• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My father bought me a Glenfield Marlin 25 back in around 1976. I had a BB gun at the time that was getting me in trouble, so he bought the .22 to teach me how to safely handle a real gun. I still have that gun and I still love shooting the thing.

devious169

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Earth and you?
    I was eight, mom got me and my brother a pair of marlin's. There wasn't a bird in sight that was safe. I went and bought my eldest son ( 10 ) his first rifle 2 years ago 10/22 with a stainless spiral forged target barrel. And the boy can shoot it better than me. I think I'm going to start doing some volquartsen upgrades to it if ammo ever becomes available.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    Never owned one, just used my dad's late 40's model 52.Still the smoothest shooting rifle I've ever shot. My three sons learned to shoot on the same gun, and my dad still has it.

My late mother gave me my first "real" gun(non BB) I ever owned, an S&W
    66-1. I was lucky, in my family everyone shot.

Blown71X

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Boone County
    When I was around 7-8, late 30`s vintage Model 72 Winchester that my Dad had gotten from his Dad.
    Still have it to this day.
    Grew up on a farm and Training was of the common sense variety.

Rick

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    First rifle (.22 Marlin bolt action) 1st grade.
    First handgun (.22mag Ruger Single Six) 5th grade.
    Pops did safety class upstairs with a Colt revolver and CCI primer fired .38 special case w plastic pellets.
    Got real guns, toy guns went bye bye. No fear of police or law, a safety violation would have meant getting beaten into a coma (or worse).
    Guns kept in my room too.

As a kid I understood "absolutes".

Unfortunately that type of thinking isn't too popular today.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I grew up in a gun-free household due to an uncle getting killed in a deer hunting accident. Cap guns and a BB gun was all I was allowed to have.

I got my first .22LR rifle when I was 65 (!!!) years old. [Late bloomer...]

And the first time I fired a rifle was in basic training at Fort Lost in the Woods, Misery, in 1965.

Never too late to get involved!

mattritchie238

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    I got my first .22 bolt action Savage for my 11th birthday. My dad has always stood by his views of knowledge over curiosity when it comes to firearms safety in young shooters. He has been a LEO since I was born and I grew up with guns in the house and he thought it was a good idea to educate my sister and I before our curiosity could come into play. I guess the moral of the story is a little education concerning firearms can save a life that ignorant curiosity could jeopardize.

Hope this helps!

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    This year. I'm 39.
    Dad has a lever that I don't know who makes. We only shot that every once in a while.
    My first gun was a single .410, at the age of 10 and then a Win. 30-30 at 14.
    My kids shot shotguns before they shot anything else. Then on to my 30-30. Now that I have 2 .22lr's, they practice with them.

Niles Coyote

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2013
    S.W. Michigan
    Growing up in a different time... firearms were ondisplay in my parents’ house and most of my friend’s houses so my exposure wasearly.

My questions are: If you grew up around guns what kind ofeducation did your parents implement? When did you shoot for the 1st time? Whendid you get your 1st .22 rifle?

When dad went outside to shoot I followed with my toy gunand we shot together, probably around 6-7 I got to lay down behind his oldmarlin 22 while he guided my every step. He hunted and trapped (back whentrapping was profitable) and I followed. So I guess you could say I learned firsthandhow much fun they can be but also what their purpose is in the real world...

My first 22 was purchased from service merchandise (anyoneremember them?) and was a ruger 10/22, think I was around 10-11 at the time.

Now as a father, I thought my daughter on a daisy buck BBrifle when she was young, latter a henry single shot 22 was she turned 8-9. Shehas never been a gun girl but whenever she wanted to shoot we would go out andshoot. I put her through hunter’s safety and at age 10-11 signed her up for ajunior marksmanship class at our local range.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I got my first .22 bolt action Savage for my 11th birthday. My dad has always stood by his views of knowledge over curiosity when it comes to firearms safety in young shooters. He has been a LEO since I was born and I grew up with guns in the house and he thought it was a good idea to educate my sister and I before our curiosity could come into play. I guess the moral of the story is a little education concerning firearms can save a life that ignorant curiosity could jeopardize.

Hope this helps!

Dang, I got a lump in my throat just now...I guess you WERE listening! I'm proud of you, Bud!

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Shot my first .22 in 1948, older brother had bought a Winchester 52B, I have it now all orginal with all sights etc. Only missing the orginal leather sling and the box it came in, still have the Lyman target spot scope he puty on it.

My first gun? 3 years later 1951, used Stevens Favorite, .22 cal. it brought home alot of squirrels for the pot. Yup, I was raised on the edge of town, sorta in the country. It was a whole different world back then.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    My parents had firearms in our home since I was old enough to remember. I spent every summer on my grandparents 120 acre farm and they always had firearms. They were just another tool around the farm. My grandfather was a WW II veteran and he taught me to use a rifle with a common sense approach to safety. It was no different than when he taught me to drive the tractor or run a chainsaw. Was probably around 8 years old when I started shooting grandpa's Remington single shot .22 rifle. That was around 1979. My brother owns the rifle today. When I was 12, grandpa let me take his Essex Arms 12 gauge double barrel hammer gun to the woods squirrel hunting. Said if I was big enough to carry it, then I was big enough to take it out. Pocket full of #6's and I was on my way. (This still blows my wife's mind to this day. Said there is no way in h*ll she would have let our kids do that) I own that Essex today. (my great grandfather traded a pig for that shotgun)

When I was 12 years old (1983) I found a Springfield (Stevens) 84C bolt action, magazine fed .22 rifle under the Christmas tree. Still in the gun safe today.
    I bought my daughter a Cricket .22 when she was 10. Five years later I bought her a month old Mossberg 702 Plinkster for $40 and passed the Cricket down to my son. He is now 14 and owns more .22 rifles than I do, thanks to his uncle. :):

danmrt868

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I was 9yrs old moved to south dakota and lived in the country with 100's of acre's of woods spent alot of time in the woods by myself having a great time. My son is 8yrs old and has his first rifle 22lr/20g combo. He saved his own money for it. Plan on getting him a henry lever action for his 10th birthday. I have never met a boy that can tell you what a rifle is by sight so quick.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom