• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    So I'm waiting for my ccw and its gonna be awhile, but I would like to know when it's legal to use your edc. (I don't even know what edc stands for lol)

Like obviously if you are being attacked at gun/knife point, but what if somebody twice your size looks like he's gonna attack you. Isn't it illegal to brandish your weapon? If this has been discussed, point me inthe right direction.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you are from Indiana you will get a LTCH (Licence To Carry a Handgun) you can either open carry or conceal carry so no such a thing as "CCW" in Indiana.
    No such a thing as brandishing in Indiana either as open carry is legal.
    EDC = Every Day Carry, can be anything from a gun to a watch or a pencil that you carry on your person everyday.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    If you are from Indiana you will get a LTCH (Licence To Carry a Handgun) you can either open carry or conceal carry so no such a thing as "CCW" in Indiana.
    No such a thing as brandishing in Indiana either as open carry is legal.
    EDC = Every Day Carry, can be anything from a gun to a watch or a pencil that you carry on your person everyday.

So if someone is looking at me in a threatening manner , I can pull my gun out to change their attitude? That can't be right. :draw:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    So I'm waiting for my ccw and its gonna be awhile, but I would like to know when it's legal to use your edc.

The gun doesn't mean you're a hero , so don't try to act like one , call the cops .

The license isn't a license to be a jerk , you have to be ready to take more crap than normal if you're gonna carry .

Remember , there's a prosecutor behind every bullet .

Don't hang out with stupid folks doing stupid things if you're gonna carry .

Remove yourself from a bad situation if you can , then call the cops .

Somebody will probably post the actual codes but it's pretty much common sense .

If you're being attacked by someone with a weapon ,

if you witness someone being attacked with a weapon (better think hard before you get involved though) call the cops ,

if you're in your home and someone breaks in and if your in your car when someone tries to jack you .

Take some of the courses offered about IN. gun laws and you'll have a better understanding of when and how to defend yourself .

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Sylvan said nothing about that, but is first trying to correct several of your misconceptions regarding CCW (we have no "concealed carry" license, once licensed you can carry any way you wish), and "brandishing" (there is no such Indiana law).

As to your question, here's the Indiana Code on the matter is around IC 35-41-3. See below:

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar41/ch3.pdf

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Ok obviously I'm off on my terminology. I know that there's no ccw, so we can open carry. So because of that, we can brandish our weapon, because it would be considered open. I've just read online that in some states it's illegal to point your gun at a bg if you don't use it.

And thanks for posting the exact laws. I've read those before but it's a little hard to interpret sometimes. Is there a cliff notes version?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Good for you for thinking ahead and asking questions. I would suggest reading up on the subject while you wait for the LTCH to arrive. You can't go wrong with anything written by Massad Ayoob. He has several excellent books. I would also suggest following up with some training. There are several folks / threads here that can help in that regard.

And to touch on your other question, I certainly would not recommend pulling a weapon on anyone simply for looking at you, no matter how threatening they may appear.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    Good for you for thinking ahead and asking questions. I would suggest reading up on the subject while you wait for the LTCH to arrive. You can't go wrong with anything written by Massad Ayoob. He has several excellent books. I would also suggest following up with some training. There are several folks / threads here that can help in that regard.

And to touch on your other question, I certainly would not recommend pulling a weapon on anyone simply for looking at you, no matter how threatening they may appear.

Well I was being facetious. :). I'm just trying to get an idea of what's acceptable and what's not. I've been doing a lot of reading. And I have a retired marine training me for about 2-3 hours a week right now.

guncakes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    For a quick answer, no, it is not illegal to have your gun out and at the ready. POINTING your gun at someone, however, might land you in murky legal waters.

Take a few defensive pistol classes. I bet your Marine friend/family member might enjoy one too!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    For a quick answer, no, it is not illegal to have your gun out and at the ready. POINTING your gun at someone, however, might land you in murky legal waters.

Take a few defensive pistol classes. I bet your Marine friend/family member might enjoy one too!

IC 35-47-4-3
    Pointing firearm at another person
    Sec. 3. (a) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting within the scope of the law enforcement officer's official duties or to a person who is justified in using reasonable force against another person under:
    (1) IC 35-41-3-2; or
    (2) IC 35-41-3-3.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally points a firearm at another person commits a Class D felony. However, the offense is a Class A misdemeanor if the firearm was not loaded.

Not only it's illegal but it could also get you killed if you're the one threatening people with a gun for no reason.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Cliff notes:

You can defend yourself or a 3rd party against the threat of serious bodily harm or a forcible felony.

You can defend your home against unlawful entry.

You can defend your occupied vehicle against unlawful entry (car jacking).

You still cannot threaten, intimidate, or point a gun (loaded or not) at another person, other than for the above. The word "brandishing" does not exist in IC.

You can carry concealed, open, or duct taped to your head (for all I care).

If you want the detail, either read the IC (posted already), get the book (posted already), or take Guy's class.

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    I am not a lawyer and the following is my semi-informed opinion.

You can use your gun if you are able to articulate a reasonable fear for your life or serious bodily injury. You may also use your gun to protect someone else from being killed or seriously injured. I used the word articulate, because you will have to defend your actions if you use your gun.

There was some good advice about having to be more careful when you carry. You can't get involved in altercations, road rage incidents, or arguments with unstable people. If there is evidence that you contributed in a negative way to the events leading up to having to use your gun, you're going to have problems. Be mature, ignore non-threatening verbal attacks, don't get involved in the domestic disputes of strangers.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    sorry to tell you this but your friends marine training won't be applicable in a civillian situation, its usefulness would be minimal from my understanding.

Last edited:

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    If you're in the Indianapolis area, you can look into Guy Relford's class, "Comprehensive Indiana Gun Laws."

Tactical Firearms Training, LLC

The next one is offered Aug 10th.

My advice to you is to take this class, if you can.

You really want to have a good understanding of the laws regarding handgun carry in general (where it is legal, where it is not) and justifiable use of deadly force, and Guy's class is good way to get it.

Welcome to the forum!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Cliff notes:

You can defend yourself or a 3rd party against the threat of serious bodily harm or a forcible felony.

You can defend your home against unlawful entry.

You can defend your occupied vehicle against unlawful entry (car jacking).

You still cannot threaten, intimidate, or point a gun (loaded or not) at another person, other than for the above. The word "brandishing" does not exist in IC.

You can carry concealed, open, or duct taped to your head (for all I care).

If you want the detail, either read the IC (posted already), get the book (posted already), or take Guy's class.
    /thread

Top Bottom