• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Obviously, you need to be aware of your surroundings and what's behind your target, but what if someone breaks into my house, as I'm shooting at the bg one of my rounds goes through the window and hits a bystandard. What happens in that situation?

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Obviously, you need to be aware of your surroundings and what's behind your target, but what if someone breaks into my house, as I'm shooting at the bg one of my rounds goes through the window and hits a bystandard. What happens in that situation?

What happens in that situation is that lots of bad things happen, and many of them happen to you.

Generally speaking, you are responsible for every bullet you shoot.

What was behind your target in your hypothetical? Something that wouldn't stop a bullet, obviously.

In a home defense situation, you have to be concerned about overpenetration-walls, window, door, whatever.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What happens in that situation is that lots of bad things happen, and many of them happen to you.

Generally speaking, you are responsible for every bullet you shoot.

What was behind your target in your hypothetical? Something that wouldn't stop a bullet, obviously.

In a home defense situation, you have to be concerned about overpenetration-walls, window, door, whatever.

On the plus side, the criminal will likely be the one ultimately at fault. Your self-defense actions precipitated from their criminal act.

In the meantime, life will be pretty busy for you. There is another thread on here about the cost of a self-defense shooting. It will suck, but at least you lived through it!

Another reason why training is so important. You can't know everything in advance. Buy, you can be prepared and minimize the risk to yourself and those around you.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think we're getting hung up on some acronyms at time and making this whole thing more complicated than it needs to be.

First- "CCW", last time I checked meant "Concealed Carry Weapon". It is a weapon that is carried concealed. It is not a type pf permit or license in Indiana. It's just a weapon. Other places have a "CCW Permit" or "CCW License".

Second, in Indiana, we have a "License to Carry a handgun" or "LTCH". With the license, you may carry a handgun, concealed or open is a matter of personal preference, not legality.

We do not have a law about "brandishing" in Indiana...but we do have a law about "pointing".

35-47-4-3. Pointing a firearm.

(a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:

(1) IC 35-41-3-2; or

(2) IC 35-41-3-3.

(b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.

Burns Ind. Code Ann. § 35-47-4-3

Essentially what the statute does is make pointing a gun at someone a crime unless you were pointing in under conditions where the use of deadly force is justified.

When to use deadly force? The laws are set forth in other posts. How I operate is this: if I reasonably fear for my life or that of another, I will consider exercising deadly force. I will not draw or point unless I believe that such a situation is arising imminently.

Last edited:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Is your question even a serious one?
    Can I draw my weapon because I don't like the way they are staring at me?
    Really?
    How do you deduce the intentions behind their glare?
    If you walk by me and I narrow my eyes and clench my jaw and fist, you would unholster?

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Is your question even a serious one?
    Can I draw my weapon because I don't like the way they are staring at me?
    Really?
    How do you deduce the intentions behind their glare?
    If you walk by me and I narrow my eyes and clench my jaw and fist, you would unholster?

No, I was not being serious. I'm was just trying to see where the line is.

Top Bottom