• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    This thread is making me think maybe I should opt for something smaller than a FS S&W 9. Maybe a Walther PPK/S? I guess I need to think about whether I would carry more if the gun was lighter and easier to carry or not.

Feedback, opinions appreciated.

A quality belt and holster can do magical things. I carry a FS M&P daily and don't even notice it's there.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A quality belt and holster can do magical things. I carry a FS M&P daily and don't even notice it's there.

It appears the concensus is the pistol will carry fine once I find a good holster. Already have the belt. I have a Kydex OWB holster and it's okay for range duty, but it really isn't comfortable for EDC.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Like many, I tried to go cheap at every step. Cheap gun, dress belt, nylon holster. Then I'd buy another cheap gun, and another cheap nylon holster. I kept telling myself I could not afford the quality stuff all the while spending the same amount on a mountain of cheap stuff. I'd go through 4 $25 holsters because the $80 holster was too expensive for me.

There is a lot of hard learned lessons in the phrase 'Buy quality, cry once. Buy cheap and cry every day'.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I did ok when I first got my LTCH in the 1980's. I bought a ruger mark II as my first handgun and learned to shoot it fairly
    well for cheap. Second gun a smith and Wesson model 60 in a jacket pocket and it worked well all fall and winter. Them since I had a 38 I figured that a 38 cal two shot cheap ass derringer would be a good spring summer carry. First shot and it almost flew out of my hand. Federal hydro shock +p and a itty bitty pistol with wood grips is not a wise choice.

I got the bren ten miami vice fever and with a jackass holster I learned that good leather was great idea. I drove 65% of the work day plus drive home back then and the shoulder holster is wonderful for that. The Bren ten was not so good. Jam o magic for sure and the new mags never came in when I ordered them. Was made and offer I could no refuse and sold it off. (Now worth a small fortune) got the Miami vice holster for the model 60 and a Galco model 60 OWB and did that for years. Switched up to model 66 2 inch when the weather was colder.

ONever reAlly got over the revolver for carry. Had Glocks 1911 and high power just felt better with smaller revolver. I shoot them much better. Makes one feel good even at the range when I can hit two to the chest and one above the vest at 20 yards with the little revolver.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Yep. I got a lot of these all rolled into one.

I carried with an empty chamber. In a nylon Uncle Crap's holster.

It was a lightweight snub-nosed revolver.
    Because a man said to.

I have since smarted up. :):

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I was carrying "mexican" about 5:30ish, minding my own business walking out of K-Mart, when something didn't feel right. Then I feel my glock start slipping. (I was in the middle of the entryway, with people everywhere.) Before I could reach back to catch it, down my pant leg it went. I was quick enough to catch it, before it hit the ground. (palmed it) I put it in the inside pocket of the jacket I was wearing and just kept walking. I went out and got a Don Hume IWB the next day, and still have it and use it frequently.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I am still in the 'doing it wrong' phase as I try to figure out what works for me. Mikes soft, regular belt, M&P9c w/ spare FS mag. A gun belt has been next on my list for too long. On order is an Ares Ranger belt (finally) from LaRue.
    I have an alien gear holster I've yet to use very much as I need bigger pants :(

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I carried empty chamber in the small of my back with a versacarry on a crappy belt. I was on INGO so as soon as I had the $ I was purchasing new gear based on info I learned here.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ok, I didn't read this entire thread, so the dupe police might come and take me away.

When I first started carrying IWB, I thought that every time I sat down or bent over, the gun was going to go off.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    YEEEAAARRS ago I had one of those ordinary leather belts:n00b: and thought it was secure and solid.
    That's when it happened,
    I was shopping with the wife when my belt popped and my pistol drops along my pants leg and spins in a little 720 before stopping. "in slow motion of course"

There were at least 9 people in the Aisle, kids and all,
    and no one seen it as I scrammed to recover it.

Never again.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I started carrying at 18 and a few weeks old. Not for the rght reasons. I thought I was tough. A hard ass. It wasnt about the ability to defend myself. Or my family. I was blinded by the cool factor. Always doing the elbow bump to make sure its right there. Wearing that light jacket in 70 degree weather. Blah blah. And then I opened my eyes. After training, I saw why I really wanted to carry. To protect myself. Not to intimidate. Not to be a vigilante. Just to make sure I make it home to my family and have the capability to make sure they are ok as well.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    1.)I did carry without one in the chamber for a couple weeks.
    2.)I was another fobus OWB dummy.
    3.)Didn't get a proper belt for awhile after getting a good IWB holster. Now I want like 3 more in
    different styles.
    4.) One day at the range I had my gun field stripped and put in back together and forgot to put the takedown
    lever back to "home" position. Yep, you guessed it, stainless xdm slide into the rocks 5 feet in front of me!:n00b::facepalm::puke:
    Light damage, heavy frustration. :xmad:

Top Bottom