• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Elkhart
    Since you brought it up, I must admit. I have hunted in Michigan, Canada and around Indiana for the last 50+ years and I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone hunting with an AR. :)

I agree, I have never seen anyone east of the Missouri River use an AR or similar platform to hunt. They are widespread out West for coyotes. It seems they are pretty popular down South to hunt hogs, but I have no personal experience

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    When you hear people talking about how nobody hunts with an assault rifle, what do you say, or think quietly to yourself? I really enjoy using mine to hunt either coyotes, or deer (if i can where im at). has anyone here used theirs for other game? antelope, sheep, bear or elk?

Really? You use an Assault Rifle to hunt? Please, you are adding fuel to their fire. Learn what the heck you are talking about before you talk. You sound stupid. You job in Our Battle is to educate the public. What you are doing is confirming what they are saying.

An Assault Rifle is a machine gun my friend and you have just confessed on a public forum that you own one and you really enjoy using yours to hunt. I know of no State where it is legal to use a machine gun to hunt with.

You older guys should know better.

The next knock on your door may just be the ATF.

Yes, I am abit angry to read what you and others have and are saying.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Elkhart
    VN I understand where you're coming from, but I think we understand the difference between a true assault rifle and the AR-15. I don't want to bicker about it.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    The authors of the second amendment wanted to guarantee that in the event that the government succeeded in turning the military against the citizens, the citizens could defend themselves, hopefully successfully. What the authors of the 2nd amendment intended was for the people to be AT LEAST as well armed as the military.

The 2nd amendment has nothing to do with hunting, but it also was not written to allow me a defense against a common criminal. It is a doomsday provision to be employed in the event of a hostile takeover by a tyrannical government.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I know of very few people that even own assault weapons much less hunt with them. But I know of many that hunt with AR15's ect. My last coyote hunt was with an AR15. It was a blast.
    Yup....
    And there are plenty of groundhogs that wish I hadn't been hunting them with an AR. :D

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    VN I understand where you're coming from, but I think we understand the difference between a true assault rifle and the AR-15. I don't want to bicker about it.

The problem is that you are using their narrative. Stop it please. We will never win if we keep using their loaded language.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When you hear people talking about how nobody hunts with an assault rifle, what do you say, or think quietly to yourself? I really enjoy using mine to hunt either coyotes, or deer (if i can where im at). has anyone here used theirs for other game? antelope, sheep, bear or elk?

Being that I don't know anybody personally with a TRUE, FULLY automatic, select fire assault rifle, I can say that I don't know anybody that hunts with one. :D

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    The authors of the second amendment wanted to guarantee that in the event that the government succeeded in turning the military against the citizens, the citizens could defend themselves, hopefully successfully. What the authors of the 2nd amendment intended was for the people to be AT LEAST as well armed as the military.

The 2nd amendment has nothing to do with hunting, but it also was not written to allow me a defense against a common criminal. It is a doomsday provision to be employed in the event of a hostile takeover by a tyrannical government.

This. And nobody needs to tell me what I need and don't need.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    the second amendment has nothing at all to do with hunting.

The problem is that you are using their narrative. Stop it please. We will never win if we keep using their loaded language.

This right here! ^^^
    Change the narrative:
    Modern sporting rifles
    Magazines
    Our constitutional acknowledged defense against tyranny. The same as the way our country was founded.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    No such thing in the world as an 'assault rifle' exists. I've said this a dozen times and will continue to say it: if I viciously beat someone with an Estwing 16 oz. framing hammer, would that then make it an 'assault hammer'? Not being rhetorical. Yes, or no? Or can we admit that pretty much anything can be used to 'assault' someone else and drop the word as it relates to anything regarding firearms?
    I am so very tired of having to hear this 'assault rifle' :bs: every day.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    As others have said, I make sure I inform the person there is no such thing as an "assault rifle." It's a semi-automatic rifle. I make sure that they understand the terms "assault rifle" and "assault weapon" were coined specifically to draw an emotional response. I inform them the only thing these guns have in common with the military select-fire and full auto rifles is the appearance.

They'll then try to argue the 30 round magazine (they'll usually say clip, which I'll also correct). I then inform them that a guy can carry a bunch of 10 round magazines and reload within a second or two if he's had ANY practice at all. In fact, the Virginia Tech shooter used ONLY 10 round magazines.

If they argue my correction of their terms, as has happened, I inform them that if they're going to call for the ban of something, they need to know EXACTLY what they're talking about. If they insist on coming back to the hunting argument, I point out that the 2nd Amendment doesn't talk about hunting, it talks about the security of a free state and the right of THE PEOPLE to keep and bear arms.

They can't stand logic and truth and will try to avoid it by using emotional arguments. I point out that politicians know the statistics of crimes very well and they don't really care. They use emotional arguments to get "this one common sense step," which is nothing more than a stepping stone. I point out that the last ban did NOTHING to stop crimes and that columbine happened during the last ban. It was repealed because it did nothing and was proven to have done nothing, yet they want another one anyway.

When this doesn't work (and it won't), they'll clamor to further restrict firearms. They might go for handguns, or rifles, or all semi-automatics, but there WILL be a next step. When THAT doesn't work (and it won't), they'll take a further step. It won't happen in a year, but it will happen. The politicians are smart enough to know they can't go for an all out ban, they have to take a little at a time, and they'll use emotional triggers to do just that.

Can you tell this is a touchy subject for me? Please, write your reps and tell them NO FURTHER GUN CONTROL. NONE. NOT EVEN A LITTLE BIT.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    What part of "Congress shall make no law" is so hard to understand?

No federal gun regulations. PERIOD.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    184407_519805324707720_1801867200_n.jpg

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    MSR, yep. Multi-use Sporting Rifle. 22 for small game, 5.56 for med game, 458 for large game and a ton of others for every thing in between. AR15 most versatile rifle ever made. I agree that 2A has absolutely nothing to do with hunting. It's all about keeping our government under control. Something they're not happy about. Repeal the NFA laws as they're illegal and have done nothing for safety as well. Just one more infringement on or rights.
    When are we going to finally get a Pro 2A president? Not some wimpy wishy washy one either. We need someone who will flat out fight for our rights first and foremost.

Top Bottom