When to remove a tree before building a pool?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We plan to put in a pool in a few years and there are four trees right in the middle of where we want the pool. It's also a shallow spot that holds water so they help dry it up.

My question is how far in advance should I cut the trees down? I don't want active roots around an inground pool and i'm not sure how long it'll take to truly kill the root system.

1246B170-F9BA-44C8-9AE6-16248A770838-9272-00000700AEEA3921_zps646091f3.jpg

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Without chemical intervention it can take many YEARS to kill the root system. We still have American Chestnut trees in our forests because they root-sprout and grow long enough to keep the root system alive before the blight (which affects mature chestnut) kills them.

Before you cut them down inject them with Tordon or similar and let it permeate the root system for a few weeks (late summer is best, that's when trees are storing). That'll ensure a thorough kill and you should be fine with the site without waiting.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Hey Doc when you're ready to dig that pool I'll call the FBI and tell them that Hoffa's buried in your backyard! That should ge the excavation done for cheap!!!

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    You will be fine if you remove them just prior to excavation as the roots need sunlight to grow and they are below ground and thus won't grow and rot out eventually.

wlkjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Whatever you do don't plant any kind of shrubs anywhere near the area. I made the mistake of planting some Redtips and then later after pulling them up with a tractor, replanted some kind of shrub. Big mistake. I have several roots running under my liner and one has about a 2 inch diameter knot on it. My wife only married me for the pool so I'm doomed when it goes.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Take an ax or chainsaw and wound all the trees you want dead. (1 foot off the ground) Immediately after wounding the trees brush roundup into the wounds. Those trees will start turning their leaves yellow in 2-3 weeks. Dead in a month or 2.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    You want to put an in-ground pool at the lowest point in your yard, that is used as a retention area? I hope you have a lot of dirt coming in....

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You want to put an in-ground pool at the lowest point in your yard, that is used as a retention area? I hope you have a lot of dirt coming in....

I'm hoping the hole is enough dirt to fix the drainage issues. It will be a great time to fix it regardless and will be part of the bid.

Top Bottom