When/how does technology get "in your way"??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Nice having all this stuff but ever have those moments when you are "using" technology and find out its actually an impediment? Might not be the technologies fault, but rather our thought processes but still....

For example, I still catch myself doing the following...

Prior to technology, look up a business in phone book, call around to find out hours. 5 minutes I could have 5 different sets of store hours and go look at things.

Now, spend 5 minutes finding a single stores hours on review sites because not every business has a web presence that announces them. Still have shown up and they were closed that day.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Oh, where do I start.

I work for a large technology software and services organization. We can't get out of our own way half the time.

Moved to VOIP. Pretty darned slick... when it works. When it is down, the WHOLE FLIPPING COMPANY IS DOWN.

Mandatory use of SharePoint. Pretty flipping awesome. But, some departments make it look like a 1990's website - less than worthless. The old "sneakernet" is more efficient when you need something.

And I HATE cell phone. Spotty service, terrible quality, and we DEPEND on them.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I personally don't see technology as a replacement for existing processes, I see it as an aid. Like you said, calling is easier to find out store hours and I agree. But what happens when you call and you're put on hold or on voicemail? That's when technology is useful. Find what works for you, and then determine if technology can help and make you more efficient. Instead of replacing everything with technology.

Its possible none of that made sense...

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I own and run an IT consulting company and still go to meetings with perspective clients with printed copies of our marketing materials and a pad/pen to write everything down. Some things are just better old-school.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Brand new 2015 Semi truck with less than 75,000 miles on it. A bad sensor in the emissions system will shut down the engine....no mater where you are......like on 294 in Chicago during rush hour...on a Friday. It shuts the motor down so "The faulty system won't damage the motor."

But when anot her loaded semi reared you, I guess the motor will still be good!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh, where do I start.

I work for a large technology software and services organization. We can't get out of our own way half the time.

Moved to VOIP. Pretty darned slick... when it works. When it is down, the WHOLE FLIPPING COMPANY IS DOWN.

Mandatory use of SharePoint. Pretty flipping awesome. But, some departments make it look like a 1990's website - less than worthless. The old "sneakernet" is more efficient when you need something.

And I HATE cell phone. Spotty service, terrible quality, and we DEPEND on them.

We're in the process of going to Sharepoint. I think Sharepoint was made for people that don't understand email and shared network drives personally. It was foisted on us by some wet-behind-the-ears college kids, no doubt.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    We're in the process of going to Sharepoint. I think Sharepoint was made for people that don't understand email and shared network drives personally. It was foisted on us by some wet-behind-the-ears college kids, no doubt.

I don't doubt that. We hear from clients quite often "Should we go to Sharepoint?" We ask, "What's your goal?" They say, "We want to collaborate...."

Then we dive in deeper and figure out what they really want and recommend a good solution.

Sharepoint is sometimes a solution without a problem.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Passwords and usernames....
    Whoever installed the gear sets up the login credentials.
    No rhyme or reason behind them, none are written down.
    Most of the time I can use my bosses dog's name and it will work

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't doubt that. We hear from clients quite often "Should we go to Sharepoint?" We ask, "What's your goal?" They say, "We want to collaborate...."

Then we dive in deeper and figure out what they really want and recommend a good solution.

Sharepoint is sometimes a solution without a problem.

In our case I think it is. We have 3 different documentation (govt. work) software platforms too and they all basically do the same thing, but all are "required". I blame that on some software salesman bending the right ear and convincing them that we "needed" it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    When does tech get in the way?

When people forget how to make change without the cash register.
    When people forget how to find places without a GPS.

Top Bottom