When did you give your child their first gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    We're supposed to GIVE them a gun? Huh, who knew? My son and my son-in-law are both 27. Neither one is mature enough or has a long enough attention span to own a gun. They're good kids, they just get distracted a bit to easily.

MacEoghan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013
    Franklin
    I don't have any kids of my own, but I remember my dad gave me my first bb gun around 6 or 7. Then a shotgun (I believe 10 gauge) around 10. Just thinking about it makes me remember trips down to the cabin. Good times!

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I don't have any kids of my own, but I remember my dad gave me my first bb gun around 6 or 7. Then a shotgun (I believe 10 gauge) around 10. Just thinking about it makes me remember trips down to the cabin. Good times!

Your dad gave you a 10 gauge, when you were 10 years old?

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I've taken kiddos to the range discussed safety and rules. I however, have yet to give them one. The oldest is not mature enough to own one. #2 just got an LC9 once she/we takes 2 firearm classes she may take it...and so on. I have six were in no hurry and know this is a huge responsibility which I take very seriously. They know we can go out shooting anytime and the firearms are there. The age will vary, guns are more of a guy thing. When your daughter gets ahold of one for the first time it is an awsome feeling.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    At what age you let a kid have a gun mainly depends on the kid.
    Everybody has their own temperament, and matures and develops judgement at their own rate.

For example, I have a friend who had a son who by 8th grade was able to safely handle a 22-250 rifle on his own.
    On the flip side, my nephew who was in this same boy's class in school was a hothead as a kid and had no business with a gun until his 20's when he finally grew up.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Don't think age has much to do with it. It isn't like you are handing your child a firearm and saying this is yours, and letting her have it. Due to economics (I was broke while raising 6 children - his, hers and ours) I didn't purchase firearms for my boys until they were in their early teens. However they had shot mine (under my supervision) many times before that. Purchasing a Cricket or similar rifle that fits their stature is certainly better than the way I started, and the way I taught my sons and grandsons.

I remember I was allowed to fire firearms - my BIL taught me - at a fairly early age. I was probably 7 or 8 when I fired HIS rifle, shot handguns and shotguns before I was 10. By the time I was 14 or so I was hunting squirrel alone with a 22 a family friend loaned me. I had my Grandchildren shooting when they were 8 or 9. Started them with a 22 rifle, soon they were begging to shoot my SKS, shotgun and muzzle loader. They did shoot them before they were 10 (after repeated warnings that they would "kick and hurt". They didn't want to shoot them so bad after the first time but a month or so later they were again excited to do it again. They shot several of my handguns without any issues around the same time - all this was done in my son's back yard (country house).

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    My son recieved a 10/22 this year for his 10th birthday and my 8yr old daughter got a Colt/Walther .22 this year also. Once they have the mental ability to understand and memorize the safety rules and physical ability to handle the weapon is the right time. Just varies from child to child. Their guns stay locked up in the safe but they can see, clean or shoot whenever they want but that goes for all the house guns (as far as seeing). It makes them less curious and opens up discussion easier if they know Im willing teach them. We always go over the safety before they come out though regardless if we are shooting or just looking.

DGansert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I gave my son his first firearm at 14, a Remington 870 youth 20 gauge. He learned how to safely handle and shoot from being a 12 year old Boy Scout, along with my guidance as a Scout Leader and NRA Instructor.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I got my first "gun" at 4: a daisy bb gun, at 8 I got my first real gun: a .22 Nylon 66 clone. I don't have children of my own but my own experience says that it made me more responsible especially compared to my friends at the time mainly because if I was irresponsible dad would have taken my gun away no questions asked. I have nephews now who are 8 and 10 years old and physically would have no problems with a youth size rifle. They unfortunately are nowhere near ready for guns mentally. I would say you know your child and if you think she's ready then get her shooting and enjoy it. Hopefully it will be a lifelong hobby for you and her.

Slider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Brownsburg
    My daughter is 4, and every time we go to Gander Mountain or Dick's, she looks at the Pink Cricket and Says "Hey Daddy, There is my gun." While pointing at the little pink rifle. I always tell her when she gets a little older, I will get it for her. I don't think she is ready for one just yet. So in my opinion, it is up to the parent....and when they KNOW their child is ready. It is a lot of responsibility to teach a child to handle a firearm.......just train them right and make sure they are ready to respect any firearm they touch.

Top Bottom