pistol during the warm months when I don't want it OWB, if I am wearing a flannel or anything over my t shirt I can carry my G17 fine. I agree with carrying the largest gun possible. :twocents:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

I disagree. To me, large guns are cumbersome. It is better to have something that is relatively comfortable to carry. That way you will have your gun on you when and if you need it. I can handle and shoot my S&W 629 very well and I shoot it accurately. Would I even consider carrying it for daily personal defense...NO WAY! I do have a minimum caliber that I carry and that is .38 SPL and 9mm. That being said, everyone is different and have different body builds and different tolerances as to comfort. One size doesn't fit all.

P.S. That is a clever tag line. I like it!

Last edited:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

I agree to an extent. For me, being a small frame individual, printing is a major concern when it comes to carrying. I can easily handle and manipulate my glock 26. However, I choose to carry my p238 for the sole reason it doesn't print as easily. Maybe I should rethink my style to include extremely baggy jeans and T-shirts down to my toes.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Well, sometimes a larger gun isn't "about same size" enough, especially when you start comparing revolvers to semi-autos. Even if maximum thickness and length is the same, shape isn't, and the thin barrel of a revolver nestles into the corner of your pocket easier than a semi-auto's slide does. Since the grip doesn't have to worry about a magazine well, its often thinner and more rounded, so again easier to conceal.

Round count is only one consideration in a carry firearm, and often over emphasized.

Top Bottom