When you are only carrying your snubby...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    If I was carrying only a snubby, I would hope to be in a position where I could go for a head shot at close range.
    Of course circumstances would not always permit a head shot.:twocents:

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    I don't carry a snubby often, but when I do carry a speed loader. More often I carry a semi-auto and I ALWAYS carry an extra magazine. My thought is really not about the need for additional ammo, but more so a pack up / alternative if I have a magazine jam.

usaf64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    I carry a .38 special and an LCP. That gives me 12 shots pretty quickly. Sometimes I also carry two speed strips (12 more shots) and an extra magazine for the LCP (6 more shots). I bought a little camera case at Meijer's which I carry the spare stuff in. When I first started carrying about 8 months ago all of this went with me all the time. Since then though, I only carry the camera case rarely. I also carry two knives. My self-defense instructor who was a retired IMPD officer stressed the importance of never giving up in a fight. Snubbies are about as reliable a weapon there is, which is why I bought one. The LCP is a quick way to get "reloaded" and also can be a good way to thwart a robber. I carry it in my back pocket. If he wants my "wallet" I can produce it, take a step to the side and stop the threat.

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    I also carry sp101 snubby always have one speedloader when i put it in my pocket,when using shoulder holster i have 2 speed loader pouches .

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Not really a revolver guy, but if I were, I would think to get a speed loader. But it depends on what I am wearing

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My "snubby" is a little more at 3", yet still it takes a LOT of practice to be proficient with it. :rolleyes: I carry two speed strips which are terribly slow to load, but I have them and they lay flat in my pockets. One cylinder sticking out from my body is all that I can tolerate.

I would strongly suggest to anyone that carries a "snubby" as their primary weapon to take a SD pistol class with it to get a firm understanding of what it will and will not do and what they can and can not do.

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Do you carry a reload of some kind? i.e. speedloader, speed srip, a couple loose rounds

I know from reading, that in most self defense situations there are not too many rounds fired. Snubbies hold 5, subcompact 9's hold 6 or 7 and 1911 hold 7 or 8, so I was curious if a reload for a snubby is a good idea?
    I carry 1.:cool:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Yes...

roscoechair.jpg

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Not usually. Speedloader in the truck. I don't carry a second magazine regularly either if I'm carrying an auto. LCR is my winter carry in my coat, PPS in the summer. Neither carries many rounds but both are light and unobtrusive. Adding a second magazine/load makes it less so.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Lots of good reasons given in the thread so far, for carrying a reload.

…I know from reading, that in most self-defense situations there are not too many rounds fired. …

Really? What are you reading? When was the data collected? Could be older information.

… Studies have shown that sometimes it takes 5 shots. Others have shown that it took 10. ...

In addition to the other good points lovemachine makes (and others in the thread), this is getting closer to what I think is a good "number” in our modern context. The number of rounds fired has risen a bit over the last 25 yrs for at least two reasons: 1) the shift to semi autos (although this didn’t affect the avg as much as you might think), and 2) changes in tactics/training (more effective tactics I might add) that favor a more active defense.

Based on the most recent interpretation of the data I’ve seen, the avg number of rounds fired is about EIGHT (8) [1]. Keep in mind this is the current average. It’s not extreme. It’s not preparing for the worst situation that might come along. It’s average. Furthermore, it’s an average in the context of police use of service calibers. I’m not sure we’d get the same number if we collected data for civilian use and/or smaller calibers like .380acp, .32acp, etc., but we've got to base our decisions on something.

Ergo, I try to never carry a primary handgun with a capacity less than 8, unless there’s some kind of odd limiting circumstance, and always carry at least 1 reload for my primary (usually 2). I want to be able to cycle through a minimum of 8 rounds before having to do any sort of reload. Just happens to be the way the dynamics of such fights seem work out.

In the semi-auto context, ammo and mag malfunctions rank right up there with the most likely things that can go wrong. So, you need the spares as a quick way to fix things. In the revolver context, you may simply need more ammo than the typical cylinder carries.

But hey, people do their own risk analysis and make a decision based on that process (I hope). Just consider that the capacity of a small framed snubbie may be less than the average number of rounds required in a gun fight, and there are lots of factors that will tend to bump that number up.

[1] - John Farnam - Enough Ammunition

Last edited:

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I am back to carrying a wheel gun a lot these days. A Ruger Speed Six 357 with 2 3/4 barrel or a Taurus Model 85 UL that was my back up when I was on the job. I would never leave the house carrying a wheel gun without a speed strip in my strong side pocket. IMHO this is primarily for a reload after a confrontation, the same as an admin reload.

If I was carrying a single stack auto, a spare mag would be primarily for more ammo. With a high cap pistol it would be to remedy a tumbled magazine.- George

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    This doesn't apply to snubbies but I usually carry two spare mags for my M&P Shield. With a semi-auto, you never know when you'll get a double feed or something and need to strip mag out to clear the malfunction. Easier to drop that mag and get a fresh one than have to grab that one off the ground and put it back in.

Top Bottom