• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Fred went through D Day with that 1911. He should be buried with it if he wants to, no matter what free American state he lives in. If a politician wants to argue, ask him why he does not speak German.

My grandpa died in the 50's, well before I was even born. He was in the Navy during WWII and had a 1903 Colt from his service. My grandma did not want a gun in the house so she sold it in an auction to a local banker. A few years ago that local banker came to my older brother and gave him the Colt. He was getting older and did not want someone else to get it if he passed away since he knew the history behind the gun. He kept it in pristine condition, just holding it gave me chills.
    What a great story. Apparently there are still some old school gentlemen left in this world. I would have to put my money in that man's bank.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fred dies and a couple of old timer scheisters swoop down and circle the widow until she sells the collection for pennies on the dollar.
    Seen it way too many times, often by the same POS guys.
    Special place in Hades for them, proly at the devil's Taurus repair bench ;)

Usually it is the buddies of the dead guy trying to get some bargains by "helping the widow".

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Usually it is the buddies of the dead guy trying to get some bargains by "helping the widow".

When Dad was in his late 60's, he had several friends who got sick or suddenly died with large gun collections. Before the vultures swooped it, he would talk to the wives and get a list of the guns and ammo they had. He had me do the research and figure out the market prices for the stuff. He would give the updated list back to the wives, so they had an idea of what to ask for. Many times, the wives had Dad sell the guns for them. I would help list them in the Trader-Paper. He always got a big kick out of handing the wife or widow a big wad of cash when we were done.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    When Dad was in his late 60's, he had several friends who got sick or suddenly died with large gun collections. Before the vultures swooped it, he would talk to the wives and get a list of the guns and ammo they had. He had me do the research and figure out the market prices for the stuff. He would give the updated list back to the wives, so they had an idea of what to ask for. Many times, the wives had Dad sell the guns for them. I would help list them in the Trader-Paper. He always got a big kick out of handing the wife or widow a big wad of cash when we were done.

As we found with that guy from Greenfield who died owning about a million dollars in guns plus ammo, that auctions seem to be able to get top dollar. Far better than a gun store would give. Maybe we need to do some combined auctions so as to a large sale.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Upon death, the ownership of the firearm transfers automaticly to next of kin. If she chooses to honor his wishes and places it in his casket before the funeral directors lock the casket closed, then that's for her to do with her property.

110% legal.

I don't know where you get your citations for "automatic" reversion to the wife. That is not correct.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    As we found with that guy from Greenfield who died owning about a million dollars in guns plus ammo, that auctions seem to be able to get top dollar. Far better than a gun store would give. Maybe we need to do some combined auctions so as to a large sale.

Dad did it out of respect for his Lodge buddies and partners from the police department. He passed last year. I ended up selling most of his little collection to pay back taxes. I did keep his Colt Official Police .38 revolver, that he carried when he was a motorcycle cop in Dayton.

My wife has an updated list of my collection with current prices. She also has the names of a couple of buddies who she can trust.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    what a copout? Did he ever cash it LOL

Well that would quickly unbalance a checkbook!

Better than the guy I ran into at Walmart a few weeks ago looking for .308 ammo for the small handgun his brother left him when his brother died. Yes I did set him straight.

I'm curious, what "small handgun" shoots a .308 round? ;)

2100lko.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We buried some valuables with my dad when he past. I put them in the casket and watched it be closed and locked. And watched the vault lid go on and the grave closed. I asked the funeral director (friend of mine) if they had any issues with putting stuff in the casket and he said you would be surprized at what people get buried with.

As long as the item is not legal (drugs for example) they don't have an issue. He related a story of a family bringing in a suit with drugs in the pocket. They probably figured it would not be found. But it was when it fell out while dressing the guy. Shall we say it was a white powdery substance. He called the police and the family had some explaining to do.

I have a pistol that I am really fond of. I though about having it buried with me. But my son is fond of it because it's mine. I am leaving it with him as a heirloom for the family.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Better than the guy I ran into at Walmart a few weeks ago looking for .308 ammo for the small handgun his brother left him when his brother died. Yes I did set him straight.
    I try not to make fun of someone's ignorance regarding firearms. It can alienate someone just getting started and we need as many folks on our side as we can get. When I first started getting interested, I know that I made some stupid comments and asked some dumb questions. I still misspeak and I sure don't know everything, even though I have learned a lot over the years. The other day, someone was asking me about a S&W revolver that I own and I called my model 63 a 64. I tend to mix up the model numbers of the 34 and 63 on occasion, they being basically the same handgun, but one in blued and the other stainless. I just learned that silencers are now legal to hunt with in Indiana.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    I try not to make fun of someone's ignorance regarding firearms. It can alienate someone just getting started and we need as many folks on our side as we can get. When I first started getting interested, I know that I made some stupid comments and asked some dumb questions. I still misspeak and I sure don't know everything, even though I have learned a lot over the years. The other day, someone was asking me about a S&W revolver that I own and I called my model 63 a 64. I tend to mix up the model numbers of the 34 and 63 on occasion, they being basically the same handgun, but one in blued and the other stainless. I just learned that silencers are now legal to hunt with in Indiana.

Good for you. I try to be very patient with new shooters. Any question is better than an unasked question that could result in harm to the firearm or the person/observers.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Perhaps in her younger days, the wife ran an house of ill repute on the side, but closed it because it interfered with her bank robbery habit. Having racked up a long string of felony convictions, she would be an ineligible possessor to inherit the 1911, in which case she, as the executor of the estate, could pass it on to someone else. … Someone who could then place the 1911 in the casket for her. But we're getting well and truly into the realm of fiction here. I mean, who, valuing the firearm as a firearm, would willingly let it be buried?

Someone who values the wishes of their loved one more than a piece of metal that can be replaced for a few green rectangles. To disobey any wish of the dead - especially one specifically requested of me, within my power to grant - this to me is one of the gravest sins and disloyalties possible. Just my stance on it.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    We buried some valuables with my dad when he past. I put them in the casket and watched it be closed and locked. And watched the vault lid go on and the grave closed. I asked the funeral director (friend of mine) if they had any issues with putting stuff in the casket and he said you would be surprized at what people get buried with.

I tell families they can put in anything legal and I just have to be able to get the lid closed. I've been the last to see some nice shotguns and lever-action rifles.

Could a person get cremated with a gun? Is the fire hot enough to melt the metal components?

Yes, they could be cremated with it as long as it was unloaded. No, the metal parts would still be there.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County

I was polite when talking with him, pointing out he most likely had a .380. Had a good 5 minute discussion on the guns he got but he was called away before I could recommend INGO.

Top Bottom