• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Did the weekly grocery shopping last night at the Brownsburg Wal-Mart. It got me wondering tonight that I'm not really sure if our grocery bill is high or low. On average, we spend between $180-$200 a week. That's not including the bullets I buy that night at Wal-Mart either.
    It averages between 180-200 because we may have to get laundry detergent, dog food, other things every other few weeks. And this is just my wife and I.

So, what's your average weekly grocery bill?

VaGriller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 15, 2010
    Avon
    About $150/week for myself, wife and 3 kids. Thats eating meats/veggies every night, box lunches & eggs/cereal/bacon for breakfast. Does not include the occasional fast food lunch or treating the boys to a sweet at a ice cream place.

To clarify, that does not includes laundry detergent, paper towels, toilet paper or dog food for 2 german shepherds.

Last edited:

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    Average of $100 a week for the wife and I, plus our 4 pets. You must eat rather well to spend double that a week! This includes food, cleaning supplies, and general household goods (trash bags, paper plates, etc.)

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    $200 a week, that's for myself, my wife and our 1 year old son.

This includes the babies food, diapers and formula ( much less than he needed before ).

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    $112 per week for food and incidentals (cleaning supplies, TP, etc... food, diapers, all items used to run the household.) This is for a family of 5.

I used to think we were overspending, till I read some of the previous posts. :):

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Around $150.00 per week.
    It was a lot less until my Wife was diagnosed with Diabetes and high Cholesterol.
    "Healthy" food is a lot more expensive than the unhealthy kind. :n00b:
    Mike

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Detroit
    About $150 per week for me and the wife and our 2 APBT (65lbs) dogs including household items, toiletries etc..... Steak twice a month and plenty of poultry fruits & veggies lotz of water and natural juice.....

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I would seriously like to see your meal plans for a month. Care to share?

It isn't so much a plan I guess. We shop at Aldi (mostly), I mostly buy basic staples and then create meals. Buy mostly canned goods, frozen chicken, potato's, rice, tuna. Throw in bacon, beef, and such as that when on sale. Milk, bread and eggs are usually what we go over on (which isn't a big deal).

As for eating out, I meant to say its $40 per person per month.

Its possible, you just have to be willing to do it. The only "prepared foods" we get are chicken nuggets and totinos pizza (with occasional splurges).

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    For my family of five plus the dog we spend between $125-175 a week. That includes all food, toiletries, pool chemicals ect.....

But we do not buy any meat from the store other than chicken. We have a whole steer and two hogs butchered every year, plus deer meat.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Weekly 150 for family of 5

45 for dogs and cats

25 for horse feed and about 400 a year to pay the hay guy to do my fields-round bales

75 to 100 eating out each week-but doing less recently

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    We don't shop weekly except for the essentials like milk and such. We budget around $400 for the month (wife, myself, and two small children) and we're pretty close to that across the month. This isn't including pet food, cleaning supplies, etc. This is food only.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I try to stick to my budget of $100.00 per week and I do a great job of it.
    There are some weeks I spend less than $100 and it does include everything. On accasions I do spend a little over. Just depends.
    I hate grocery shopping and I am the one who gets stuck with it.:n00b:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Average of $100 a week for the wife and I, plus our 4 pets. You must eat rather well to spend double that a week! This includes food, cleaning supplies, and general household goods (trash bags, paper plates, etc.)

Yeah, health food is crazy expensive. But you can't put a price on your health, right? We eat lots of chicken and other lean meat, and a bunch of vegetables throughout the day.

Top Bottom